LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

So how's your Ls460 aging?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-19, 07:13 AM
Jlacck
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So how's your Ls460 aging?

So for those that have a 4th gen model (especially the 2013-2014 model LS460), how do you feel the car is aging relative to the newer cars and technology people are using in cars built more recently. Are there any features or options this generation lacks that makes it feel more long in the tooth now?
Old 06-14-19, 08:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Mines not lacking any tech that I miss. Having had the car with radar cruise and without radar cruise, I don't consider it a big deal...I actually don't really care for it.

If you like "tech" this just isn't the car for you. Even a brand new LS500 isn't a car with great tech.
Old 06-14-19, 11:33 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Mines not lacking any tech that I miss. Having had the car with radar cruise and without radar cruise, I don't consider it a big deal...I actually don't really care for it.

If you like "tech" this just isn't the car for you. Even a brand new LS500 isn't a car with great tech.
steve was at the dealer today, i met a guy driving a sc430 loves the car, haha 2003 ls430
two weeks ago he traded for ls500

hes miserable with it
said , turbo lag, not as fast, said build quality not the same
said the tech was amazing.

i don't know about not as fast and not as quality but he hates it, paid 90k
Old 06-14-19, 11:42 AM
Jlacck
Driver

I think the lack of great tech is probably what worries me a little bit about the LS460. I'm interested in a 2013/2014 model but there seems to be a host of features missing that I think make a little more sense in today's technologically driven world.

Stuff like heads up display, adaptive cruise or radar cruise control, breaking assistance, lane departure, etc are things I'd be interested in. I know the LS doesn't have HUD in the 460 models, so I can probably live without that although it is a desired feature.

The lack of many of these options gave me the impression that the car may age quickly relative to the speed of advancing technology. That's why I was wondering if anyone was facing this type of dilemma with the LS.
Old 06-14-19, 11:53 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

I have a 2013 and want Apple Car Play and several more USB ports for charging. Other than that it’s ok
Old 06-14-19, 11:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
said the tech was amazing.
Its really not. When you compare it to what BMW, Audi, Mercedes, and others are doing even the latest tech from Lexus is VERY old.

Originally Posted by Jlacck
I think the lack of great tech is probably what worries me a little bit about the LS460. I'm interested in a 2013/2014 model but there seems to be a host of features missing that I think make a little more sense in today's technologically driven world.

Stuff like heads up display, adaptive cruise or radar cruise control, breaking assistance, lane departure, etc are things I'd be interested in. I know the LS doesn't have HUD in the 460 models, so I can probably live without that although it is a desired feature.

The lack of many of these options gave me the impression that the car may age quickly relative to the speed of advancing technology. That's why I was wondering if anyone was facing this type of dilemma with the LS.
It all depends on what it is you want out of a car. If tech is a big thing you want, you're going to be disappointed. Everything works fine and its functional, but if you sit in a BMW or an Audi or a Mercedes, even from the same model year the difference is immediately clear.

What the LS is is an extremely well built, quiet, great riding car that is extremely smooth and comfortable, and it will be extremely reliable compared to its peers. The tech is already dated, and it will get moreso, but those qualities to me don't get "dated". You can buy something else with better tech, but you're trading many of those other qualities...especially reliability.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
mckellyb (06-15-19), Soldier76 (06-15-19)
Old 06-14-19, 11:55 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

sir, if tech and cutting edge technology are at the top of your list this is not the car for you
Its a steal of a vehicle on the used car market for
1) naturally asprirated v8 power and smoothnes
2) build quality
3) highway luxury cruiser
4) solidity and safety of build and size
5)Lexus experience and ownership experience for 20 to 30k

If your looking for state of the art stuff look to bmw or Mercedes this is not the car.
even the latest systems 2.0 on lexus loaner cars are way behind the germans
good luck
The following 2 users liked this post by mikesrx350:
All4Lexus (06-23-19), Soldier76 (06-15-19)
Old 06-14-19, 12:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FunFact
An LS500 is significantly faster than an ls430 and sc430, so either his perception is off or his car is not running properly. The 0-60 is almost a full second faster and it’s a full second faster in the quarter mile than the 430. And almost half a second faster than the SC.
Its all feel. IMHO the 4.3L car feels "quicker" than the LS460 even though the LS460 is much higher HP and quicker 0-60, the 430 feels "peppier" because of the gearing I guess. Having driven the LS500, I didnt think it felt any faster than my LS460 unless it was totally WOT.
Old 06-14-19, 12:32 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

My LS500 is not any slower than my past 4 LS460s. Tech wise it's better than the LS460 as it has a HUD, Apple Carplay, etc. I don't really do jack rabbit starts, so I haven't noticed any turbo lag. It also drives very well on the highway. The seats are a little firmer when compared to the LS460 that I traded in for this car.

