Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Kia Cadenza

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-19, 07:57 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default 2020 Kia Cadenza

The 2020 Kia Cadenza, teased last week, takes a stab at bold design. A concave V-shaped grille is the main styling element up front, as our eyes constantly drift to that funky chrome every time we examine the car. It looks like Kia was just riffing off the old grille, and decided to make it bigger while adding in a crease. Those headlights are new, too. They're much narrower and smaller than the old units, and we think they help the face of the new car tremendously.

Kia attacked the rear of the Cadenza in a similar fashion. The taillights now stretch across the entire rear of the sedan, connected by an interesting dashed line coming in from both sides and meeting in the middle. It's just another example of Hyundai/Kia designing taillights with a sense of style. We're reminded of the new Hyundai Sonata that went in a bold new path itself at the NY Auto Show.

Changes to the interior are relatively significant for just a mid-cycle refresh. There's a new, widescreen 12.3-inch touchscreen that forced a new air vent layout. Along with the rethought center stack, the center console gets changed up with a new gear shift lever and button/storage layout below that. It all comes off as a much more premium design than before. Adding further to that motif is a digital gauge cluster seen on this model. The Cadenza is supposed to be a luxurious sedan, and Kia is certainly answering the call with added tech on the interior.

Unfortunately, we're still in the dark from a powertrain perspective. The Cadenza is currently offered in the U.S. exclusively paired to a 3.3-liter V6 and eight-speed automatic transmission. This reveal today was for the Korean-spec K7, (same as our Cadenza), so U.S. powertrain options remain unspoken. We'll expect details on the U.S. spec car to drop before the end of the year, and for this model to go on sale later in 2019 or sometime in 2020.
Source
Old 06-12-19, 08:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

That looks really good. I like this update.

If I were shopping this segment, the Cadenza would be very high on my list.
Old 06-12-19, 11:11 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

This looks nice. I wonder though how long Kia will continue to offer it here in the U.S. It's currently selling just a little over 100 per month and sales are down 60%-70%. It might suffer the same fate as the Azera. I'd hate to see it go away but it seems like it could happen.
Old 06-12-19, 11:36 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I surprisingly like it! Interesting DRL detail. Same with the full length tail lights that are dashes. Very different.

Funny enough, I actually saw a 2019 Cadenza this morning in a parking lot. Can't remember the last time I have seen one, or if I even did before. My dealer has never had one in stock, that I have noticed.
Old 06-14-19, 06:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

GREAT upgrade to an already great but under appreciated car.

i love that it DOESN’T have a bolt on tablet screen.
Old 06-14-19, 08:23 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 439 Likes on 362 Posts

That looks pretty good.
Old 06-14-19, 11:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Cadenza, in general, is my favorite Kia product, hands-down. With GM having dropped the Lacrosse (and about to drop the Impala), Kia could (?) get my buisness next time, if they keep this car in production.
Old 06-14-19, 11:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Cadenza, in general, is my favorite Kia product, hands-down. With GM having dropped the Lacrosse (and about to drop the Impala), Kia could (?) get my buisness next time, if they keep this car in production.
Would you consider buying a Cadenza sooner than planned to assure you could get one if it's discontinued in th U S. market?
Old 06-14-19, 11:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Would you consider buying a Cadenza sooner than planned to assure you could get one if it's discontinued in th U S. market?
Maybe....depends if the Lincoln MKZ, Toyota Avalon XLE (the XLE has better-riding tires), and Genesis G80 AWD are still in production. It will certainly be on my finalist list....and if would probably be nice if me and my brother both drove something from the same manufacturer (he has a Sportage SX) and used the same service-department.

Also would (loosely) consider the Lexus ES350 (with decent-riding tires) and become a Lexus owner, again, after some 15 years...but there are some things about the ES I don't like. I haven't really liked any of them that much since the superb 4Gen model was discontinued.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-14-19 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-14-19, 12:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

The Cadenza is one of those sedans that everyone likes, but no one buys. Kinda feel sorry for Kia in that regard. It really does look nice. I've got to suspect there is still quite a problem with society accepting the name "KIA" for a full-sized luxury car.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 06-14-19 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-14-19, 12:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Maybe....depends if the Lincoln MKZ, Toyota Avalon XLE (the XLE has better-riding tires), and Genesis G80 AWD are still in production. It will certainly be on my finalist list....and if would probably be nice if me and my brother both drove something from the same manufacturer (he has a Sportage SX) and used the same service-department.

Also would (loosely) consider the Lexus ES350 (with decent-riding tires) and become a Lexus owner, again, after some 15 years...but there are some things about the ES I don't like. I haven't really liked any of them that much since the superb 4Gen model was discontinued.
Why don’t you just keep your Lacrosse?
Old 06-14-19, 02:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why don’t you just keep your Lacrosse?
You bet I'm going to keep it...but I typically don't keep a vehicle for more than about 5-6 years. That, in my experience, is the best age-range for a balance between the flattening of the depreciation curve and the likelihood of needing major repairs...particularly on that GM 9-speed transmission, which was probably released before it was perfected.

Having said that, I will, in fact, look at the 2020 Cadenza as soon as it is released....I test-drove a 2019 earlier this year.
Old 06-14-19, 02:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The Cadenza is one of those sedans that everyone likes, but no one buys. Kinda feel sorry for Kia in that regard. It really does look nice. I've got to suspect their is still quite a problem with society accepting the name "KIA" for a full-sized luxury car.

The problem, though, as I see it, is not with the car, but with those who have pre-conceived notions about certain nameplates, and what they can and cannot produce. Having said that, though, I'll admit that I thought it strange that companies like Porsche, Bentley, Maserati, and Alfa Romeo are actually building SUVs.
Old 06-14-19, 02:35 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

The problem, though, as I see it, is not with the car, but with those who have pre-conceived notions about certain nameplates, and what they can and cannot produce. Having said that, though, I'll admit that I thought it strange that companies like Porsche, Bentley, Maserati, and Alfa Romeo are actually building SUVs.
This would be Kia's job (if they wanted to) to try and change the pre-conceived notions about the Cadenza. It appears that it is not a priority with them which is a shame.

A stark comparison are the sales of the brand new Telluride which is receiving a marketing blitz and competes in a hot and growing segment vs. a nice large sedan in a declining segment. In May Kia sold 6,273 Tellurides vs. 105 Cadenza's. Jan-May it's 17,238 Tellurides vs. 633 Caddenza's. Yikes!
Old 06-14-19, 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
May Kia sold 6,273 Tellurides vs. 105 Cadenza's. Jan-May it's 17,238 Tellurides vs. 633 Caddenza's. Yikes!
What that tells me is that those who buy or lease a Cadenza aren't trying to Keep up with the Jones's....they can think for themselves.

I looked at a couple of new Tellurides today...wasn't terribly impressed, although I didn't get around to a test-drive. Though still nice vehicles and assembled well, I didn't think the materials they used were quite as nice or solid as on some slightly earlier recent Kia products. I'll do a brief write-up on what I saw, but that is a subject for another thread, not this one.

Quick Reply: 2020 Kia Cadenza