Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is buying fake AIMGAIN, LEXON, and SKIPPER lips on eBay illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 11:03 AM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts
Exclamation Is buying fake AIMGAIN, LEXON, and SKIPPER lips on eBay illegal?

"Legal Implications - It is illegal to purchase counterfeit goods. Bringing them into the United States may result in civil or criminal penalties. Purchasing counterfeit goods supports criminal activities such as money laundering and trafficking in illegal guns and drugs. Remember, if it seems like a steal, it is."

https://www.cbp.gov/FakeGoodsRealDangers

#ReplicasSupportTerrorism

Last edited by TOPENDMS; 05-22-19 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-23-19, 02:46 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree, counterfeit is stealing. But at the same time, not everyone can afford to buy an authentic part, clothes. I mean, $500+ for Lexus window visors?
Old 05-23-19, 11:48 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,171 Likes on 864 Posts

If an OEM manufacturer spoiler costs $300 but someone sells a similar "OEM quality" spoiler for $150 on eBay, Amazon, Alibaba, etc., it wouldn't be counterfeit because as long as they aren't misrepresenting it and you are fully aware that you are buying a "factory equivalent" item. They aren't claiming that it is an OEM spoiler, but it is factory style.

Buying an item that has no intention of "fooling" the buyer isn't fraudulent.
Old 05-23-19, 03:16 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Manufacturers know this is a problem. For example, the Rays company has a webpage devoted to spotting counterfeits: https://www.rayswheels.co.jp/attenti...ex.php?lang=en
Old 05-23-19, 03:21 PM
Blaque Diamond Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Old 05-23-19, 05:54 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Come to NYC - the amount of $$$ generated by knockoff bags, watches, wallets etc is insane.
Police stand and do nothing about it.

These ppl sell right on the street in plain sight - Broadway / Canal St / 5th Ave - close to real Gucci, LV, Chanel stores etc.
Tourists love to buy from them......
Old 05-23-19, 06:25 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,171 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Come to NYC - the amount of $$$ generated by knockoff bags, watches, wallets etc is insane.
Police stand and do nothing about it.

These ppl sell right on the street in plain sight - Broadway / Canal St / 5th Ave - close to real Gucci, LV, Chanel stores etc.
Tourists love to buy from them......
@RNM GS3 110% agree - and while that's happening they pull me over for tint and give me a ticket lol
Old 05-23-19, 08:10 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AJLex19
If an OEM manufacturer spoiler costs $300 but someone sells a similar "OEM quality" spoiler for $150 on eBay, Amazon, Alibaba, etc., it wouldn't be counterfeit because as long as they aren't misrepresenting it and you are fully aware that you are buying a "factory equivalent" item. They aren't claiming that it is an OEM spoiler, but it is factory style.

Buying an item that has no intention of "fooling" the buyer isn't fraudulent.
This is stealing. (the product, the intellectual property, and the photos) .. and this is standard practice with replicas. This type of stuff can put even a big company under.

These are not good people. If they had any bit of ethics, they would just design their own style. Instead they rob, cheat, and steal.

This is not the same as getting inspiration from another brands style either.

"Carbon Fiber Fit For Lexus IS F Sport Sedan AIMGAIN Style Front Lip 2013-2015" FAKE
Item location: CN, China

Genuine AIMGAIN Website Photo:

"FRP AIMGAIN GT STYLE WIDE AERO BODY KITS FOR 08-16 R35 GTR FREE SHIPPING" FAKE
Item location: CN, China

Genuine AIMGAIN Website Photo:

Last edited by TOPENDMS; 05-23-19 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-23-19, 08:24 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I agree, counterfeit is stealing. But at the same time, not everyone can afford to buy an authentic part, clothes. I mean, $500+ for Lexus window visors?
I get it .. but you don't need window visors either. Maybe a good set of springs, wheel spacers, and a nice lip will suffice.

The other option is to buy pre-owned. The resale price on used parts is terrible .. which is great news for a 2nd-hand buyer.

