IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2015 IS250 60k miles service

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 10:42 AM
Beezkneezz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2015 IS250 60k miles service

I purchased my IS250 back in 2016 as a CPO with 10k miles on it. I'm coming up on 60k miles and will be doing the big 60k miles service at the dealer. The car is in great condition and I've serviced it every 5k miles at the same Lexus dealer I've bought it from. I wanted to understand some of the key service items they will be replacing/checking/servicing to get an idea on costs and if there are any pricey items that I could work on myself or third party service center (brake pads/rotors) instead of paying 3x the price at the dealer. Would also appreciate any insight on what I should get done at the dealer regardless of price since it may not be worth the hassle of doing so at a cheap service center. Thanks
Old 05-21-19, 10:49 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Beezkneezz
I purchased my IS250 back in 2016 as a CPO with 10k miles on it. I'm coming up on 60k miles and will be doing the big 60k miles service at the dealer. The car is in great condition and I've serviced it every 5k miles at the same Lexus dealer I've bought it from. I wanted to understand some of the key service items they will be replacing/checking/servicing to get an idea on costs and if there are any pricey items that I could work on myself or third party service center (brake pads/rotors) instead of paying 3x the price at the dealer. Would also appreciate any insight on what I should get done at the dealer regardless of price since it may not be worth the hassle of doing so at a cheap service center. Thanks
Well everything can be done cheaper at a local car care center. Also it depends on how handy you are with tools, I would do the brakes and rotors myself, this is based on wear and not actual time frame. Cabin and engine air filter the same, save the money and do it yourself.

Lexus does not call for transmission fluid change but I would do it, I don’t believe in life time fluid and would change the transmission and differential fluid every 60k miles if you plan on keeping the car a long period of time. Other then that the only thing that is really call for is the oil change and brake fluid, which can all be easily done at home with the right tools or at a service center. Everything else is a visual inspection.

I have had back surgery so I if I’m feeling good I will do it all myself, if my back is acting up then I take my own materials to a local shop and just pay the labor.
Old 05-23-19, 01:06 PM
Ajowhan
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I was going to start a thread with the same 60k miles service so please dont mind if I piggyback your thread.

Was wondering what kind of service would you do at 60k asides from oil change and brake? I was told to do all the fluid change if I have never done it like transmission, differential, brake, coolant, am I missing anything?
Old 05-23-19, 02:39 PM
jdt1984
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got the 60K service in March on my ‘15 250. The big ticket items were the brake fluid flush and spark plug replacement. The whole service cost around $900 if I recall. I’m in Nashville.
The following users liked this post:
Beezkneezz (05-30-19)
Old 05-30-19, 09:42 AM
Beezkneezz
Driver School Candidate

Holy**** that is quite pricey and not what I was expecting. I have mine scheduled for this weekend. Wonder how much they charged you for labor on the spark plug and for the actual part. Brake fluid flush sounds reasonable, Thanks for the info!
Old 05-30-19, 09:47 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I'm getting close to 60k service too it won't be cheap for sure. $900 sounds about right.
Old 05-30-19, 11:31 AM
Beezkneezz
Driver School Candidate

Just got a quote from my dealer for parts and labor. Oil change ($94), brake fluid flush ($155), cabin filter ($86), engine filter ($68), smart key battery ($6), spark plugs ($406), and inspection. Estimated time is 4-5 hrs.Total comes to around ~$800.

I looked up prices for some of the R&R items and it seems like the prices dealers charge is highway robbery. Based on Lexus parts website, cabin filter ($47), engine filter ($6?), spark plugs ($16/each). I also spoke to another third party mechanic and he recommends also changing the drive train belt and diff fluid flush. Highly doubt I'd be doing that since it's not required. Not sure how I should go about this now. I'm almost inclined to buy the spark plugs myself and take them to the dealer and pay them for labor, and replace the cabin/engine filters myself. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-30-19, 12:32 PM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

Mine cost around 900$ without spark plugs but i did do the front and rear diff fluid change. Honestly, find a local guy and save yourself money
Old 05-30-19, 07:05 PM
Ajowhan
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Just got a quote from my dealer for parts and labor. Oil change ($94), brake fluid flush ($155), cabin filter ($86), engine filter ($68), smart key battery ($6), spark plugs ($406), and inspection. Estimated time is 4-5 hrs.Total comes to around ~$800.

I looked up prices for some of the R&R items and it seems like the prices dealers charge is highway robbery. Based on Lexus parts website, cabin filter ($47), engine filter ($6?), spark plugs ($16/each). I also spoke to another third party mechanic and he recommends also changing the drive train belt and diff fluid flush. Highly doubt I'd be doing that since it's not required. Not sure how I should go about this now. I'm almost inclined to buy the spark plugs myself and take them to the dealer and pay them for labor, and replace the cabin/engine filters myself. Any advice is appreciated.
What kind of cabin filter are they putting in for $86??? It better be filtering bad luck..
Old 05-31-19, 06:59 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

These prices are outrageous
Old 06-03-19, 07:16 AM
Beezkneezz
Driver School Candidate

I know...it's annoying. I'm going to change out spark plugs and filters myself. Obviously will get an oil change somewhere much cheaper, same w brake fluid change. If you guys have any suggestions on large service providers that do a good job for a reasonable price or anyone in Houston, TX, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited by Beezkneezz; 06-03-19 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-03-19, 08:41 AM
SikhSipahi
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you bought your car CPO with like 40k miles. You get 4 services free, 60K service is free (Yes including Plug replacement). The dealer normally charges 900-1100 depending on where you live.
Old 06-03-19, 12:24 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajowhan
What kind of cabin filter are they putting in for $86??? It better be filtering bad luck..
With regards to the drive belt (or serpentine belt), it's one of those inspect and change if necessary items. At 60K miles it's certainly plausible the belt is dry cracking and glazed...which would indicate it's time to replace.
It may not be making noise yet, but then again you don't usually wait for brakes to go metal to metal before changing them either...it's inspect and replace as necessary.
With the diff fluids I would agree with the tech...I did mine at 50K kilometers (30K miles)...and it was a good time to do them. Nothing last forever and there's nothing special about the gear oil...it's gear oil.

Cabin filter...unlike the engine air filter, there is a labor cost built into that $86...so it's just not the filter, you're paying for the tech to replace it. That can easily be done by yourself and save the labor cost.
Spark plugs...iridium plugs ain't cheap. And yes you could probably save a couple bucks by buying them elsewhere and then paying for labor...but on the 3.5L/2.0t they are not terribly hard to change if you're mechanically inclined and have the tools.
Beezkneezz (06-03-19)
Old 06-03-19, 12:46 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

I know...it's annoying. I'm going to change out spark plugs and filters myself. Obviously will get an oil change somewhere much cheaper, same w brake fluid change. If you guys have any suggestions on large service providers that do a good job for a reasonable price or anyone in Houston, TX, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Go see Scotty Kilmer
Flash5 (06-04-19)
Old 07-17-19, 07:19 PM
Coogrrr94
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
Go see Scotty Kilmer
I could be wrong, but I think Scotty Kilmer is just a YouTube personality now. I don't think he has a garage anymore.

Quick Reply: 2015 IS250 60k miles service