IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Transmission leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-19, 04:31 PM
cliffjenke
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission leak

I own a 2007 IS250 with 107k miles. I recently changed the engine oil like I’ve done many times in the past. I added 6.5 quarts of 5W30 synthetic oil. I ran the car for a couple of minutes. I checked the oil level and it show overfilled. I let the engine cool and re-checked it. Stills showed overfilled. I drove the car around for a couple of minutes and it started to shift hard and eventually would not shift. I drained 3 quarts from the oil pan, re-checked the oil level and it showed overfilled. I checked the transmission level and it was very low. I added fluid and it shifted ok. I shut it down after the car started smoking due to ost likely engine overfill. It’s obvious that the transmission fuild is leaking into the crankcase and I have no idea how. Please advise if any of you have any ideas. Thanks.
Old 05-24-19, 08:35 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Not sure what to say other than not possible on this car. Those fluids do not mix in an easy fashion.
If however the external transmission heat exchanger failed and dumped engine coolant into the transmission, that is possible but for the engine oil to be over full now you need another failure mode.

Not sure what you are dealing with but do want to know how you checked the trans fluid level on a 2IS IS250 as it has no dipstick.
Please advise...
Old 05-25-19, 10:50 AM
cliffjenke
Driver School Candidate

Hello. I did check the transmission fluid and it was quarts low. I took the car to a trusty mechanic and he’s at a loss too.
He is still trying to diagnose the problem. I know all about the transmission lines going into the radiator. No external leakage anywhere. It’s bizzare. I been working on cars for a good 45 years and I’ve never seen this.
Old 05-25-19, 02:03 PM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Wouldn’t that be trans oil in the coolant ?
Where would motor oil and trans oil have a chance to mix ?
Old 05-25-19, 02:09 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

These cars have no external lines to the radiator.
They do have a coolant to oil heat exchanger mounted right at the trans. Never evaaaa heard of one going bad.
Have the head gaskets ever been replaced? Does the coolant look nasty?
If yes, maybe the coolant system was neglected and something crazy happened.

But there is no explanation for engine oil level change unless the two things failed at once.
Old 05-25-19, 05:05 PM
cliffjenke
Driver School Candidate

Coolant is clean and no engine work has been done. I just got off the phone with my mechanic and he told me that he drained 10.5 quarts of
oil from the engine, added 4 quarts of transmission fluid to the transmission, added 6.5 quarts to the engine and ran it several times and the levels
are normal and the car is shifting fine. He says it was transmission fluid in the crankcase but doesn’t know how it got there. He is going to consult with another technician and keep the IS250 for a few more days to see if it goes FUBAR.
Old 05-26-19, 10:26 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

So neither had coolant in them?

And how exactly did you verify the transmission fluid level?
Old 05-26-19, 10:55 AM
Petet
Lead Lap

And how exactly did you verify the transmission fluid level?[/QUOTE]

I did a flush and fill a few weeks ago, I’ve been turning wrenches for 30 plus years and my Lexus was a first for me the way to check trans oil. Not a simple pull the dip stick task. You can’t even put fluid in the trans easily.
Old 05-26-19, 11:18 AM
cliffjenke
Driver School Candidate

No oil in the coolant and any external oil leaks. My mechanic raised the car and checked the level of the trans by removing the plate and the color of the oil once the crankcase was drained.
Old 05-26-19, 11:22 AM
davyboygs
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The only scenario that make any sense is that you drained the ATF fluid by mistake, then added the 6.5 Qts of oil to an already full crankcase. I remember reading a recent post from a member where his father changed the oil in the members vehicle and had made the same mistake. I hope that you did not do any severe damage to your vehicle.
Old 05-26-19, 11:49 AM
cliffjenke
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much. It just dawned on me. You are right. I must have drained the transmission fluid by accident because the transmission
plug. Is near the crankcase plug. That makes sense. I wasn’t paying attention. This happened right after I “”CHANGED” the engine oil. It doesn’t look like
there’s any damage. The car is running fine. Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
2013FSport (05-26-19)
Old 05-26-19, 01:40 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by daveruble
The only scenario that make any sense is that you drained the ATF fluid by mistake, then added the 6.5 Qts of oil to an already full crankcase. I remember reading a recent post from a member where his father changed the oil in the members vehicle and had made the same mistake. I hope that you did not do any severe damage to your vehicle.
Originally Posted by cliffjenke
Thank you very much. It just dawned on me. You are right. I must have drained the transmission fluid by accident because the transmission
plug. Is near the crankcase plug. That makes sense. I wasn’t paying attention. This happened right after I “”CHANGED” the engine oil. It doesn’t look like
there’s any damage. The car is running fine. Thanks again.

I didn't want to say it but this is the only thing that makes sense.
Honestly, very good of you for sharing what really happened as many times there is no conclusion connecting the dots as pride inhibited others from learning.

Mistakes happen but I am thankful for you that it is all sorted out. And that tans likely needed a flush anyways!
Old 05-26-19, 02:15 PM
Petet
Lead Lap

I wanted to say that also but didn’t want to insult you.
Glad to hear all is good.
Old 05-26-19, 07:02 PM
cliffjenke
Driver School Candidate

I’m very happy with your advice and I’m glad you brought that up. This is what happens when your in a hurry and not paying
attention. This was the first and last time this will happen to me. All of the cars I’ved owned in the past did not have a transmission drain plug.
You had to loosen the bolts and let it drain. Thank you all again.