Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend Comparo - 330i vs G70 vs Model 3

Old 05-22-19, 07:13 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Default Motor Trend Comparo - 330i vs G70 vs Model 3

Tesla Model 3 vs. BMW 330i vs. Genesis G70 Comparison: Who Builds the Best Compact Luxury Sedan?

Sport sedan lovers, your time is now. Although crossover SUVs have invaded the market like a herd of stampeding cattle, there are still plenty of options for those who prefer a lower center of gravity in a traditional three-box shape. As you're reading this, no fewer than 12 automakers offer a spirited, premium, well-equipped four-door in the $50,000 range—from Acura to Volvo. The luxury sport sedan segment might be down, but it is definitely not out.

In our latest comparison test, we focus on the standouts in the class—three shining stars that each bring something class-leading and unique to the table. There's the sport-sedan legend, an award-winning newcomer, and, finally, a disruptive upstart. Which one has what it takes to wear the crown?
The 2019 BMW 330i brings seven generations of legacy and, with it, some ridiculously high expectations. Perhaps sensing the formidable task at hand, BMW supplied us with an example that carried nearly $7,500 worth of performance-enhancing goodies alone. A further healthy sampling of options raised its as-tested price to an eye-popping $59,920. That's considerably north of our price target, especially when a bare-bones base model is $41,245, but that's BMW for you.

The 2019 Genesis G70 pulled off a remarkable upset when it won the MotorTrend Car of the Year award, fending off luxury stalwarts Audi and Volvo for the win. One of the G70's biggest strengths is its exceptional value play. It starts at $35,895, which is the lowest base price here. Our Dynamic trim example adds 19-inch Michelin PS4 tires and a limited-slip differential. Even loaded up further with the aptly named Elite and Prestige packages, at $44,895, the as-tested price is only $3,650 more than the 3 Series' base price.

With the Model 3, Tesla is hell-bent on proving that the electric car is ready to go mainstream. Of course, Tesla has been making a lot of promises lately, and the Model 3 hasn't exactly had the smoothest launch. But it's improved significantly in the short time it's been on the market, thanks mostly to myriad firmware and software updates. With a sticker price of $56,700, our Long Range Dual Motor version boasts a battery range of 310 miles—even with all-wheel drive.

So, who brings the best combination of performance, luxury, and value among these three?

3rd Place: BMW 330i

Disappointing, yes, but the 330i still gets a lot right, sometimes brilliantly. Despite having nearly the same weight-to- power ratio as the G70, the 330i is both quicker and more fuel-efficient. The 0-60 run takes a fleet 5.4 seconds, and the quarter mile goes by in 14 seconds flat at 98.1 mph. The 330i is rated 26/36/30 city/highway/combined—a not-insignificant 5 mpg better than the G70. Brakes are also the best of the bunch. Firm, confidence-inspiring, with a strong initial bite and progressive pedal feel. Its 60-0 test was equally impressive, with the 330i needing only a scant 103 feet to come to a stop. Credit the beefy brakes, which are part of the $2,450 Track Handling package.

But that same package also contributed to the 330i's third-place finish, thanks to an adaptive suspension that's obnoxiously brittle—even in its softest setting. Testing director Kim Reynolds probably put it best when he said "it finds annoying bumps without the commensurate handling composure payoff." Walton couldn't wait to get out of the car. "Sure, it was very confidence-inspiring in the canyon, but unless you live in a canyon, pass."

Afterwards, we deliberated whether the 330i would have placed higher without the Track Handling package (we even asked BMW for a more traditional version, but this is what they had available). Although the ride would have improved, there's still that fundamental issue of an identity crisis. The unmistakable touches of brilliance are undermined by overthinking. Instead of sticking to what it does best, the latest 3 Series attempts to be all things to all people and loses itself in the process. As Cortina so aptly put it, "The Ultimate Driving Machine needs to do more work."

2nd Place: Genesis G70

The G70 might be brand-new to the scene, but it already feels like an old friend. Get behind the wheel and everything falls instantly to hand. You're greeted by a cockpit that's not only refreshingly straightforward, but also feels special in all the right places. Walton appreciated the attention to detail: "I love the quilted leather and the chromey, knurled ***** you'd expect to find in a Range Rover or Bentley." The combination of black and burgundy throughout the interior was a knockout.

Out on the test track, the G70 nearly matches the BMW on the figure eight and lateral acceleration—a testament to its extensive chassis development and tuning. It's only when you give it the boot that the G70 trails behind the rest of the pack. A fair amount of turbo lag from the 2.0-liter hampers off-the-line acceleration, and keeping it on boost requires judicious timing with the paddle shifters. Diving hot into a corner revealed more sloths in the powertrain. Despite multiple stabs to the shift paddle, the G70 sometimes refused our downshift requests during rapid deceleration in figure-eight testing. Stops from 60 mph required 106 feet, roughly splitting the difference between the BMW and Tesla.

We'd be remiss if we didn't at least mention that the G70 is the only one left in its segment to offer a six-speed manual. And therein lies the irony with this stellar, award-winning sport sedan. It makes all the right moves and ticks all the right boxes. Through no fault of its own, the G70 represents the pinnacle of a segment … just as that segment is poised to charge in a completely new and uncharted direction.

1st Place: Tesla Model 3

To no one's surprise, the Model 3 absolutely crushed it in straight-line acceleration: 0-60 whooshed by in only 4.0 seconds, and the quarter mile fell in 12.5 seconds at a speed of 113.1 mph. Proving it wasn't a one-trick electric pony, the Model 3 also bested the BMW on our figure-eight loop, despite wearing all-season tires.

