GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

06 GS4560H problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-19, 03:41 AM
Synch
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 06 GS4560H problem

Hi

I've searched the internet and absolutely nothing has been coming up.

My car isn't starting normally anymore. It flashes READY for a bit and then starts the petrol engine but not the electric one. It won't charge the batteries. I can put sometimes my gearbox in R and D but sometimes it just kills my car.

Using Techstream I managed to get one code: P0867 (Transmission Fluid Pressure). If I put the gear in R or D, then comes P0868 also and that indicates low pressure but won't come if I won't engage my gearbox.

I'm a little bit unsure what do to. I found this: https://st.club-lexus.ru/attach/u/bc...67ff8f5458.pdf

Is this the culprit of my problem or the transmission oil pump?

Thank you!

EDIT:

Oil Pressure Sensor change is a nice and not a very long DIY.

I put my car on a flat bed and I managed to get under it. I removed the plastic cover what was covering the transmission. Had only 2 plastic screws holding it. When you remove the plastic cover, you'll see the transmission itself.

Now remove the drain plug. It should be M14 and in the picture it is on the left side. The right side is the overfill plug that you need to use when you are pumping the new oil in.

06 GS4560H problem-u4n51w0.jpg

After it has been poured out, then you just put the plug back in. Don't mind putting a new washer in there because you won't need it right now. I managed to pour out about 3.5 Litres of oil.

06 GS4560H problem-vr9jwwr.jpg

Be sure to have your items near you, so you can easily get to them.

06 GS4560H problem-knrpamm.jpg

After the oil is drainer, remove 6x M10 bolts from the transmission sump. When you have removed them, then gently pull the sump down. If it hasn't been opened for long, then the rubber case is going to be stiff. After you remove the sump, you can see the valve body with solenoids and the oil filter.

06 GS4560H problem-b1b5ls2.jpg

Now remove 3x M10 silver bolts from the oil filter housing and remove the oil filter. Be careful because there may be some oil left in it, don't pour it on you like I did.

06 GS4560H problem-bofspxj.jpg

06 GS4560H problem-safrn58.jpg

06 GS4560H problem-grunm2k.jpg

Now you can see that there are wires and many other things. The main thing you need to look out for is not to brake the wires.

STILL IN WORK

Last edited by Synch; 06-12-19 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-14-19, 04:28 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Maybe the fluid needs to be changed, have you tried changing it?
Old 05-14-19, 04:40 AM
Synch
Driver School Candidate

Hi

I thought I could see fluid level via Techstream but no. I've had VAG COM cars and with VCDS I could see the fluid level...

I don't think that fluid level would cause that or would it? Haven't seen loss of power neither have I felt that the gearbox is slipping etc. I tried the oil pump test via Techstream yesterday, the 500RPM and 1000RPM. I started it and heard the pump starting and spinning so maybe the gearbox oil pump is good for now.
Old 05-14-19, 05:16 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

13 year old fluid, thats more likely turned into the viscosity of thick syrup all these years. That would be my guess as to why your having issues with the pump, I think the pump is getting strained and over worked which is why it triggered the fluid pressure code. Because of the transmission code, the hybrid is acting funny. Change the fluids, and unplug the batteries see if that helps.
Old 05-14-19, 05:35 AM
Synch
Driver School Candidate

Would the pump work if the fluid is bad? The fluid will come out aprox. 2.5 litres and I can put back in 2.5L fresh fluid. Maybe there isn't enough fluid?
Old 05-14-19, 06:03 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Synch
Would the pump work if the fluid is bad? The fluid will come out aprox. 2.5 litres and I can put back in 2.5L fresh fluid. Maybe there isn't enough fluid?
I dont have experience with this cvt transmission. But for standard transmission you can drain the fluid into a measuring container, and fill with fresh fluid but you add a little extra fluid. With your techstream, you will want to look at the transmission temp, lexus has a certain temp that when it reaches you open the bottom drain and theres a small straw it drains from. With the fluid temp hot enough it reaches a height level and the excess drains. If you do not see any fluids drain that means the transmission is low on fluid

You need to check the manual to see what those temps are and if the procedure I told you will be the same for the cvt. Also I believe cvt fluid is different from the regular toyota WS
Old 05-14-19, 07:29 AM
Synch
Driver School Candidate

Hi again

I came back from work and started the car. It had been more then 12 hours so it was cold. After starting (still READY) flashing and only starting onn gasoline it didn't throw any codes, neither CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM. So I put the gear on D and pressed my brake and was holding it like that for more then 5 minutes. Suddenly the engine droppes out and the message appears.

Does this mean that if it's cold nothing is wrong and when it warms up the gearbox the pressure is wrong? Would that indicate low fluid then?
Old 05-14-19, 08:10 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

It should be the other way around, if the fluid is cold the viscosity would be thicker and once it warms up it should flow smoother.
Old 05-14-19, 08:14 AM
Synch
Driver School Candidate

So it isn't a fluid problem...

So the switches or the pumps themselves I reckon.

Edit: I drove it to my home today. Was about 10KM and no problems. When I reversed and parked it, it died yet again.

What is happening!

Last edited by Synch; 05-14-19 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-14-19, 11:03 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts

The fluid capacity is around 6 to 7l. I think around 5 should come out once you remove the drain plug, assuming the car is level. Might be this.
Old 05-14-19, 06:18 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Synch
So it isn't a fluid problem...

So the switches or the pumps themselves I reckon.

Edit: I drove it to my home today. Was about 10KM and no problems. When I reversed and parked it, it died yet again.

What is happening!
Maybe if you can keep a scanner running and data streaming/logging that shows the graphs or the sensors/fuel/etc. See what is getting shut off when it acts up. Maybe a sensor is going crazy and therefore triggering the ecu to shut it off.

Are you running all original batteries? Maybe you have a dead cell? Maybe your hybrid batteries have corrosion between them. Maybe a cleaning and check up off all the batteries to make sure there within spec, if its easily accessible. Could be something stupid like a bad or corroded ground.

Wish I can help you more, but like I said I dont know too much about the hybrid system.
Old 05-14-19, 10:50 PM
Synch
Driver School Candidate

Hi

When I bought the car there were 12 old hybrid cells. They had changed them, they didn't need to change that much but because some of them weren't that good anymore they did everything because it's a pain in the butt to do.

I tried to log but I can't find any sensor reading from the data stream. I'm staggered.

Everything is fine when you drive on the freeway via 90KM/H (55Miles/H). But when you drive in the city or accelerate then everything will go bad. If the hybrid batteries would be the cause, it should throw codes from them, I think.
Old 05-16-19, 10:24 PM
Synch
Driver School Candidate

Just an update to the situation.

Managed to find via Techstream T/M Oil Pressure values and everything that was displayed was 0. That should indicate that oil pressure switch(s) have been goners for now. This is a Lexus bulletin EG-0096L-1112. This indicates that the switches can be worn and will throw that code like mine. It would indicate pressure low because it can't read any value I think.

The main problem would be, if I change the switches and everything, how do I reprogram the ECU with the new values. Is that achievable with Techstream?
Old 05-17-19, 05:14 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts

It is achievable... but quite costly, and you can't do that without an officially supported adapter, to my knowledge.
Old 05-17-19, 09:01 PM
Synch
Driver School Candidate

Does it even matter? Can't I just change the oil pressure switches and move on?

Quick Reply: 06 GS4560H problem