SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1995 Sc400 I need brutal truth needed on selling

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-19, 08:02 AM
mrdeezy
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1995 Sc400 I need brutal truth needed on selling

Hey guys, I haven't posted on Lexus forums in a long time. Anyways, I picked up a 1995 Lexus SC400 with 73k from a family friend about a month ago. I usually buy Bmw, audi, porsche, over the last decade keep and drive then sell shortly after. But this car is so immaculate, I just bought it on site without much thought... I have put several cars on BAT at no reserve, so I figured I would just do that. I got DECLINED. Put it on ebay and craigslist and have had serious phone conversations with several people. But no sales.

The car is located on the Central Coast of California (Monterey) and its not a real car enthusiast area and getting someone to drive out for a car at this price point is difficult. I know the color is more of an older persons choice. I think it works well with the era and the car. But what am I doing wrong here? Is there really not much market for these cars? Is it because they made them for so long? I looked around and see almost all of these models for sale are pretty tore up. From experience I know that cars that are considered "classic" don't hit their stride until around age 30.

I am kind of stunned to find a car in this condition so hard to sell. Any information on these particular cars and their potential market/buyers that would be of any help to me?

Thanks in advance!

link to photos of 1995 Lexus Sc400
Old 06-02-19, 10:59 AM
Dokuji
Rookie

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I guess it depends how much you're trying to sell it for. As I'm sure you know, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Typically speaking it's more of a "tuner" platform (or project car) platform, than a restoration/collectors item (typically speaking, again)
And because they were built so well, you can find one in decent mechanical shape that's just rough around the edges (like I did) for a BARGAIN.

That's the problem you're running into. Yes, yours is immaculate, but I'm sure you've seen enough of them for sale with higher miles and slightly, moderately, or severely trashed, but for fractions of what you think you ought to get for yours.

many of us plan on upgrading or replacing parts as we go anyways, so the fact that every little thing isn't in top shape isn't the end of the world, and most guys are more inclined to spend less up front for something that's already going to be a bit of a money pit in the first place.

This is one of the greatest platforms ever as far as I'm concerned, but the market doesn't really recognize that anymore.

So, either wait it out and see if the right buyer comes along, or you're probably going to need to sell it for much less than you'd hoped.

Or, keep it, because it's one heck of a GT cruiser car

Last edited by Dokuji; 06-02-19 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-02-19, 12:38 PM
mrdeezy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice. I see this a lot in the Bmw/ Porsche world. The amount of money it would take to get a decent shape one to be like this would be
thousands of dollars plus the time, and it still would probably not be 100% right... It would probably still not be that nice when the dust settles. It doesn't make sense to me financially to not just buy the nicest one possible. I guess I am learning the hard way! Such a beautiful car, I guess I have to start consider keeping it. The way it drives and the long hood sloping windshield will age gracefully. I think a lot went in to these cars from a research and development standpoint. Owning one has really opened my eyes to how sweet they are.

Thanks for the input!
The following users liked this post:
Corralesr (06-07-19)
Old 06-02-19, 01:50 PM
Dokuji
Rookie

You should know all about depreciation from BMWs
JoeBlob (06-05-19)
Old 06-02-19, 04:41 PM
SCJim
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdeezy
I have put several cars on BAT at no reserve, so I figured I would just do that. I got DECLINED.
Did they give you a reason for declining your listing on bring a trailer? I would have expected that a clean SC400 would be something that they would definitely want to list.

I'm also confused about what is going on with SCs in the market these days. Overall Japanese cars are becoming more collectable in the last few years but SC sales seem dead and I am not sure why that is.

Last edited by SCJim; 07-01-19 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-02-19, 06:49 PM
mrdeezy
Driver School Candidate

I think the lack of collectibility is in part because they were made for like 9 years or so. I guess I am a little biased, but anyone I have ever shown the car too is stunned that I can't even get 7500 for a car that nice. Just as a car guy if I see something that well kept and 25 years old, even if its Ford Van..I will start looking at it all adoringly...Much less a car as cool as an Sc400. I think 2025 is probably when they will get a bit more respect. The Japanese classic car market is hot right now. The only people I have spoken to about the car were 50+ year old men. One guy who I talked to had an SC400 with 9,000 miles on it.

When it comes to BAT, they have so many auctions now. I was stunned because more than half their cars don't meet reserve and they make zero dollars on them. I offered it to them at no reserve and still got turned down. If a car even lightly fits their criteria they are guaranteed a sale and their percentage at no reserve
It makes no sense to me. I was the first guy to auction a Civic Si on there and everyone laughed at it even being there and it got about 16K.
SCJim (06-03-19)
Old 06-03-19, 04:34 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Brutal Truth ???

A) Your car is clean both in and out . Congrats .

B) The Lexus SC market is a sh?tty market . Nobody wants to pay anything for them. Regardless how clean or good an SC is , most of the people interested in these cars are broke *** kids so they want it as close as to a $1 price. They want a nice car or part for nothing.

C) If that Auction Company don't even want to accept the car so they can post it for auction , it speaks volume. That means based on their experience , point B above is true -> There is no good market for the Lexus SC that justifies putting their time and effort into it then make some money. You said it, not even without a reserve .

D) There maybe people who don't do research and are not familiar with them and will grab whatever they see for sale but those will be very rare.

