IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Test Drive Difficulties

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-19, 01:17 PM
irkthejerk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test Drive Difficulties

So, I had a 2015 IS350 F Sport that got t boned by an 18 wheeler and totalled in January. Since the accident I've been stuck in my work truck saving for a fun weekend car. I've driven a ton of different cars and am really in love with the 987 Cayman s. Higher mileage German cars scare my bank account though and I wanted to test drive an ISF before I pull the trigger next month. Unfortunately the closest one I can test drive is over 200 miles away (it's in Miami and I'm in Tampa). Did anyone else run into this issue? Im more than willing to travel for the purchase but not sure about a 400+ Mile drive for a test ride.
Old 06-13-19, 02:10 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Why don't you ask around in the Tampa area and see if there are any owners willing to let you drive their car? Its a pretty great community, I wouldn't be surprised if you find someone willing. That is how I was able to test drive one, as I was in a similar situation.

If you ever find yourself in the Tallahassee area you're welcome to drive mine.
Old 06-13-19, 02:13 PM
irkthejerk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WillAP1
Why don't you ask around in the Tampa area and see if there are any owners willing to let you drive their car? Its a pretty great community, I wouldn't be surprised if you find someone willing. That is how I was able to test drive one, as I was in a similar situation.

If you ever find yourself in the Tallahassee area you're welcome to drive mine.
That's likely the best advice I'll get. I really do appreciate that offer. Depending on how things go I might be messaging you.
Old 06-14-19, 05:10 AM
Nikeboi09
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by irkthejerk
So, I had a 2015 IS350 F Sport that got t boned by an 18 wheeler and totalled in January. Since the accident I've been stuck in my work truck saving for a fun weekend car. I've driven a ton of different cars and am really in love with the 987 Cayman s. Higher mileage German cars scare my bank account though and I wanted to test drive an ISF before I pull the trigger next month. Unfortunately the closest one I can test drive is over 200 miles away (it's in Miami and I'm in Tampa). Did anyone else run into this issue? Im more than willing to travel for the purchase but not sure about a 400+ Mile drive for a test ride.
I had to take a one way flight from Ohio to New Jersey to go see mine without even being 100% sure I was going to buy it. It is common for most of us who plan on keeping the car long term to look for an ISF even if it is out of state. My test drive was that 8.5 hour drive back home with the car.
Old 06-14-19, 06:25 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I dont know...Cayman S to an IS-F, seems like two totally different types of car you are looking at.

The IS-F will feel huge and boaty compared to that Cayman.
The following users liked this post:
vraa (06-19-19)
Old 06-19-19, 06:45 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I didn't test drive one before I bought mine. Flew from Ohio to New York. The drive home was amazing!

The stock suspension is stiff. But you can fix that with some good coilovers. I miss my ISF!
Old 06-19-19, 10:04 AM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I lucked out that the local carmax had a 2008 that I test drove, it was tolerable in the suspension department so I figured 2012+ would be even better.
Old 06-20-19, 05:58 PM
propkapt
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow was just going to throw up a post about this problem. The scarcity of this car makes it very difficult to test drive it. I'm pretty sure I want one but I don't want to spend 5 hrs on the road to find out. If anyone in NJ has one and wants to let a compete stranger drive their car PM me. Lol
Old 06-21-19, 11:33 AM
YeShrug
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Flew to Seattle and drove mine back to Austin with no test drive.
Old 06-21-19, 11:36 AM
propkapt
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YeShrug
Flew to Seattle and drove mine back to Austin with no test drive.
No regrets?
Old 06-22-19, 10:37 PM
user 692802
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by irkthejerk
Flew to New Mexico from Vegas sight unseen only dealer photos i had them do a lease return ppi , had them pay for tax and reg. ( out of state buyer saved me thousands!) at the agreed price and drove her home
Old 06-22-19, 11:26 PM
KenISF
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimase
I lucked out that the local carmax had a 2008 that I test drove, it was tolerable in the suspension department so I figured 2012+ would be even better.
This is a good option to test drive as sometime Carmax does have a few F. If you are not to far they will transfer to your nearest location for free or small fee if further.
Old 06-23-19, 05:52 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by propkapt
Wow was just going to throw up a post about this problem. The scarcity of this car makes it very difficult to test drive it. I'm pretty sure I want one but I don't want to spend 5 hrs on the road to find out. If anyone in NJ has one and wants to let a compete stranger drive their car PM me. Lol
I’m in Baltimore if that’s a better drive for you.
Old 06-23-19, 09:24 AM
YeShrug
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by propkapt
No regrets?
0 regrets and I'd do it again in a heart beat (Bought it (a North Texas Car) from Lexus of Seattle, which added confidence). Never enjoyed driving a sedan so much!
propkapt (06-24-19)
Old 06-24-19, 11:55 AM
ALexusF
Pole Position

Received 164 Likes on 82 Posts

I test drove one about 2 hrs from me (2010 Silver ISF) before buying mine 2.5 months later (2011 USB ISF) in Denver, Colorado. My initial test drive was the previous owner's last ride in the vehicle (he wanted me to take a mountain road he usually took the car on and open her up in sport mode). My real test drive was the 13 hour, 958 mile road trip from Colorado to Southern California. Had the biggest smile. Good luck and hope you get a chance to test drive one!
propkapt (06-24-19)

Quick Reply: Test Drive Difficulties