GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Around how many miles is the GX470 good for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-19, 08:39 AM
shinbo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Around how many miles is the GX470 good for?

Hello everyone,

So I have about 156k miles on the 2007 GX470 and it's getting to a point where I'm not sure if it's worth putting more money into the car. It's been a consistently reliable beast for almost 10 years but just last year there's been more and more issues creeping up and with a car pushing that many miles I'm not sure if it's worth it to keep putting money into it for fear of other stuff going wrong due to its age.

Last year the airbags broke so I ended up replacing it with metaltech and now apparently it's been driving for a few years with an exhaust manifold leak. Just trying to find out if it's worth putting more money into fixing the manifold leak.
Old 06-14-19, 09:53 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

These vehicles are well worth keeping if you properly maintained the vehicle with the required services requested by Lexus... not just oil changes at jiffy lube. This engine/power train will literally last forever if you properly maintain and correct issues when they occur.

Now... if you went 150,000 miles just changing the oil&filter every 3-5k and the air filter every now and then. You may not get many more miles at all before a serious issue occurs in the transmission or 4WD system.
I’ve also seen very nice vehicles that ended up stacking small problems/repairs to the point that the vehicle needs $5k-$8k in a single quote(this is an occupancies with all luxury brands). This generally happens to someone who buys a used luxury vehicle from some Used Car Lot on a spontaneous purchase.

With that that being said... it’s a mechanical device...
there a very good saying that’s been around forever... “if it moves, it’s gonna break.. and if it moves faster, it’s gonna break faster”. Lol

so the only way to own a vehicle you won’t be putting some money into from time to time(sometimes lots of money).... is to continually own a vehicle under a manufacturer warranty, with a service contract, and a tire/wheel policy.

That answer was way longer than intended. But a quick answer is that.. “yes” the GX470 is a vehicle than can easily achieve 300 plus thousand miles with proper maintenance and doing repairs when they are needed.
The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (06-20-19)
Old 06-14-19, 12:42 PM
shinbo
Rookie

Thanks Mr. Jason, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer.
Old 06-14-19, 02:42 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

If it’s any help, I have a friend...a single mom, not a car person who has a 2004 land cruiser, same engine drive train...500,000 miles...only service outside of normal stuff was a fuel pump...so use that to decide what the end of this vehicle is...
Rygar470 (06-20-19)
Old 06-15-19, 06:56 AM
BHbass59
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently bought an 03 with 176K, all in very good shape but knowing that I'd probably be spending money on it each year. But its the perfect tow vehicle for us and my wife loves driving it, we have a top-notch local 1-man shop that specializes in Toyotas and off-road 4wd, so I figure I'll be good for many years and still be ahead compared to buying something new
Old 06-16-19, 07:01 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

The saying goes...

“It’s either a car note or car repairs.” Lol
The following 2 users liked this post by MrJason:
IanB2 (06-19-19), Rygar470 (06-20-19)
Old 06-16-19, 07:07 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

I always buy vehicles for myself that end up with tons of miles. I’m hoping the GX tops the Colorado I had(2cars ago)... it had 450,000 on it.
You can make anything last if you do the proper repairs/services.
Of course I can pull an engine and rebuild in my driveway. But that doesn’t mean someone who doesn’t work on cars can’t get good affordable repairs done... if they don’t feel they can achieve it themselves.

Just stay tat away from the dealers and high dollar Indy shops.... you are footing the bill for those free drinks and tv’s everywhere.
Find a good tech that does work on the weekends. We love Toyota’s/Lexus vehicle’s. They are so easy to work on. And you’ll get a great price from someone you can get to know and trust.
Old 06-16-19, 12:44 PM
shinbo
Rookie

Yeah this GX470 has been rock solid since 2007 and only had the alternator replaced one time before. Now last year had the suspension airbags popped and now the lingering exhaust manifold leak just worried that its gonna be downhill from here at 156k miles. Maybe I'm just traumatized from owning a BMW before.
Old 06-16-19, 09:09 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shinbo
Yeah this GX470 has been rock solid since 2007 and only had the alternator replaced one time before. Now last year had the suspension airbags popped and now the lingering exhaust manifold leak just worried that its gonna be downhill from here at 156k miles. Maybe I'm just traumatized from owning a BMW before.
Owning a German luxury car that is out of warranty will make you “gun shy”... I hand out $5k-$15k repair estimates all day on Audi’s and Porsche. But those are generally to people who just purchased a vehicle from some shady used car lot.
Rygar470 (06-20-19)
Old 06-17-19, 01:31 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello everyone,

So I have about 156k miles on the 2007 GX470 and it's getting to a point where I'm not sure if it's worth putting more money into the car. It's been a consistently reliable beast for almost 10 years but just last year there's been more and more issues creeping up and with a car pushing that many miles I'm not sure if it's worth it to keep putting money into it for fear of other stuff going wrong due to its age.