News Article: What Is Intellectual Property, and Does China Steal It
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...l-it-quicktake

Last edited by TOPENDMS; 05-23-19 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-23-19, 09:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

interesting topic. maybe around a decade ago similar topic was brought up and i said something stern (but true), and i was shot down pretty badly.

<-- just see my avatar
Old 05-24-19, 07:43 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Counterfeit products are usually of a much less quality, so I don't buy them. When I was young and broke, I bought a bag for my wife (she was my girlfriend at that time) for about $200 on ebay. I don't remember the brand name, but a bag like this retailed for over $2k at the brands store. She said right away it was fake, and I was arguing with her that it was real, and we actually went to the store on Fifth Avenue to compare. Needless to say I was embarrassed.
Old 05-24-19, 08:19 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Counterfeit products are usually of a much less quality, so I don't buy them. When I was young and broke, I bought a bag for my wife (she was my girlfriend at that time) for about $200 on ebay. I don't remember the brand name, but a bag like this retailed for over $2k at the brands store. She said right away it was fake, and I was arguing with her that it was real, and we actually went to the store on Fifth Avenue to compare. Needless to say I was embarrassed.
If you were young and broke you should not have been buying a $2000 bag(one of the most overpriced/rip off products are women's designer purses) and did the right thing by buying something similar that was not such a giant waste of money. Your wife, if you were young and broke, frankly should not have been expecting or demanding a overpriced 2K purse either. A lot of women from different wealth backgrounds would not want or accept a $2000 designer purse as they know it is such a giant waste of money and a rip off.

As long as aftermarket car products are so expensive then there will be a market for much less expensive knockoffs. I don't think I even saw a real SKIPPER lip during my search, it is probably really expensive and there is no way I was going to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars just for a front lip or small rear spoiler. The first thing that normally gets damaged is the front bumper/lip, with a lip costing several hundred to over a thousand dollars I would be furious and really nervous every time I pull up to park, with a $57 EBAY skipper I won't care too much if it gets damaged, perfect fitment to me does not matter that much or having to do a little dremmel work doesn't bother me. The only way I could get mud flaps for my GS was to pay over $300 for OEM/Japanese mudflaps or $30 for a pair of EBAY ones. I did not even think twice for a second, I got the $30 and sprayed them, yes I had to drill a extra hole but they fit almost perfect and look very good, I doubt anyone could tell the difference between the two not that anyone really cares about mudflaps anyway.
Old 05-24-19, 08:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Buying a cheap off brand to save money is not the same as knowingly buying a product that's branded as "Lexus" that is not authentic. You can't avoid committing a crime because you wanted to save money.

But unless you are a knowing participant, the likelihood any purchase will be prosecuted will be low.
Old 05-24-19, 08:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
This is stealing. (the product, the intellectual property, and the photos) .. and this is standard practice with replicas. This type of stuff can put even a big company under.

These are not good people. If they had any bit of ethics, they would just design their own style. Instead they rob, cheat, and steal.

This is not the same as getting inspiration from another brands style either.
Buying some cheap knock off that isn't represented as an OEM brand is not stealing. If the listing says OEM "quality", that is not the same as saying it's OEM. If they are selling products stamped "Lexus", that is illegal. Even if they are selling products stamped "Luxus", it could be illegal trademark infringement.

But if they are selling "Bob's Brand, compatible with Lexus, and just as good as OEM", there's nothing illegal about that.
Old 05-24-19, 01:49 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
If you were young and broke you should not have been buying a $2000 bag(one of the most overpriced/rip off products are women's designer purses) and did the right thing by buying something similar that was not such a giant waste of money. Your wife, if you were young and broke, frankly should not have been expecting or demanding a overpriced 2K purse either. A lot of women from different wealth backgrounds would not want or accept a $2000 designer purse as they know it is such a giant waste of money and a rip off.
Well I bought because I honestly believed it was a real $2000 bag for $200. When I confronted the seller, he actually offered me a full refund if I return the bag, or I think $50 or $75 return if I keep it. I kept it, and my wife actually still has it.

Quick Reply: Is buying fake AIMGAIN, LEXON, and SKIPPER lips on eBay illegal?