LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Low/No oil?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-19, 02:24 PM
mrbuddy
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low/No oil?!?

I've been driving a 2008 LS460 for a year now with 120k on the odometer. Usually right before the next oil change comes due per the sticker I start getting a low oil light periodically, mostly while idling. I've never pulled the dipstick before today after getting a low oil light. After about 5 minutes sitting in the garage the dip stick comes out bone dry. What?!?

Last oil change was in March so I'm not quite due yet. The car is not leaking on the ground, seems to be in great shape and shows no other major symptoms.

Last edited by mrbuddy; 05-19-19 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-19-19, 03:46 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

This is a common issue with these cars and nothing to really be concerned about, Like FunFact stated you need to periodically check the oil level on any car but especially this one. It's not unusual to be down a quart or two around the 3500- 4000 mile mark. Do I think that's acceptable? NO but like I said it seems to be a common thing and nothing to get worked up about.
Old 05-19-19, 03:53 PM
mrbuddy
6th Gear

Not sure the sensitivity of the dipstick. Down a quart or two means no reading?
Old 05-19-19, 04:10 PM
tx170754
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

If your last oil change was done in March, and assuming that they put the right amount of oil in it and you did not drive the car for several thousand of miles, end even so, if there is no sign of oil on your dipstick you may have a big oil consumption problem, which at 120,000 miles you shouldn’t have, I would take car to a dealer and have them check it. You can also add oil to the middle mark on the dipstick and then check it periodically, if the level goes down fast then you have a problem.
The following users liked this post:
mrbuddy (05-19-19)
Old 05-19-19, 05:36 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
This is a common issue with these cars
I may be only an n-of-one (well, maybe two) but I've never had this issue with my 2007 (100,000 miles) or 2014 (40,000 miles) LS. I don't think using a quart or more of oil over 5000 miles is normal, despite the small group of people that have posted this issue on the forum.
Old 05-20-19, 01:49 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Try again when the engine is cold like let it sit a long while the check again.

Ppl need to be checking their own oil levels every week or so, just in case, if something happens you can catch it.
Old 05-20-19, 08:32 AM
JPauwels
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll add to what everyone else is saying here. NEVER wait for your oil light to come on. By the time you see that light, your engine may have already sustained damage. It's not meant to be used for that purpose. It's more of a final warning to stop driving immediately and add oil before you experience catastrophic engine failure. If you check the oil when the oil light is on, I'd expect it to be bone dry because that's all the light does is save you from destroying your engine by running it without oil. It's not meant to be used like a fuel light.

That goes for any car and not just this model. Since you know that it's losing oil, whatever the reason, you should check it periodically and add oil as needed to keep it filled to the appropriate level.
Old 05-20-19, 08:45 AM
mrbuddy
6th Gear

I was two quarts low after 2,000 miles of driving. I'll start keeping a closer eye on it.
Old 05-20-19, 09:25 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbuddy
Not sure the sensitivity of the dipstick. Down a quart or two means no reading?
Generally yes.

I can pour a 5 quart jug of oil in my GS430 and would get no reading or just at the very bottom of the dipstick, it was the last quart of oil which gave the reading and made the difference between low and the correct amount.

You need to put a lot of oil in the engine before you get even a low reading on a dipstick. Just because your dipstick reads low or does not show oil does not mean you still don't have a good amount of oil in the engine, the dipstick is only really reading the top level of oil. You still have to add oil and keep it at the correct level but it is not like the engine has no oil in it and being run dry just because there is no oil reading on the dipstick, there is a margin.

The LS is known for consuming oil, it also has a very large sump which is why it takes over 9 quarts for a relatively small V8.

Last edited by UDel; 05-20-19 at 09:30 AM.
mrbuddy (05-20-19)
Old 05-20-19, 10:42 AM
colfax
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

My 07 with 115,000 miles now burns about a quart every 800-1000 miles.

I keep in the garage around five quarts of 0-20 full synthetic from Autozone's brand STP because it is their cheapest, I check level every two weeks add as necessary.