Last year the airbags broke so I ended up replacing it with metaltech and now apparently it's been driving for a few years with an exhaust manifold leak. Just trying to find out if it's worth putting more money into fixing the manifold leak.
Your GX is now 12 years old right?
Best guess (assuming normal maintenance) - 300k+ miles on the engine, 200 to 250k on the tranny but the plastics/rubber should be aging - boots, radiator parts stuff like that

Check for rust and then make a call I say
Old 06-17-19, 07:24 PM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Having owned 3 BMW’s, a Mercedes, and worst of all, a Range Rover, I feel your pain. The worry on these GX’s (and almost any Toyota really) is FAR less. Toyota’s really are just better vehicles, reliability wise anyway.
Rygar470 (06-20-19)
Old 06-17-19, 07:48 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RPH74
Having owned 3 BMW’s, a Mercedes, and worst of all, a Range Rover, I feel your pain. The worry on these GX’s (and almost any Toyota really) is FAR less. Toyota’s really are just better vehicles, reliability wise anyway.
Toyota/Lexus stick to designs much longer than Germans do. They have far less mid year changes and they don’t use 3 different alternators for the same model, year, and engine like the Germans do.
This results in a better overall quality that lasts far longer... but the downside is that they always seem outdated 6 months after their release.
But a PCV valve cost me $12 on the 4.7L GX versus an Audi or BMW(any Audi or bmw) PCV valve that will run you from $150-$300(and sometimes a full day to install it).

I love my Audi’s. But when it comes to a daily driver I need to last forever... it’ll be a Toyota or Lexus.
The following 3 users liked this post by MrJason:
IanB2 (06-19-19), RPH74 (06-17-19), Rygar470 (06-20-19)
Old 06-19-19, 08:28 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

"The most expensive car to own is a cheap Euro", lol.

I got rid of my E55 AMG wagon as it was just always needing something, didn't ever give me a break. Very cool car, but far from a "fill with gas, and change the oil" machine.

These GX's will last as long as you look after them, rust is the only real thing that will ruin the fun.
RPH74 (06-22-19)
Old 06-20-19, 08:38 AM
Rygar470
Lead Lap

Received 136 Likes on 117 Posts

I too, have owned BMW, Audi, VW, etc. as European brands. and Keep coming back to Toyota/Lexus(Also Subaru).

Oh and to mirror what Mr. Jason was commenting about PCV, The infamous spider hose on several of my Audis were a nightmare!!! Not to mention costly.
MrJason (06-21-19)
Old 06-21-19, 09:09 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rygar470
I too, have owned BMW, Audi, VW, etc. as European brands. and Keep coming back to Toyota/Lexus(Also Subaru).

Oh and to mirror what Mr. Jason was commenting about PCV, The infamous spider hose on several of my Audis were a nightmare!!! Not to mention costly.

I keep my my wife in a new Audi every 2-3years. I lease them with a fantastic employee discount... I’ll purchase the lease as soon as I can make equity on them(general at the 24 month mark). Then I roll that equity into a new lease and use it as the down payment with the employee and loyalty discounts.

I would never ever purchase one to own because of the cost after warranty. Even though I can scatter an Audi engine in my driveway and put back together blindfolded... the time and cost of parts is too high.

I purchase vehicles for me that I can grab at a steal. I really don’t car what brand since I fix cars for a living. I put around 60k a year in mileage on my vehicle due to the work commute.

I really lucked out out in the last 6 months... grabbing a 2005 4Runner limited(83,000 miles) and 2005 GX470(140,000) miles)... for $5,900 and $7,000 due to the Toyota and Lexus dealer overcharging for failed SAIS systems on each car. But I let my mom use the 4Runner because she just won’t get rid of that POS Honda oddessey I hate working on. Lol
The following 2 users liked this post by MrJason:
Lextazy (06-21-19), Rygar470 (06-21-19)

Quick Reply: Around how many miles is the GX470 good for?