LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Suggest sticky warning aftermarket parts

Old 06-09-19, 08:41 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts
Default Suggest sticky warning aftermarket parts

Administrator:

Lexus forums are replete with Autozone(d) Lexus' subjected to poor fitting or failed/failing/substandard quality aftermarket parts of unknown origin or composition.

Some know better but do it anyway, and that's on them, while others are unaware they are entering the automotive repair Twilight (Auto)Zone.

Suggest a sticky on topic.

Last edited by YODAONE; 06-09-19 at 08:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fit1too (06-09-19)
Old 06-09-19, 09:22 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

I've often heard that if you use Autozone starters and/or alternators, you will become proficient at removing and installing them!
Old 06-09-19, 11:07 AM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Downvote for O'Reillys break light switch. I changed it as preventative maintenance with an aftermarket one from O'Reillys, kept the OEM one which was rusty and bad looking, and had the new one fail some three months later. Put the rusty OEM switch back in, it worked fine, and it's been happy like a bug in a rug ever since! (about three years ago)

Last edited by peterls; 06-09-19 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-09-19, 11:11 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by peterls
Downvote for O'Reillys break light switch. I changed it as preventative maintenance with an aftermarket one from O'Reillys, kept the OEM one which was rusty and bad looking, and had the new one fail some three months later. Put in the old OEM switch, it worked fine, and it's been happy like a bug in a rug ever since! (about three years ago)
Rock auto ftw
Old 06-09-19, 11:20 AM
peterls
Advanced

I bought a reman Denso starter. It was done in Mexico, but it is still holding well, no trouble at all - three years later. The box and the starter looked brand new when I got it. The mechanic said you can't find OEM any more anyway, they are all remanufactured, and mostly in Mexico.
Old 06-09-19, 03:03 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

I bought a reman Denso starter. It was done in Mexico, but it is still holding well, no trouble at all - three years later. The box and the starter looked brand new when I got it. The mechanic said you can't find OEM any more anyway, they are all remanufactured, and mostly in Mexico.
Mechanics tell their customers many things...
Old 06-09-19, 03:14 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
Rock auto ftw
Things are not always as they appear...

Rock Auto has sold Aisin Timing belt kits with timing belts that appear not to be same quality as Dealer;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...eficiency.html

Rock Auto also sells Denso radiators lacking necessary seal kit (as provided when purchasing from Lexus)

They have not responded to my e-mail whether they were going to direct Denso to correct this oversight...

The value proposition of aftermarket should be they offer an improved part but alas report deficiencies.
Old 06-09-19, 03:18 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Things are not always as they appear...

Rock Auto has sold Aisin Timing belt kits with timing belts that appear not to be same quality as Dealer;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...eficiency.html

Rock Auto also sells Denso radiators lacking necessary seal kit (as provided when purchasing from Lexus)

They have not responded to my e-mail whether they were going to direct Denso to correct this oversight...

The value proposition of aftermarket should be they offer an improved part but alas report deficiencies.

Given the price Delta one can use the savings to get such things.
Old 06-09-19, 04:21 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Many parts these days suck. The various tiers of parts that some of the big box parts shops can be very disappointing. Often led by "lifetime warranty" endorsements to sway buyers for their $. Plenty of other forums (not only cars) will relay of similar stories of early failures and a treadmill of install-remove-install-remove scenarios. Parts are in limited supply or not available so these third party purchases will be a remaining option. That said we know going in that failure and disappointment is a high possibility these days. These parts are from companies that are global manufacturers so there are variables to contend with. Namely the cost cutting for profit made in China scenario. Not built to last anymore, those are far few between. The alternator I put into the Corolla was a Denso remanufactured in Mexico, others have posted that theirs came from China. This one came from Rock Auto BTW. The original died at sub 80K miles. The starter died a few weeks later and the battery to not be left alone joined them in a permanent vacation.

Yesterday I replaced a valve on an old Price Pfister faucet. The original was a made in USA that has been in use probably close to 30+ years. I was unable to source a packing washer and the brass valve was just plain worn from being used in that time. The Danco is made in China and is of much thinner construction the pieces don't interchange either. On other faucets the best I get from made in China Pfister or Danco is maybe 3-5 years. They suck. The Grohe that is made in Germany is nice but the current blend cartridges are not like the ones made 15 years ago even if they are both made in Germany. The new ones last 3-4 years before they leak and I'm calling them to take advantage of their "lifetime" replacement. I asked the tech side what torque value is best for these cartridges, his reply was so that it doesn't leak. I used the 1/4 torque wrench so that I could get even values for the O-rings.

Disposable is a common theme.

I'm thankful that of the old school Toyota products this household and pop's had seen conformed to extended durability reliability cycles. I don't know how the '08+ Lexus cars will be when they hit 20+ years old.
Old 06-09-19, 04:22 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by RA40
Many parts these days suck. The various tiers of parts that some of the big box parts shops can be very disappointing. Often led by "lifetime warranty" endorsements to sway buyers for their $. Plenty of other forums (not only cars) will relay of similar stories of early failures and a treadmill of install-remove-install-remove scenarios. Parts are in limited supply or not available so these third party purchases will be a remaining option. That said we know going in that failure and disappointment is a high possibility these days. These parts are from companies that are global manufacturers so there are variables to contend with. Namely the cost cutting for profit made in China scenario. Not built to last anymore, those are far few between. The alternator I put into the Corolla was a Denso remanufactured in Mexico, others have posted that theirs came from China. This one came from Rock Auto BTW. The original died at sub 80K miles. The starter died a few weeks later and the battery to not be left alone joined them in a permanent vacation.

