RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 Rx 330 Struts and radio replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-19, 12:27 PM
schwartzPT
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 Rx 330 Struts and radio replacement!

Ok gang!
New to the forum! Two questions. I need to replace front strut assemblies and based on a quick search KYB is popular, any feedback on these or others? Has anyone used duralast?

Also, thinking about replacing the radio to an apple carplay compatible model. Also looking for recommendations!

Thanks in advance!

J
Old 05-13-19, 12:49 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 218 Likes on 186 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post10476261

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post10480635

Last edited by iMSQ; 05-13-19 at 12:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
schwartzPT (05-15-19)
Old 05-13-19, 08:11 PM
RX350LB
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default +1 For Monroe QuickStruts

I haven't replaced any struts on a Lexus, but I had great results replacing all the struts on a 1997 Maxima with Monroe QuickStruts. Restored the ride height, the ride quality, everything felt perfect. YMMV but I'll go that route when my RX needs it.
The following 2 users liked this post by RX350LB:
schwartzPT (05-15-19), ukrkoz (05-16-19)
Old 05-14-19, 09:45 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Like RX350LB, I have not replaced the struts on my Lexus yet. And like RX350LB, I did replaced struts on my 1997 Maxima that I had and used KYB struts. The KYB struts were stiffer than the stock and the car rode rougher. Handled better, but I wasn't happy with the rough ride.
schwartzPT (05-15-19)
Old 05-14-19, 01:01 PM
KMB
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do a search on Carplay here, and you'll find numerous thoughts and experiences. I opted for a Pioneer MVH-2400NEX, replacement of the terrible stock amp, and replacement of all speakers. There were a number of headaches along the way, but the end results are fantastic.

Be sure to view this complete video tutorial as well -- there are some handy wiring guides and time-savers in here.

For me, ultimately, the Axxess TYTO-01 amp interface was garbage. I stripped it apart, saving only the wiring harness, and threw away the rest.
schwartzPT (05-15-19)
Old 05-15-19, 03:28 PM
RX350LB
Driver School Candidate

Default Do Tell About Those Speakers and Amp

Originally Posted by KMB
Do a search on Carplay here, and you'll find numerous thoughts and experiences. I opted for a Pioneer MVH-2400NEX, replacement of the terrible stock amp, and replacement of all speakers. There were a number of headaches along the way, but the end results are fantastic.
Please elaborate on what amp and speakers you chose to go with to achieve a "fantastic result"! And did the new amp fit where the old one was?

After I replace my right-side leaking rack and pinion in a week or so (55,000 miles on the 08 RX), I want to turn my attention to exactly these issues. I installed a Kenwood DNX575S head unit and am terribly disappointed in the sound. I figure a $600 receiver should potentially sound a lot better than what I'm hearing.
Old 05-15-19, 04:16 PM
KMB
Driver

RX350LB, I went with an Alpine MRV-F300, for the incredibly clean Alpine sound that I love, the good price, and that its physical form is functionally pretty close to that of the original amp. And yes, I put it in the stock amp location, reusing the original mounting brackets with some minor spacing adjustments. My detailed write-up with photos is here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post10458406

For speakers, I went with Kicker CS-series at all eight points. I probably would have gone with Polks, but Kicker had a better match to the sizes of the stock speakers in all locations. They're a bit brash, but that actually fits my middle-age high-frequency hearing loss quite nicely. Bass sounds good but feels unimpressive, so the next upgrade is a Kicker 8" Hideaway powered sub... once I figure out where I'm going to run the positive power lead through.

I did run new line-level outputs back to the amp, then re-used the stock speaker wires (16 ga.?) from there. Audiophiles would object, but I don't believe my ears would discern enough difference to be worth the effort to run all new speaker wires.

Ultimately, I think my initial poor sound with the Pioneer but just the stock amp was due to three things:
1.) The Axxess TYTO-01 is a somewhat half-assed piece of equipment. Almost 20% of the online reviews I read had the same issues with it that I did.
2.) The stock amp is calibrated to drive 2-ohm speakers, and the Kickers are all 4-ohm.
3.) The Axxess TYTO-01 is designed to pass speaker-level output to the stock amp.

Last edited by KMB; 05-16-19 at 01:21 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-15-19, 08:11 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

No CarPlay, but added a plug and play unit from seicane audio, pretty happy with it. Made a post on it here, may just need to to dig through and find it
Old 05-20-19, 12:10 PM
schwartzPT
Driver School Candidate

OK gang, I went with Duralast loaded struts and will post how it goes when swap them! Thanks for the posts and the links!

Radio is next.....
KMB (05-22-19)
Old 05-24-19, 07:55 AM
RX350LB
Driver School Candidate

Default Please dont forget to update!

Originally Posted by schwartzPT
OK gang, I went with Duralast loaded struts and will post how it goes when swap them! Thanks for the posts and the links!

