Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota adding automatic engine shutoff and automatic park to future models

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-19, 10:02 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Toyota adding automatic engine shutoff and automatic park to future models

Toyota intends to further enhance the safety of its 2020 models with two new customer protection features for the North American market: automatic engine shutoff and automatic park. For cars equipped with the carmaker's Smart Key System keyless entry, automatic engine shutoff does exactly what it says "after a pre-determined period of time in the event the vehicle is left running." Toyotas with keyless entry already sound a chime and provide a visual warning about a running engine; the new system enhances those two cautions as well.

Toyota didn't specify how long is "a pre-determined time." Nor did it explain if this will operate when the car is idling but there's a driver in the vehicle, or if it's only when the car detects the driver leaving. A New York Times story last year noted the deaths of some 28 drivers over 12 years, in which the drivers unintentionally left their cars running in their garages. The reason has been identified as "keyless" proximity fobs and push-button start, where owners, perhaps older drivers more accustomed to a keyed ignition, overlooked the fact they didn't turn off the engine, which flooded their homes with exhaust fumes.

The Toyota feature could address that scenario. A similar implementation in the Jaguar XF, however, turns the car off when the driver puts the car in Park and unbuckles the seatbelt, even if the driver remains in the car.

Toyota says a future upgrade for automatic shutoff will send a reminder to a smartphone app.

Automatic park is designed to curtail rollaways and will only be available on models with electronic shifters or parking brakes. In this case, Toyota is clear that the system operates if the driver exits the vehicle and hasn't put the vehicle in Park. In that case, the car will either shift into to Park itself, or activate the electronic parking brake.
Source
Old 06-16-19, 02:22 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

My Mercedes will turn off the engine after about 30 seconds if I leave with it running. This only happens when the car is fully warmed up and usually the engine start/stop has already engaged. If it’s a cold start, it’s smart enough to not turn off since I guess it thinks you are warming up the engine.
Old 06-16-19, 02:24 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Good!

I passed on recommending the 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid to my parents because it has the push-button start and was afraid that they would forget to shut off the engine.
Old 06-16-19, 02:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Automatic park is designed to curtail rollaways and will only be available on models with electronic shifters or parking brakes. In this case, Toyota is clear that the system operates if the driver exits the vehicle and hasn't put the vehicle in Park. In that case, the car will either shift into to Park itself, or activate the electronic parking brake.

To me, it's (more or less) obvious what's behind this.......Star Trek actor Anton Yelchin's death from his Grand Cherokee rolling away and pinning him, when he exited and thought he had it in Park, but didn't. But part of that was not necessarily just a lack of an automatic-Park mechanism, but a poorly-designed shifter.....a design that Chrysler has since scrapped.
Old 06-16-19, 08:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,560 Likes on 1,846 Posts

I think both of these make sense. Toyota has had an auto park at least in the Prius since 2004 (ours auto parked when shut off)

Question will be, if you drive off without the key will the car die while its being driven?
Old 06-17-19, 07:52 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i still dont get why how this is so hard for people, never had an issue leaving a car running when i got our first keyless entry car 06 IS350
Old 06-17-19, 07:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think both of these make sense. Toyota has had an auto park at least in the Prius since 2004 (ours auto parked when shut off)

Question will be, if you drive off without the key will the car die while its being driven?
They can't allow this; it's a safety hazard. But what about when you reach your destination?
Old 06-17-19, 08:01 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i still dont get why how this is so hard for people, never had an issue leaving a car running when i got our first keyless entry car 06 IS350
I agree 100%. How do you not realize, when you get out of your car in your residential garage, that engine is running?

The only way this made sense to me is if you had an engine stop/start system, and it stopped when you pulled in the garage, and then a few minute later, restarted because you thought you turned the car off, but it was only in "Ready" mode.
Old 06-17-19, 11:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

probably trying to prevent another lawyer happy lawsuit from some old people who dont know how to operate a car, already had it with unintended acceleration from old people who didnt know they hit the wrong pedal
Old 06-17-19, 01:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

probably trying to prevent another lawyer happy lawsuit from some old people who dont know how to operate a car, already had it with unintended acceleration from old people who didnt know they hit the wrong pedal

Don't blame it on age. Confusing controls and designs can be a problem for anyone. It took me weeks to get used to the joy-stick shifter in my own car, and its unusual patterns.
Old 06-17-19, 02:21 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

We, the members of Car Chat, tend to forget that we are enthusiasts and closely follow automotive technology. But people who do not -- perhaps 90% of the car-buying public, if not higher -- do not follow automotive technology; they may be easily confused and intimidated by new technology.

My wife really wanted a Lexus before we bought ours a few years ago; but now, she does not really like to drive it. The lack of an ignition key and even the position of the parking brake pedal (rather than central brake lever) has her confused.

And I am afraid that my father, who is old and getting rather absent-minded, may forget to turn off the ignition if there was no ignition key to physically remove. A number of people, who are not auto enthusiasts, ask me about locking, unlocking and driving off with no ignition key; they have become used to a physical key to do all of this, and suddenly not needing one in their hand could be very confusing and intimidating.
Old 06-17-19, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
We, the members of Car Chat, tend to forget that we are enthusiasts and closely follow automotive technology. But people who do not -- perhaps 90% of the car-buying public, if not higher -- do not follow automotive technology; they may be easily confused and intimidated by new technology.
Even the enthusiast magazines sometimes get confused and bad-mouth overly-complex designs. For several years, Car & Driver, Road & Track, and Motor Trend didn't have many nice things to say about Cadillac's CUE system or Ford's SYNC/My-Touch. When BMW's I-Drive and Audi's MMI debuted, they were also among the banes of the same magazines...I still don't care for either one, even today.
Old 06-17-19, 04:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,560 Likes on 1,846 Posts

I don't get it either...but obviously it does confuse some people
Old 06-17-19, 04:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don't get it either...but obviously it does confuse some people
I can’t speak for the younger gen. I just know my parents who are 78 each, have more 50+ years of driving with a key. I have seen them forget to turn off their 4Runner multiple times. Not so their Lexus or new Avalon.
Old 06-17-19, 05:09 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sulu

My wife really wanted a Lexus before we bought ours a few years ago; but now, she does not really like to drive it. The lack of an ignition key and even the position of the parking brake pedal (rather than central brake lever) has her confused.

And I am afraid that my father, who is old and getting rather absent-minded, may forget to turn off the ignition if there was no ignition key to physically remove. A number of people, who are not auto enthusiasts, ask me about locking, unlocking and driving off with no ignition key; they have become used to a physical key to do all of this, and suddenly not needing one in their hand could be very confusing and intimidating.
While I agree, there is still no difference in the sound of a running engine in a residential garage whether you have a physical key or not. If you step out of the car, everyone, enthusiast or not, should hear the engine running and realize something is wrong.

Quick Reply: Toyota adding automatic engine shutoff and automatic park to future models