Yesterday I replaced a valve on an old Price Pfister faucet. The original was a made in USA that has been in use probably close to 30+ years. I was unable to source a packing washer and the brass valve was just plain worn from being used in that time. The Danco is made in China and is of much thinner construction the pieces don't interchange either. On other faucets the best I get from made in China Pfister or Danco is maybe 3-5 years. They suck. The Grohe that is made in Germany is nice but the current blend cartridges are not like the ones made 15 years ago even if they are both made in Germany. The new ones last 3-4 years before they leak and I'm calling them to take advantage of their "lifetime" replacement. I asked the tech side what torque value is best for these cartridges, his reply was so that it doesn't leak. I used the 1/4 torque wrench so that I could get even values for the O-rings.

Disposable is a common theme.

I'm thankful that of the old school Toyota products this household and pop's had seen conformed to extended durability reliability cycles. I don't know how the '08+ Lexus cars will be when they hit 20+ years old.
When I got my kit I got a proper timing belt and water pump gasket luckily I was right and the ones that came sucked
Old 06-09-19, 06:35 PM
peterls
Advanced

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Mechanics tell their customers many things...
While I agree in principal, I am thinking, it should be like this:
"Many things tell their customers, mechanics"
-Yodaone
Old 06-13-19, 10:28 AM
peterls
Advanced

Here's an interesting one:
- I just replaced one of my distributor caps and rotors yesterday. I ordered Beck/Arnley from Amazon, hoping for a bit of luck. The parts arrive, and here is the picture of the rotor:

Notice "Made in Japan" on the left side, under that tape? And then there is a B/A part number.
I was celebrating - I got a Japanese made part from BA from Amazon in a day. Great stuff.

Then I pull out the bad one from BOSCH:

Notice anything interesting? This six year old part from Bosch has the EXACT SAME "Made in Japan" on it, including the same part number! (its in the lower right corner)

So first the good news: B/A distributor cap and rotor are made in Japan.
Another bit of good news: BOSCH is also made in Japan and is actually the same brand, just has "bosch" printed on the side (not embossed, like the OEM's "Made In Japan")
Then the not-so-good news: they don't last all that long, (unless you think I am being unrealistic). Six years in my case.

There you have it. Bosch and B/A rotors and distributors are both made at the same place in Japan. They look exactly the same (except for BOSCH having their logo printed on the side), they have identical part numbers on them and they have "Made in Japan" on them.

And you'll get around 60k miles or 6 yrs out of them
Old 06-13-19, 11:41 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Here's an interesting one:
...Then I pull out the bad one from BOSCH:
... they have identical part numbers on them and they have "Made in Japan" on them.

And you'll get around 60k miles or 6 yrs out of them
Have you confirmed there is something wrong with the Bosch one? If so, what was it?
Old 06-13-19, 02:00 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

in all my years of wrenching, I do come across a decision where I go for aftermarket rather than OE for time/cost limitations.
when I do go down the aftermarket route, I do see about 8-10% of the time, the parts are made in japan - more so the specialized parts that are either hard to remanufacture or are too specialized like bearings.

a few years ago I replaced all of my front ball joints on my old Tacoma and decided to go aftermarket (all uppers, lowers, and tierod left to right).
I went with Moog - one set was made in japan, another pair Mexico, and last set was China.
parts are still working fine for my work horse!
Old 06-13-19, 02:58 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
in all my years of wrenching, I do come across a decision where I go for aftermarket rather than OE for time/cost limitations.
when I do go down the aftermarket route, I do see about 8-10% of the time, the parts are made in japan - more so the specialized parts that are either hard to remanufacture or are too specialized like bearings.

a few years ago I replaced all of my front ball joints on my old Tacoma and decided to go aftermarket (all uppers, lowers, and tierod left to right).
I went with Moog - one set was made in japan, another pair Mexico, and last set was China.
parts are still working fine for my work horse!
The site administrator has not responded.

Posts on this forum, and others, indicate repeated quality issues with aftermarket parts...both rebuilt and OEM vendor aftermarket offerings.

It is unclear how substandard quality is assuaged by price.

This post is not seeking to debate pro or con aftermarket in relation to price.

There have been countless victimized consumers of aftermarket parts to ignore this reality any longer.

OP has spent time and money weeding out failed, and poor fitting aftermarket crap installed by previous owner.

What is most interesting reading is newer forum members who inquire as to whethe or not r they should use aftermarket, and are warned against it,.yet proceed anyway...sometimes more than one go around on same component...alternators, P.S. pumps, water pumps, radiator hoses and steering racks are prime examples, ....yet do not heed the advice.

Right now am suggesting and requesting a front and center sticky cautioning on aftermarket auto parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suggest sticky warning aftermarket parts