Radio is next.....
I'm very interested to know what you think of the ride after the strut replacement! Please post back.
Old 05-25-19, 07:20 AM
RX350LB
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks, KMB

Originally Posted by KMB
RX350LB, I went with an Alpine MRV-F300, for the incredibly clean Alpine sound that I love, the good price, and that its physical form is functionally pretty close to that of the original amp. And yes, I put it in the stock amp location, reusing the original mounting brackets with some minor spacing adjustments. My detailed write-up with photos is here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post10458406

For speakers, I went with Kicker CS-series at all eight points. I probably would have gone with Polks, but Kicker had a better match to the sizes of the stock speakers in all locations. They're a bit brash, but that actually fits my middle-age high-frequency hearing loss quite nicely. Bass sounds good but feels unimpressive, so the next upgrade is a Kicker 8" Hideaway powered sub... once I figure out where I'm going to run the positive power lead through.

I did run new line-level outputs back to the amp, then re-used the stock speaker wires (16 ga.?) from there. Audiophiles would object, but I don't believe my ears would discern enough difference to be worth the effort to run all new speaker wires.

Ultimately, I think my initial poor sound with the Pioneer but just the stock amp was due to three things:
1.) The Axxess TYTO-01 is a somewhat half-assed piece of equipment. Almost 20% of the online reviews I read had the same issues with it that I did.
2.) The stock amp is calibrated to drive 2-ohm speakers, and the Kickers are all 4-ohm.
3.) The Axxess TYTO-01 is designed to pass speaker-level output to the stock amp.
This last summary says a whole lot. I certainly helps to explain the terrible sound I am getting after the head unit upgrade. I was so focused on precisely following the spaghetti-mess color coded wiring charts wile soldering up the harness, that I did not even think about what connections I was actually making. LOL indeed, the TTYO-01 sends the speaker-level outputs to the crummy Lexus amp. Or wouldn't you call it a "power booster" like we did in the 1980's? Something that amplifies an already-amplified signal? So I need to run shielded RCA line-level inputs back to the new Alpine while installing, then de-pin and remove all the speaker-level output wires from the TTYO-01, to clean up under the dash a bit.

So I went and purchased the Alpine S-A32F, which is the slightly newer model of the Alpine MRV-F300 amp you specified. Thank you so much for the suggestion. Saved me a ton of research and guesswork.

So for the A-pillar tweeter you replaced with a Kicker CS that fit pretty well?
Old 05-25-19, 10:07 AM
KMB
Driver

Originally Posted by RX350LB
So for the A-pillar tweeter you replaced with a Kicker CS that fit pretty well?
Yes, fits perfectly. The stock tweeters have a small metal bracket that uses a ~⅛" (~3mm?) screw to hold the tweeter precisely in place. They're glued on, but I was determined. Twisted them off, reused the brackets and screws in the new Kicker tweeters, and it's a perfect fit.

I've read other users' comments that 1" tweeters will also fit, but the 1" ones cost almost twice as much, and my budget was harsh and unforgiving.

Now, the tricky thing is...

Two pairs of wires come up out of the dash to feed the Tweeters. One pair carries the signal from the amp to the Tweeter, the other pair passes it from the Tweeter to the Mid on the dash. I can't remember exactly how or why I went wrong, but I mistakenly connected the new Tweeters to the leads that passed through to the Mids, not to the actual signal pair. As a result, I ended up with no working Tweeters or Mids. I switched to the other wire pair, and all Tweeters and Mids worked again. t might take a bit of non-destructive experimentation to identify the feed wires vs. the passthroughs, and it's different on the right A-pillar and the left.

Also... the stock speakers in the doors have their own, glued-on mounting brackets, and it seems that any aftermarket speakers will also require some bracket but can't really reuse the stock ones. I bought all four door speakers from Crutchfield, who automatically bundled the correct mounting brackets for a 2006 RX.

Finally... as others here have found, while the dash speakers are purported to be 3.5", the 3.5" Kicker CS's I used are marginally too wide and too thick to fit in Lexus' precision-fit dash mounts. I mean, they'll fit in the space, but you won't be able to get the stock dash speaker grills back into place. I had to use a Dremel tool to both enlarge the dash recesses and thin down the rubber flange around each speaker.

It wasn't a quick or easy project by any means, so I'm really glad it's ended up sounding as good as it does.

Last edited by KMB; 05-25-19 at 10:37 AM. Reason: tons of details I forgot
Old 06-24-19, 08:28 AM
schwartzPT
Driver School Candidate

STRUT UPDATE:

Installed the struts approx 500 miles ago. So far so good. I think the ride quality is somewhat more firm, but I like a firmer suspension myself. It is difficult to say as the struts were I think on our way out when I purchased the vehicle, so my "normal" is probably not factory. Installation went fairly smooth with only a few minor hiccups but minor in the process.