That electric drivetrain also provides the framework for the rest of this paradigm shift. The near-silent, rocket-like acceleration is only the first step. On our test runs out in the real world, one-pedal driving quickly became a matter of course. Lift off the accelerator, and regen instantly begins to slow the car. Time it right, and you can navigate through even heavy traffic with only an occasional feathering of the brake pedal. Walton was smitten. "Driving feels new and novel again. The way it re-introduces driving enthusiasm to a driving enthusiast is remarkable."

The Tesla Model 3 wins this competition because it has thoroughly rewritten the rules of what a compact sport sedan can be. As it turns out, the number 3 is still the benchmark number for this segment. It just now happens to be a different type of 3.
Full article here.
Old 05-22-19, 07:41 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

PRICE AS TESTED
Model 3 $56,700 (before tax credit)
BMW 330i $59,920
Genesis G70 $44,895
I would liked to have seen a more equally equipped or priced G70 tested.
Old 05-22-19, 07:49 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Model 3 is a joke with its worse than the cheapest econobox interior, nobody in their right minds seriously considers it besides a growing army of betamale soyboys.

The new 3 series is a tech marvel, and will easily dominate G70 in sales even at the higher price point.
Old 05-22-19, 07:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
I agree. They could have tested a G70 with the turbo V6 and it still would have been less than either the BMW or the Tesla. I think that's what most shoppers would do for a comparison.

Originally Posted by Och
Model 3 is a joke with its worse than the cheapest econobox interior, nobody in their right minds seriously considers it besides a growing army of betamale soyboys.

The new 3 series is a tech marvel, and will easily dominate G70 in sales even at the higher price point.
The 3 Series will definitely lead in sales, no doubt.
Old 05-22-19, 08:02 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As you and JDR noted, you could get a V6 G70 Sport for $50K, still significantly undercutting the other two. But it's typically the OEM that offers up something in their press fleet per whatever guidelines the media outlet gave them. End placement results may not have changed from the overall article.
Old 05-22-19, 08:06 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I’m sorry but G70 is a JOKE as a sedan.
There is literally no legroom for rear passengers. The 3 series backseat is like a limo in comparison.

I have looked at it several times to see what the hype is about and left unimpressed.

The new 330i is really fast and actually sounds pretty good from outside.
Steering feel/weight and suspension are not ideal as MT states they are looking to please everyone.....
Old 05-22-19, 08:15 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I’m sorry but G70 is a JOKE as a sedan.
There is literally no legroom for rear passengers. The 3 series backseat is like a limo in comparison.

I have looked at it several times to see what the hype is about and left unimpressed.

The new 330i is really fast and actually sounds pretty good from outside.
Steering feel/weight and suspension are not ideal as MT states they are looking to please everyone.....
The rear seat is really my one issue with the G70. Otherwise I like the car, but it would never work for me. The 3 Series has a much larger interior space, agreed.
Old 05-22-19, 08:58 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,477 Likes on 1,792 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It feels a lot different from how it looks. Judging by your "econobox" assessment of the interior, I guess you haven't been in any econoboxes lately? Or, Model 3s? One of those.
Old 05-22-19, 09:19 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 462 Likes on 291 Posts

Tesla is changing expectations around what defines performance and the technology in their cars is first rate.

They fall short for me in two areas. The first is build quality/reliability, which continues to be sub par, and the second is the material quality and design of the interior, which is way off the pace. Neither are exclusive to the model 3, the S and X suffer from build issues and their interiors are similarly significantly behind price comparable vehicles. I’d also add ride quality which also continues to lag their competitors.

With all of that said they are impressive vehicles and in future iterations we may well see interiors that do the rest of the car justice.
Old 05-22-19, 09:56 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

The absolute highest sticker possible for a G70 2.0T Sport (most comparable trim to the other two) is $45,896, just $1k more than their tester. Even a fully-loaded 3.3T AWD model with every option only comes to $52,495. There's simply no way to get anywhere near the $60k price of the BMW. It's also significantly better equipped than the Model 3, even at a much lower price point. None of this should not be surprising, as Genesis is priced as a value play against its competitors.
Old 05-22-19, 09:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To get the G70 closer in price, you need to move up to the TTV6. A comparably priced G70 to a 3-Series isn't comparably equipped. That's the G70 advantage.
Old 05-22-19, 10:24 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

The G70 can still maintain that advantage with the turbo V6, though. If I were looking in the segment for something around $55k, I would note that I could get a well equipped 4 cylinder 330i for that price, or for a bit less, I could get the G70 with the V6. It really is a good deal.
Old 05-22-19, 10:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

What a stupid magazine. The BMW is superior in every "sports sedan" performance measurement, yet the G70 is ranked ahead. Lame. All bias. Lots of cliche
Old 05-22-19, 10:37 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,677 Likes on 2,267 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

What tech in the car is so marvelous? And what does it accomplish?
Old 05-22-19, 10:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What a stupid magazine. The BMW is superior in every "sports sedan" performance measurement, yet the G70 is ranked ahead. Lame. All bias. Lots of cliche
Did you read the full article? I didn't paste the whole thing because it was quite long. The comparison was not about which is the best sports sedan, it was which is the best compact luxury sedan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor Trend Comparo - 330i vs G70 vs Model 3