E) Will the Lexus SCs ever get respect or their valuation go higher as time pass ? In my opinion , until the attitude of the crowd who loves or want to have these car changes ... NEVER . Just my $.02 .
The following 4 users liked this post by gerrb:
KahnBB6 (06-04-19), SCJim (06-03-19), Slackful (06-03-19), wsaharem (06-08-19)
Old 06-03-19, 05:35 AM
SCJim
Driver

Originally Posted by gerrb
Will the Lexus SCs ever get respect or their valuation go higher as time pass ?
If we could just turn back time and get a slammed SC featured on fast and furious, people would be lined up to buy our cars.
Old 06-03-19, 06:26 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SCJim
If we could just turn back time and get a slammed SC featured on fast and furious, people would be lined up to buy our cars.
That would have probably helped !

This is the problem. People buy them cause they are cheap to start with or they know they would find one really cheap. They start putting parts that make them ricey or parts that all the more make them unreliable cause they cannot pay for more reliable that means more expensive parts. When they cannot maintain them anymore and look more raggedy and falling apart than when they got it ,they sell it which all the more devaluates it.

It is the crowd that supports it that is the problem. Like if you go to facebook , look at those ads posted there in different SC groups . You will find a lot of comments like .. "that is damn expensive, I got my whole 5 speed car for the price you are selling your transmission " .. and so on so forth... Nobody wants to pay for what the parts are really worth. They want it really cheap.

Go to Supraforums , people there would laugh at you or bury you alive if you start talking about installing parts that are non proven to be reliable on the MKIVs or even parts from Ebay . Look at where the values of those cars now. Did the Fast and Furious help , probably so. But mind you, damn car in that movie is not even a turbo car.... it is as fast as the SC300 , lol. Exposure in the movie might have helped.

But the truth is , people started to know what the 2JZ engine can do .. its potential. Then the demand started rising. Owners were not willing to sell their cars cheap. Look at where they at now... prices to the roof.

So , mentality of the crowd that supports a car kinda help dictate their market. If owners are not willing to sell them cheap and buyers are willing to pay for them even at ridiculuous prices , you know they will just go higher and higher until there is a demand.
The following 2 users liked this post by gerrb:
KahnBB6 (06-04-19), SCJim (06-03-19)
Old 06-03-19, 07:28 AM
mrdeezy
Driver School Candidate

I get what you are saying. Other examples of the Porsche 968, Porsche 944, Bmw E30 and E36 M3, Evo, Wrx type R, Gsr etc..

The owners/enthusiast for those vehicles basically cannibalized them all. They dropped to such a low price and were cool cars.
Therefore they got awful mods and people could not maintain them properly. Try finding a CLEAN one. A lot of some of those cars were made and its still difficult to find one.

The market later corrects itself around the 20 year mark and the value goes up. People who grew up with the cars want clean ones because now they have the money and they can't find them. Supply and demand.

Thanks for the introspect, guys!
Old 06-03-19, 12:28 PM
Dokuji
Rookie

BTW when Gerrb talks about cheap ricer kids he really means me
Old 06-03-19, 03:01 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Dokuji
BTW when Gerrb talks about cheap ricer kids he really means me
lmaol, I don't mean you nor am I pointing to anyone in particular .

I am referring to the SC crowd in general and I don't mean to offend anyone. The truth hurts but it is what it is. I maybe wrong in my assessment but that is at least my personal opinion and what I observed and continually see today in over 15 years I have been following these SCs and their market.
Old 06-03-19, 04:12 PM
Dokuji
Rookie

Originally Posted by gerrb
lmaol, I don't mean you nor am I pointing to anyone in particular .
Hey, i've been through a lot of hardships in life. It'd take more than some internet jocking to get under my skin lol. But i was kidding. maybe. though I just realized the tires i got are probably way too small. wont know til it's all mounted up but i sense "cholo" insults coming my way on the forums here
SCJim (06-03-19)
Old 06-03-19, 04:50 PM
SCJim
Driver

Originally Posted by Dokuji
I just realized the tires i got are probably way too small. wont know til it's all mounted up but i sense "cholo" insults coming my way on the forums here
My new wheels and tires are perfect but now my car really, really needs lowered to not look like an SUV, so there are other ways to screw up.

Figuring out what to do to fix that now which means a lot of forum reading about coilovers and trying to find a local shop that might do some of the work. Unfortunately Columbus, Ohio is not a great spot for car culture and my choices are limited.
Dokuji (06-03-19)
Old 06-03-19, 05:02 PM
Dokuji
Rookie

^^ hahah! true that. I'm actually happy with how they fit the wheels, a perfect moderate stretch. But I decided to go with the 17s I had and try to pull off something nice. partly because I cant afford wheels right now but also partly because I want to be as low as possible without having to deal with rebound and rubbing issues. That and it'll be somewhat unique. I'm just hoping it looks good when all put together!

Coils are relatively easy to do yourself. Although I ran into quite a few snags along the way (stripped bolt heads that i had to take the angle grinder to, shock mounts that needed slightly drilled out, brakes, etc. but that's because I'm in the Midwest so "One does not simply "unbolt" 25 years of rust and road grime" lol! (notices you're from Ohio.... Saddle up!!! but it's fun and rewarding to install yourself. saves you tons of money as well.)
The following 2 users liked this post by Dokuji:
mrdeezy (06-03-19), SCJim (06-03-19)

Quick Reply: 1995 Sc400 I need brutal truth needed on selling