Tech though gets dated very quickly with most modern electronic gizmos being refreshed every 12 - 18 months, so if you keep your cars for a few years you will have to accept that.
Old 06-14-19, 12:40 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
My LS500 is not any slower than my past 4 LS460s. Tech wise it's better than the LS460 as it has a HUD, Apple Carplay, etc. I don't really do jack rabbit starts, so I haven't noticed any turbo lag. It also drives very well on the highway. The seats are a little firmer when compared to the LS460 that I traded in for this car.

Tech though gets dated very quickly with most modern electronic gizmos being refreshed every 12 - 18 months, so if you keep your cars for a few years you will have to accept that.

well said, i forgot he also mentioned the seats were narrower and firmer than his ls430
i know the ls500 is a great car, i just can understand it after 9 years of development makes no sense
Old 06-14-19, 02:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nsaldanh

Tech is of course better in the LS500 vs the LS460 but its still way behind vehicles like the S Class, A8, 7 Series, etc
Old 06-14-19, 02:18 PM
Jlacck
Driver

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
sir, if tech and cutting edge technology are at the top of your list this is not the car for you
Its a steal of a vehicle on the used car market for
1) naturally asprirated v8 power and smoothnes
2) build quality
3) highway luxury cruiser
4) solidity and safety of build and size
5)Lexus experience and ownership experience for 20 to 30k

If your looking for state of the art stuff look to bmw or Mercedes this is not the car.
even the latest systems 2.0 on lexus loaner cars are way behind the germans
good luck
For me personally it's not so much about having the most best TEC but about having technology that makes the driving experience more enjoyable.

I sit in Atlanta traffic which can be very congested as it is notoriously known for. Having a car that can transverse that congestion while isolating me from the drag of the traffic is what I am ultimately seeking. A car that gives me the technology to experience that isolation by being "immersed in the car" would be the ultimate goal of mine.

Things like a great sound system, different audio options, comfort, and driving assistance are technologies allows a car to serve you better in my opinion. It would be like having a tagline that asks "does your car take care of you in traffic!?"

In any case, I asked about the aging of these vehicles because some of the cars in my price range have great tech, but hit and miss reliability. The Lexus seems like it's behind the times in that area but I think only current owners can really answer to that.
Old 06-14-19, 02:20 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

I once made the mistake of trading my 2009 SC430 (Pebble Beach Edition, 15k miles) in on a much newer Lexus IS350C. I did so in order to obtain more updated technology (the SC430 was pretty outdated - had a nice cassette player though ;-)

I nearly immediately realized what a huge mistake it was. The 350C was a very nice car in most respects, with a zippy 3.5L V6 that was (on paper) quicker than the SC430's V8, but the car just didn't feel "special" to me like the SC430s all do. Despite the more updated tech, I RAN back to an SC430 very soon after that, and have not looked back. So for me, the lesson was that the qualities I LOVE in my Lexus cars were more the amazing peace and quiet, refinement, soft leather, and beautiful wood. The tech is nice, but not essential to the qualities that make Lexus so special to me. I am extremely happy right now with my 2010 LS600hL (Executive Seating Package) and my 2006 SC430 (22k miles). I really don't feel much need to upgrade any time soon, and there's no other car on the market that can replace the SC430 in my mind.
The following 4 users liked this post by riknchar:
dlbuckls10 (06-14-19), Jlacck (06-14-19), mikesrx350 (06-15-19), Soldier76 (06-15-19)
Old 06-14-19, 03:18 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Having a 2014 LS - and a 2018 LX - yes, the rate of change for "Tech" is rapid and LEXUS is slow to adapt.

Frankly - having spent serious seat time in a TESLA - I an seriously considering.
The tech is bleeding edge and continuously updated with over the air updates.

It's MUCH faster and quieter too....
Old 06-14-19, 03:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

For me personally it's not so much about having the most best TEC but about having technology that makes the driving experience more enjoyable.

I sit in Atlanta traffic which can be very congested as it is notoriously known for. Having a car that can transverse that congestion while isolating me from the drag of the traffic is what I am ultimately seeking. A car that gives me the technology to experience that isolation by being "immersed in the car" would be the ultimate goal of mine.

Things like a great sound system, different audio options, comfort, and driving assistance are technologies allows a car to serve you better in my opinion. It would be like having a tagline that asks "does your car take care of you in traffic!?"

In any case, I asked about the aging of these vehicles because some of the cars in my price range have great tech, but hit and miss reliability. The Lexus seems like it's behind the times in that area but I think only current owners can really answer to that.
Sounds to me like semi-autonomous driving tech is really important to you, in which case the LS is probably not the way to go. The radar cruise will manage the throttle and brake for you in traffic, but cars with that feature are pretty rare, and the lane keep even with the cars that do have it isn't very sophisticated.

Quick Reply: So how's your Ls460 aging?