I used to change at 5000 miles but I have now switched to 7500 as the oil at 5000 is still very good and clear looking.
mrbuddy (05-20-19)
Old 05-20-19, 11:06 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I had a brain cramp and forgot to check oil in our ‘08 w/126k miles. We wife drives the car on daily basis. Lo and behold, I’m driving the car couple weeks ago and the low oil light comes on. I was only few miles away from home (the light would stay in for few seconds and disappear), so made it home without any issues. Roughly 2.5 quarts later, the oil got to the middle of the dipstick markings.
Old 05-20-19, 11:07 AM
Lead Lap

Received 750 Likes on 504 Posts

It is not normal at all. Mine only loses 0.5 quart between oil changes. Anything more your engine consumes oil excessively
mrbuddy (05-20-19)
Old 05-20-19, 02:04 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by FunFact
Let's break down why this is wrong:
1. To say that because your GS did one thing and it means another car does the same thing is a generalization fallacy, and quite frankly most cars that I've dealt (which is a very large number) which have show as empty, or even low, end up needing multiple quarts before it shows on the dipstick. A dry dipstick on some cars can take 3+ quarts of the 5-6 quart capacity. Not the very last quart. Usually the last quart is the difference between the low marker and being around centered in terms of oil capacity.
2. If your dipstick is dry, and the car is like your GS's oil reading (which is an abnormality in the automotive work), once it's below the threshold of being able to touch oil you have no idea what the oil level is. To claim that there is still oil is also fallacious, because if your indicator no longer shows anything then you have no idea what is going on. The only way you know how much oil is left is by draining and measuring it.

So, to summarize, you made a fallacious statement to try to support a very costly, very poor way of "maintaining" a vehicle. Why? I do not know, but I do know that you are wrong and I ask that you refrain from giving advice, because it's clear that you do not have the expertise to give advice on these subject.

OP, do not listen to him. Most cars read empty on a dipstick when there is little oil left in the car, which puts your car at risk for spun bearings and seized pistons from lack of lubrication. You need to learn to regularly check your oil and keep it filled.
Wow, talk about a lack of reading comprehension.

Lets break down why you should re read things before you post, why you are wrong, and point out why you are arguing against something that was never said.

First of all I said GENERALLY. Not all cases.

It was not just my GS430, it is all the cars I have owned and changed oil, I just gave a example of my GS430.

I never once said not to keep your oil at the correct levels, not to watch it, to do nothing about a low reading, or it is okay to drive a car that is reading low oil or nothing shows up on the dipstick, nor did I give any advice on any way of maintaining your vehicle that way, don't know how you got that. Actually this is what I said since you missed it the first time.
"You still have to add oil and keep it at the correct level"

This was not just my personal experience but car mechanics telling me what I said too, again neither the mechanics nor I ever said to not check your oil periodically, to not do anything about a low/no oil reading(you need to add oil to get it to the proper level), just that if your reading is low or you don't get the reading in most cases you don't have to panic thinking you ran the engine dry, it normally does not mean you have no oil in the engine as it still takes a good amount of oil to even get a reading. Being just a quart or 2 low can give a very low reading or no reading in many cases, it is not like the engine had no oil in it.

Definitely don't listen to this guy telling you to drain your oil and then measure it to see how much oil you have in your engine when you have a low reading, terrible advice.
sha4000 (05-21-19)
Old 05-20-19, 02:49 PM
tx170754
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Apparently he also had a “low oil warning” along with no oil sign on the dipstick, not so sure what’s happening there but unless they did not put the right amount of oil when they did change it, his engine definitely has an oil problem, the dealer could probably easy detect it, compression test, etc. It is really a surprise for me to hear that oil consumption is a common Lexus problem, my 460 is the second Japanese car, the first was a M45, I have always drove German cars but never had an oil consumption problem...
Old 05-21-19, 07:07 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Lexus states in the owners manual that anything up to 1.1 quarts every 600 miles is acceptable oil consumption. 1.1 or over they tell to contact the nearest dealer for an oil consumption test. So Lexus had the engine built, tested and produced with all this in mind. Now I don't like the fact that the scary LOW ENGINE OIL light comes on btw 3-4k miles into a 5k oil change but according to the manufacturer this is normal. If you don't like what Lexus deems normal your free to get rid of the car and try another manufacturers normal. From what I've read lots of these newer engines burn a certain amount of oil and it's considered normal throughout the industry. I keep 5 gallon jugs around so I can top up the oil and just keep driving my car. FYI my 400 never burned oil but that engine can't even compare to the 460.

Quick Reply: Low/No oil?!?