RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

First time at Track with the RCF

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 07:29 PM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts
Default First time at Track with the RCF

So I had a fully built NA ISF race everything including welded in roll bar wet weight 3600. Took my bone stock RCF to same track for first time today. It’s not a fair comparison for variety of reasons new car to me mods etc but thought I’d share.

The following 12 users liked this post by Gearbangin:
05RollaXRS (05-22-19), Apone (05-24-19), bob67 (05-23-19), CAHWY128 (05-23-19), DaveGS4 (05-28-19), GunnyFitz (05-23-19), konichiwa3 (05-23-19), RCF4DAD (05-23-19), siredward (05-23-19), SoSlow (05-23-19), UFOHunter (01-18-24), winglet (05-24-19) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-22-19, 09:00 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Cool video. Great to see how even stock RCF handles corners. Did you run with TVD in track mode? What were your subjective initial impressions? I noticed, you seemed to be in higher gear and did not downshift as engine seemed to be lugging a bit at turn 13 and turn 18?
Old 05-22-19, 09:26 PM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Yes track setting TVD sport plus. First impression was could really feel the extra 400 lbs. lol. It’s hard to compare a track car to a street car but will see how it does with more seat time etc. I have a two day event same track this weekend.
Old 05-22-19, 09:38 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gearbangin
Yes track setting TVD sport plus. First impression was could really feel the extra 400 lbs. lol. It’s hard to compare a track car to a street car but will see how it does with more seat time etc. I have a two day event same track this weekend.
Share those videos as well. I think you might want to downshift more aggressively especially coming out of turns going uphill as getting caught in a higher gear will make the engine lug more and get to redline slower.
Old 05-23-19, 10:07 AM
Sit
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Fantastic!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-23-19, 10:13 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Love that Child Seat too!
Old 05-23-19, 05:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Share those videos as well. I think you might want to downshift more aggressively especially coming out of turns going uphill as getting caught in a higher gear will make the engine lug more and get to redline slower.
There are lots of reasons why this would not be a good approach. It's a whole lot easier to get sideways, especially in a new to you car, when you're on the boil especially in slow turns. I learned a long time ago to use the powerband of the engine and save focus for traction, course, and heading instead of managing the throttle on exit. I learned it observing Bruce Sass at Second Creek Raceway in Denver as he exited a second gear turn leading on the front straight,and when I tried it for myself I made huge strides in improved lap times. Speed costs mental focus. The more things you can reduce to no effort (mash the throttle to the floor and hold, vs. feather) the better you can focus on the three most important things on track - traction, course, and heading.
The following 3 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
05RollaXRS (05-23-19), Apone (05-24-19), winglet (05-24-19)
Old 05-24-19, 01:41 PM
ProfSCCA
Driver

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts

I traded a well-sorted track car--Corvette Z06--for loaded '16 RCF track beater in April. Have only driven it to SCCA Track Events so I, too, am still learning.
You have a good line in your Track Night video. (you're not "drag racing" from corner to corner as many are prone to do)
Based on my Track Nights here in Texas (Fort Worth and Austin), I am going to agree with the previous post that recommends thinking about a more aggressive downshift. TVD Sport+ / Track mode taps a downshift into the sweepers and keeps everything tidy in the 4000-7000 RPM range. I would coach you to roll more torque through corner centers--in the video, listen to how hard your engine is working just after the apex.
Are you doing any left-foot braking?
My RCF gets best laps by rolling onto the berms as you are doing.
Aren't the brakes just amazing?!!
I have 4 hours of track time since I purchased the car in mid-April. The Michelins are roasting away, and I will replace with Bridgestone RE-71 (+ one size, 265,285) Hitting the F1 track "COTA" in Austin for 3 days in June as pace car. Wringing it out for sure.
PLEASE post more videos. Fun to sit in the office and feel the rumble strips through cranked-up audio.
Paul
Dallas TX
The following 2 users liked this post by ProfSCCA:
05RollaXRS (05-24-19), Gearbangin (05-24-19)
Old 05-24-19, 02:55 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearbangin
How did you like the TVD on track?
Old 05-24-19, 03:05 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Well said. TVD works best when you are gradually feeding in the throttle at high revs and it gently rotates the back gradually through the turn. This video shows how TVD on-throttle is gently making the car oversteer (as he gently counter-steers) through the turn.

