GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Car wont start - Engine oil pressure low, Check VGRS, Check DRS

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 09:30 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Car wont start - Engine oil pressure low, Check VGRS, Check DRS

Hi everyone, I have an 2013 F-Sport GS350 where the car won't start showing Engine Oil Pressure Low, Check VGRS System, Check DRS System.

Also when in the On Ignition position I hear the Engine Fans are operating but engine temps are cool.

Check engine light just popped up and took car to get code read. But then all of a sudden the battery died and even with fresh battery car will attempt to turn over but not start.

OBD II readers will not connect to the car and I tried two different ones. I have a generic Mini-VCI reader but I need to find it and see if I can redownload the "iffy" TIS software.

Any ideas on what it could be? Have many many model of Lexus but this is a first time something has happened where I cannot read the OBDII codes and find a suggestion to a fix.
The following users liked this post:
Alroaad (01-28-22)
Old 05-22-19, 09:39 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 310 Likes on 211 Posts

Check your battery under load.
Old 05-22-19, 09:49 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

I have tried with different brand new fresh battery as well and same behavior.
Old 05-22-19, 09:55 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Maybe a failed sensor or damage to a loom. It must be reading out of range because an ECU can't say the engine oil pressure is low before the car starts - it is not under pressure.

Maybe an ECU harness connector fell out, look I'd be guessing wildly until you're able to get it scanned.
Old 05-22-19, 10:19 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

I also found the Low Engine Oil Pressure thing odd as well considering the engine is not running yet. This is also the first time I could not get a car to be scanned by either of my OBDII readers.
Old 06-18-19, 08:19 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Anyone with any other ideas? I replaced the Fuel Pressure Sensor with one on eBay and still the same result.
Old 06-18-19, 09:08 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Your car has not started in almost a month and it's just sitting somewhere out-of-commission? It sounds like you might be better off having the car towed to a Lexus dealership for diagnosis and repair instead of randomly replacing stuff based on idiot lights or an OBD code reader (that are not always reliable).
Old 06-18-19, 09:18 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Hahah yeah luckily I have many other cars and this was the daily. I am a pretty big DIY guy but its almost coming down to that. The ODB code reader doesn't really throw any codes except for a P0455 and P0441 which I believe was the gas cap. I am able to read codes really quickly for about 15 seconds from when car is in ignition ON position and then it seems like something shorts out the ECU after that because I can measure a short in the 5V reference voltage after 15 seconds and then the Radiator Air Fan turns on to max.
Old 06-18-19, 10:14 AM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Any mods on the car at all?
Old 06-18-19, 11:27 AM
Handi
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard that these car very rarely start the first time after a battery replacement.
It takes the computer some time to check all the sensors the first time cranking.
So turn it on and let it set for a minute and then crank for 30 seconds and it might start, If not wait 10-15 seconds and crank again,
If everything is ok it should start the second time.
Good Luck
Old 06-18-19, 03:10 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

No mods and yeah it just seems like no fuel is getting into the engine. I have tried waiting etc and letting it crank for a while too but it just wont start and have all these weird problems display on the dash like engine oil pressure low etc.

I am also only able to work on the car only on Sundays which means I have only had a few days to work on this car but seemed to have failed at finding the true cause. It just bothers me so much that I cannot solve this and feel like it may be something relatively simple.
Malisa817 (12-17-19)
Old 06-18-19, 03:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

If your battery had died 'before' you had the problem starting the engine then I would have suggested that maybe the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor needs to be cleaned. (As you probably already know whenever you drop the voltage on the ECU a dirty MAF sensor oftentimes requires cleaning before the engine will startup.) But, it sounds like you were already had the problem of the engine not starting before your battery died.

All the 'CHECK' items you see are somewhat common yet don't mean anything toward what the real problem is...
Old 12-17-19, 11:59 AM
Malisa817
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello, I am actually having the same issue with my vehicle. Were you able to find out the root cause? Anything will be helpful at this point.

Thank you!
Old 12-17-19, 10:48 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Originally Posted by Malisa817
Hello, I am actually having the same issue with my vehicle. Were you able to find out the root cause? Anything will be helpful at this point.

Thank you!
You might want to send the OP a direct message, which will reach him via email if you get no response here. According to his signature he drives an S class and a Lambo, so fixing his GS sounds like a pet project when polo is rained out.
If it's your daily, take BC's advice and get it towed to Lexus
robd88 (12-18-19)
Old 12-18-19, 05:06 AM
robd88
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
You might want to send the OP a direct message, which will reach him via email if you get no response here. According to his signature he drives an S class and a Lambo, so fixing his GS sounds like a pet project when polo is rained out.
If it's your daily, take BC's advice and get it towed to Lexus
"when polo is rained out."

OMG! I'm still laughing! You made my day.

Quick Reply: Car wont start - Engine oil pressure low, Check VGRS, Check DRS