Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does the Lexus ES Have Any Shortcomings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 09:22 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Does the Lexus ES Have Any Shortcomings?

Does the Lexus ES Have Any Shortcomings?
By Wiliam Mutugi

The latest iteration of the Lexus ES raises the standard of luxury.

Old 05-20-19, 09:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I know I'm in the minority here (and I've had this discussion before, with several Car-Chat posters, who disagree with me), but I simply am not impressed by the level of the current ES's sound-insulation, nor its ride quality with the 45-series tire package. Nor am I impressed with its interior or dash-design. The superb 4Gen ES330/350, except for a few drive-by-wire quirks in the engine/transmission ECU, set a standard for the ES which, IMO, has not been equalled before or since.
Old 05-20-19, 09:48 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

majorly, it's FWD

and this one still has the ridiculous grille
Old 05-21-19, 12:27 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Some may not like its ungainly long front overhang styling.

Also, the slightly low roofline and waistline, combined with the pinched tail styling, means the 7ES's trunk is not quite as capacious as some of its peers, especially for vertical depth.

And of course, it handles like a front wheel drive vehicle, with cheap single lower link MacPherson strut front suspension.

Old 05-21-19, 05:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Only thing I can think of is the lack of plug-in capability for the plug in. No lithium ion battery either .
Old 05-21-19, 06:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
And of course, it handles like a front wheel drive vehicle, with cheap single lower link MacPherson strut front suspension.
Most of those who purchase or lease an ES are probably not looking for sport-sedan handling. They are looking for comfort and an easy ride.
Old 05-21-19, 08:27 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

From my perspective, the front suspension was fine. I had no issues with the ride quality on my base-model ES 350 loaner. And, it was quiet as well. I'd say it's quieter than the last-gen ES, though not Genesis G80 levels of quiet. Overall I think it's a really solid car, and the main shortcomings are down to handling. But, what you get for that trade-off is a smooth ride. Honestly the upgrade to TNGA-K is a huge boon for this car - it made the Camry noticeably more refined than the last-gen Camry as well, and it's no different in the ES.
Old 05-21-19, 02:10 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Most of those who purchase or lease an ES are probably not looking for sport-sedan handling. They are looking for comfort and an easy ride.
Very true, but I wish they could shorten the front overhang just a few inches - 7ES's front overhang is even longer than the Camry's.

Old 05-21-19, 02:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

but I simply am not impressed by the level of the current ES's sound-insulation, nor its ride quality with the 45-series tire package. Nor am I impressed with its interior or dash-design. .
From everything I have seen and from experience, the new ES350 is very quiet and rides quite well. I also think both the ES and Avalon are a cut above the Buick LaCrosse, specifically in interior build quality. I do like how the LaCrosse rides. I think the ES/Avalon are little more quiet. I am not really a fan of the new ES rear styling. LaCrosse has excellent front end styling.
Old 05-21-19, 03:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
From everything I have seen and from experience, the new ES350 is very quiet and rides quite well. I also think both the ES and Avalon are a cut above the Buick LaCrosse, specifically in interior build quality. I do like how the LaCrosse rides. I think the ES/Avalon are little more quiet. I am not really a fan of the new ES rear styling. LaCrosse has excellent front end styling.
I agree that the 2019 Avalon/ES interiors use more solid materials inside than they did before (especially from 2013-2015), but I don't agree on the quietness or ride-comfort issue for the ES with 45-series tires.
Old 05-21-19, 05:02 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree that the 2019 Avalon/ES interiors use more solid materials inside than they did before (especially from 2013-2015), but I don't agree on the quietness or ride-comfort issue for the ES with 45-series tires.
I'm not sure what was wrong with the ES you tested, but mine with the 18" wheels and 45 series tires rides very well and is extremely quiet. Even Alex gave it a A+ in both ride and noise. My car, a UL with the noise reducing wheels, is among the quietest I have driven.
Old 05-21-19, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I'm not sure what was wrong with the ES you tested, but mine with the 18" wheels and 45 series tires rides very well and is extremely quiet. Even Alex gave it a A+ in both ride and noise. My car, a UL with the noise reducing wheels, is among the quietest I have driven.
While I stand by my statement on the (particular) one I sampled, it is possible, even with the noted Lexus standard of quality-control, that it had a sample-defect in it that just happened to get out of the factory undetected...maybe a bad seal or bad fit around the windshield, windows, or doors, which added to road and wind noise, and I just happened to catch the luck of the draw on the test-drive.

Since several people on the forum disagree with me on the new ES, even on the model with the 45-series tires (and I'm well-aware of that disagreement), what I might (?) do is try and find another sample equipped the same way (45-series), give it another random test-drive, and see if the second sample isn't a little more refined. The 2019 XLE Avalon I sampled, with 55-series tires, was definitely more refined...I might even sample a new ES that way.
Old 05-21-19, 06:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd say very little is wrong with the ES. It's not supposed to ride or handle like a sports sedan, so the suspension is just right. Those purchasing these cars are sedate drivers interested in comfort over all other things.
Styling is subjective. If one is okay with the Lexus look, then they should generally be okay with the ES's lines. I think they pulled it off quite well, although it gained a mild dumpy butt look with the redesign. The last edition had a more substantial rear, along with more elegant and expensive-looking taillights at night.
Old 05-21-19, 06:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Thanks. Real owner feedback.
Old 05-22-19, 06:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thanks. Real owner feedback.
Agreed, but vehicles can often be well-evaluated even by non-owners. Alex Dykes proves that.

Quick Reply: Does the Lexus ES Have Any Shortcomings?