Originally Posted by ProfSCCA
I traded a well-sorted track car--Corvette Z06--for loaded '16 RCF track beater in April. Have only driven it to SCCA Track Events so I, too, am still learning.
You have a good line in your Track Night video. (you're not "drag racing" from corner to corner as many are prone to do)
Based on my Track Nights here in Texas (Fort Worth and Austin), I am going to agree with the previous post that recommends thinking about a more aggressive downshift. TVD Sport+ / Track mode taps a downshift into the sweepers and keeps everything tidy in the 4000-7000 RPM range. I would coach you to roll more torque through corner centers--in the video, listen to how hard your engine is working just after the apex.
Are you doing any left-foot braking?
My RCF gets best laps by rolling onto the berms as you are doing.
Aren't the brakes just amazing?!!
I have 4 hours of track time since I purchased the car in mid-April. The Michelins are roasting away, and I will replace with Bridgestone RE-71 (+ one size, 265,285) Hitting the F1 track "COTA" in Austin for 3 days in June as pace car. Wringing it out for sure.
PLEASE post more videos. Fun to sit in the office and feel the rumble strips through cranked-up audio.
Paul
Dallas TX
The following users liked this post:
siredward (05-27-19)
Old 05-25-19, 09:38 PM
ProfSCCA
Driver

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts

Very nice video. Car is totally compliant to driver's wishes. And he's looking waaaay ahead of the car (= speed WITHOUT the loss of mental focus)
I think the tires are either going away around 1:40 (the big slide) or he has really dialed up the speed a notch or two.

Has anyone tried SLALOM mode on the TVD? I like it for a different feel than the "planted-on-rails" Track mode. Still new to the car, so anyone can explain it that wants to.
Paul
Old 05-25-19, 11:39 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, slalom mode is my mode of choice in city driving where maneuverability is everything on narrow roads. It really increases on-center steering response. A flick of the steering by an inch generates an instantaneous response. Essentially, it gives a very short wheelbase feel in slalom mode. I find it far more enjoyable than track mode in city driving. I could understand on wide and long turns, track mode is the one to use to get the rear to rotate so that the nose can be pointed inwards, but in every day driving slalom mode is the one to use.

Very nice video. Car is totally compliant to driver's wishes. And he's looking waaaay ahead of the car (= speed WITHOUT the loss of mental focus)
I think the tires are either going away around 1:40 (the big slide) or he has really dialed up the speed a notch or two.

Has anyone tried SLALOM mode on the TVD? I like it for a different feel than the "planted-on-rails" Track mode. Still new to the car, so anyone can explain it that wants to.
Paul
Old 05-26-19, 03:45 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Well new record for me went through a tire in first 40 minute session. I aired down to low 32 psi and side was folding over on its self left front does all the work at this track. I guess the extra 400lbs wasn’t accounted for and these aren’t R888R’s. Now that said it was over 86 degrees and the all temps stayed nice and cool. They were even better then my old ISF which had an aftermarket oil cooler and swapped out coolant with distilled water. Car is very reliable and robust tires not so much.

Last edited by Gearbangin; 05-26-19 at 04:24 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gearbangin:
05RollaXRS (05-26-19), lobuxracer (05-26-19), Teutonic (05-28-19)
Old 05-26-19, 05:59 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

32 for super sports is too low on track, as you found out. Our car pushes way more due to the weight plus the staggered wheels.
Imo if you’re running street tires, even with XL side walls, will need 36+ hot to keep from rolling on the sides.
I personally shoot for around 37 hot now days to minimize tire wear even though the grip is a tad less and will get greasy easier. Just try to manage the tire psi more. On a hot 86 day, I find tires can go up 10 degrees from cold.
Try to not take a cool down lap and head straight back to pit to get an accurate psi reading.

3 things that helped me was increasing negative camber, running square set up, and changing lower arm bushings.
Shameless plug...I have a set of T-demands upper arms for sale. Pm if interested.
Current track rims are 19x10 square with 35 offset. Running square will take away a huge amount of understeer.
Lastly, some of that tire wear is likely due to dynamic toe changes under heavy braking. A set of Figs solid bushings will fix that.

Last edited by Mingofish; 05-26-19 at 06:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
UFOHunter (01-18-24)
Old 05-26-19, 06:40 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

I will replace with Bridgestone RE-71 (+ one size, 265,285)
Paul
Dallas TX
Paul,
I’m curious to hear your feed back on the RE71.
I have never run them before but heard they’re a good autocross tire and not a good track tire for us.
Supposedly that tire gets greasy fast.

So far on my F, I’ve run the following:
super sports oem
Yokohama AD08R
Cup 2 (not run flat)
Toyo R888R

I will say the Yokohama were a great tire to learn the car with.
They have decent grip and break away warning.
Very long life, at least for me. I ran them for an entire season plus. That’s like 10 track days or so.
I have a new set that I use as rain tires. Way better wet than r888r.

I actually didn’t like the cups. Had issues where the tread blocks came off in chunks. Think I was driving them a tad too hard to be fair. Killed them at Road Atlanta on a very hot day. They only lasted me 3 track days.
Wish they came in run flats in my fitment (275) since those would have way stiffer side walls. Having said that, I’m trying them again to see how the wear is since my car is set up a bit different than last year. Going to run them higher psi too.

The R888r were a decently long life tire for me even though Utqg 100. That’s what’s currently on car. They have lasted like 7-8 days and I’ll prob see cords next time. Mind you I run 2.75 camber front & 2.5 rears. Cars with oem camber specs won’t get that kind of longevity.

Hope this helps you make next tire choices.

Last edited by Mingofish; 05-26-19 at 06:44 AM.

Quick Reply: First time at Track with the RCF