LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tensioner Pulley removal help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 02:33 AM
norviewguy
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Tensioner Pulley removal help

Hey guys. I have officially fixed all issues except one on my LS.

First was the “knocking” in the front suspension. I repaired it by replacing the sway bar links. The old ones looked fine so I guess they were shot internally. Replacing them with a $40 pair from the local foreign car parts shop fixed my noises completely.

Subwoofer blew - (Levinson) pulled out the back seat pulled the sub and jumpered lines straight to the voice coil...problem solved.

Bad mufflers - Original mufflers had a big hole in both of them. So I got a pair of universals installed at a local muffler shop. HATED THEM! They were louder than the OG mufflers with the holes in them. Ordered used OEM left and right from eBay for $300. After installation I came to the realization that even though everyone I know says my car is one of the quieted vehicles they have ever been in, I purchased it with blown mufflers because it has never been this quiet.

ON TO THE REAL QUESTION.
How do I change the belt and tensioner pulley. I am going to explain what I think I should do and you guys correct me or tell me I got it right.

Connect to 14mm nut on the pulley and rotate LEFT to replace slack from belt. Remove belt. Then rotate nut to the RIGHT to loosen nut and replace pulley?
The following users liked this post:
Jazziejean (01-16-23)
Old 04-26-19, 03:48 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by norviewguy

First was the “knocking” in the front suspension. I repaired it by replacing the sway bar links. The old ones looked fine so I guess they were shot internally. Replacing them with a $40 pair from the local foreign car parts shop fixed my noises completely.

Subwoofer blew - (Levinson) pulled out the back seat pulled the sub and jumpered lines straight to the voice coil...problem solved.

Bad mufflers - Original mufflers had a big hole in both of them. So I got a pair of universals installed at a local muffler shop. HATED THEM! They were louder than the OG mufflers with the holes in them. Ordered used OEM left and right from eBay for $300. After installation I came to the realization that even though everyone I know says my car is one of the quieted vehicles they have ever been in, I purchased it with blown mufflers because it has never been this quiet.

ON TO THE REAL QUESTION.
How do I change the belt and tensioner pulley. I am going to explain what I think I should do and you guys correct me or tell me I got it right.

Connect to 14mm nut on the pulley and rotate LEFT to replace slack from belt. Remove belt. Then rotate nut to the RIGHT to loosen nut and replace pulley?
Wait a minute. What was the problem? You said you jumped the leads to the voice coil? Please explain. Thanks
Old 04-26-19, 04:50 AM
norviewguy
Driver

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
Wait a minute. What was the problem? You said you jumped the leads to the voice coil? Please explain. Thanks
My sub was crackling very loudly when the bass hits. So once I dug it out and looked at it while it played, I noticed the tinsel wire used to send the signal to the voice coil from the harness was sparking on the cone at each bass hit. I bought new tinsel wire from the electronic store and soldered one end to the input wire and the other end to the leads on the voice coil in the center of the woofer and the woofer has been fine for over a year now and I blast it regularly lol.

I basically did what’s in the picture but I used TINSEL wire. Using regular wire will fail.

Don’t use this type of wire. But this should give you a general idea

Last edited by norviewguy; 04-26-19 at 04:56 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by norviewguy:
ALK (04-26-19), fwhomeboy (04-26-19), mambo619 (04-26-19), tlk2megoos (08-16-19)
Old 04-26-19, 10:46 AM
ALK
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

ON TO THE REAL QUESTION.

I Attached instructions for removing and installing the belt.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
REMOVE V-RIBBED BELT.pdf (477.2 KB, 243 views)
File Type: pdf
INSTALL V-RIBBED BELT.pdf (474.2 KB, 161 views)
Old 04-26-19, 10:49 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

My sub was crackling very loudly when the bass hits. So once I dug it out and looked at it while it played, I noticed the tinsel wire used to send the signal to the voice coil from the harness was sparking on the cone at each bass hit. I bought new tinsel wire from the electronic store and soldered one end to the input wire and the other end to the leads on the voice coil in the center of the woofer and the woofer has been fine for over a year now and I blast it regularly lol.

I basically did what’s in the picture but I used TINSEL wire. Using regular wire will fail.

Got it. Thanks. That was a great find.

Don’t use this type of wire. But this should give you a general idea
Ok. Got it. Great find. Thanks
Old 04-26-19, 11:43 AM
norviewguy
Driver

Originally Posted by ALK
I Attached instructions for removing and installing the belt.
Thank you so much!! Do you have any resources for replacing the pulley itself?

Last edited by norviewguy; 04-26-19 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-26-19, 12:13 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

It's pretty simple. You need a 6mm hex tool for the center.

***DON'T LEAN ON THE SMALL UPPER RADIATOR TUBE THAT GOES TO THE FILL TANK.**
You'll need a new radiator if it snaps off!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...m-missing.html
Old 04-26-19, 12:13 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

BIG "money saving" TIP!!! Watch out for the radiator overflow connection..... It is easily broken if not careful!
Old 04-26-19, 02:05 PM
norviewguy
Driver

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
BIG "money saving" TIP!!! Watch out for the radiator overflow connection..... It is easily broken if not careful!
Originally Posted by JLAWS
***DON'T LEAN ON THE SMALL UPPER RADIATOR TUBE THAT GOES TO THE FILL TANK.**
You'll need a new radiator if it snaps off!!!
I promise you guys I am aware of this and it is the only thing that scares me about this repair. Lol
Old 04-26-19, 02:51 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
This and the blend door/cabin air door are the best tips I have found in the Club.!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-19, 03:12 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

I promise you guys I am aware of this and it is the only thing that scares me about this repair. Lol
I read the warnings when changing my serpentine belt then forgot when I was reaching down to loop the belt around the pulleys and snapped it off. Probably was a good thing since mine was recently repaired with epoxy which clogged up the tube and it was travel season for me. Find some type of enclosure that you can put around it.
Old 04-26-19, 03:16 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAWS
I read the warnings when changing my serpentine belt then forgot when I was reaching down to loop the belt around the pulleys and snapped it off. Probably was a good thing since mine was recently repaired with epoxy which clogged up the tube and it was travel season for me. Find some type of enclosure that you can put around it.
Good idea about the protection.
Old 07-31-19, 01:12 AM
Nycjxm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the tension pully ribbed

I ordered a new tensioner pulley and belt the belt is ribbed but the pully isnt
Old 11-26-19, 04:57 AM
ChrisDidIt
Driver School Candidate

Default 07 LS 460 tension pulley HELP

I have a 07 Ls460. I replaced the alternator and upon loosening the tension pulled, I removed the serpentine belt from the tension pulley. It caught hold of the ratchet and upon pulling the belt off the tension pulley came out. Nothing appears broken but I’m having a problem putting tension pulley back into its slot, flush and correctly. Can any one PLEASE ASSIST. Do I need to remove and other pulley (large rotary with 4 bolts on it) or is it a special method to putting it back on correctly??? Walk through and or pictures Are greatly appreciated....

Not flush!!!
Old 08-15-21, 09:10 AM
warpedmart
Driver School Candidate

Default Rad Fix

I broke this off a couple of years ago also, but was able to tap the radiator hole and then screw in an f-connector with some PTFE tape and then put the hose back on - job done now stronger than the original and cheaper than a new rad!