RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Used RCF or Newer Mustang GT Premium

Old 04-25-19, 12:42 PM
Brosillo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Used RCF or Newer Mustang GT Premium

I kind of assumed this comparison would have had it's own thread by now, but was unable to find anything while searching. That being said, I wanted to know what everyone's thoughts are on buying a very slightly used Mustang GT with Premium Package w/ 6-speed (and possibly performance pack too) vs a higher mileage 2015 RCF. The mustang would most likely be a 2016-2017 with less than 30,000 miles. I've seen plenty of these going for $25k-$30k. The RCF on the other hand will probably have around 60,000 miles and is going for $35k-$38k. I will not get the base model GT because I don't think I could go back to cloth seats, no heat/cooled seats, tiny screen, and overall cheap interior. Gotta have that leather! In the end, I'm just trying to see if spending the extra $10,000 is worth if for the slightly older and higher mileage RCF.

Performance between the two are practically a tie, maybe leaning slightly towards the RCF. Mustang does have more aftermarket that would even that up pretty quickly.

Luxury obviously leans heavily towards the Lexus, but the premium interior of the Mustang looks really nice in pictures. Has anyone sat in or drove one that would be able to share any first hand experience? My 11 year old IS350 interior is as nice as anything I could need, so I'm wondering if the extra cost of the RCF's interior might be wasted cost if it turns out the mustang premium is still pretty nice.

Reliability leans towards Lexus, but I haven't really heard anything too negative about the newer mustangs in this regard.

Resale: Now this is one may be a tipping point one way or the other. I think there is about a 50/50 chance I will be trading in this vehicle in 3-4 years when I go to start a family. Will an RCF or a Mustang GT Premium take a bigger hit over the next 4 years and 50,000 miles? Just based off the ISF, I would guess that the RCF would hold value better, but they have depreciated quite quickly over the last few years. We know mustangs depreciate quickly too, but this newest version is much more refined, so maybe this one is different? I honestly have zero idea on this end.

Side note: I will be getting the 6-speed if I get a Mustang. The 10-speed auto may be "better" but I thing the manual would make me happier. I have test drove the RCF and loved everything about it beside the acceleration lag in auto mode. Haven't even thought about the mustang until recently, so I haven't been able to test drive one yet. Just wanted to see what you all thought about these specific questions before I am wooed by the 6-speed and exhaust note of the Mustang without being aware of the possible pitfalls of buying that vehicle. My main deal is that I don't want to buy the RCF and regret spending the extra $10k, but I also don't want to regret not buying the RCF because I was being cheap. I can afford either vehicle, but it's not exactly chump change looking at a $450/mo vs $650/mo payment. Thanks for any and all help!
Old 04-25-19, 01:11 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

I see dozens of Ford Mustangs everyday. Maybe more. They are a performance bargain. I drove a 16 GT with a manual and it did not feel as fast as the RCF. The manual made it feel slower. The engine felt great though and it was a blast to drive. Overall, I thought it was a good car.

The RCF on the other hand is a special car. Rare. Never see them. Build quality is miles ahead of Ford. I also love the styling of the RCF. The interior is light years ahead of Ford. I never get tired of driving, washing and just looking at my RCF.

Obviously I looked at Mustang when I bought my RCF. I could get a new Mustang GT or my 2015 RCF for about the same price. In the end I knew I would get bored with a Mustang. I may get bored with the RCF but it has not happened yet! I feel like it would be very hard to part with it.
Old 04-25-19, 01:59 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I believe the 2016 - 2017 is the 435 HP version and not the 2018+ HP with the 460 HP. The 435 HP was tested to be slower than the RCF especially at higher speeds and around the track (AutoBild Germany. See below). The 6 speed gear ratios are very odd as they are super short and run out of steam over 100+ mph. Still, for the RCF a lot of your money goes towards the luxury/quality in terms of performance/dollar.

Also, keep in mind the 6 speed manual on GT neing notorious for having synchromesh issues where the gears are locked out.

Exhaust is a none issue as I fixed it with a brilliant Invidia full catback and it sounds amazing in real life.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ap-videos.html

My RCF Exhaust:

Old 04-25-19, 02:29 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

If performance is your top priority then get the Mustang. They have the largest aftermarket on the planet. Even if the RC F can beat it stock, it costs very little to get more HP on a Mustang.

If luxury and reliability are your top priority and you don't want a car that rattles everywhere after some use then obviously get the Lexus.
Old 04-25-19, 03:17 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Ask same question on Mustang forums and like others suggested ask yourself what the purpose of the car is. If you want to mod and make more power easily then Mustang hands down. If you want a solid cruiser that's rare then RC-F.
The following users liked this post:
SoSlow (04-26-19)
Old 04-25-19, 03:53 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Tough Choices

Went thru the same dilemma when I pulled the trigger on my RCF. However, it was a new Shelby GT350 I was considering.

Cant beat the sound of a Mustang, but the ride quality is night and day! Not to mention not having 3 pedals to use!

My vote is obviously toward the RCF, but if it was a Shelby than it would be a tough decision. Come join the Club, Team Lexus RCF!

OOH-RAH !! 🇺🇸
Old 04-26-19, 03:10 AM
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I've owned 2 Cobra's and a supercharged Saleen in the past, so when I was in the market last year going through the decision making process I drove several Mustangs...including a new '18 GT (automatic and manual), and a 2016 Roush Stage 3. All of them were pretty impressive, the Roush though was, by far, the most fun to drive. I was looking at a few GT350's but never had the chance to drive one before I pulled the trigger on my RCF. The build quality from Ford is average at best, and there are certainly some reports of the newer Mustangs having a "tick" and other various issues. The newer Mustang, for all of it's improvements over past generations, will depreciate like the rest.

I have no idea how the RCF will fare from a financial standpoint, but keep in mind that all of it's competition that also had price tags in the $70-80k + range when new (M4, RS5, ATS-V, etc) are experiencing a similar depreciation curve. I am very confident, however, that it will prove to be a more reliable car in the long term than it's competition, and certainly moreso than anything Ford has ever slapped together. Build quality is far superior, and it is definitely a more unique vehicle. Performance wise, I know it's not the fastest car out there but in my personal opinion, it is the best combination of aesthetics, comfort, performance, and luxury in a single package.
The following users liked this post:
Brosillo (04-26-19)
Old 04-26-19, 03:45 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Default 46750

Very well put my man!
Indeed, the attention to detail Ford puts into their interior is horrible. Night and day difference! Personally, I prefer having the "choice" to drive a car in either Auto or Manual - the missing clutch is one less thing to go wrong if owned for many years to come! The RCF in Sport+ Manual Mode is definitely exhilarating to say the least. Coupled with the roar of an aftermarket exhaust, I've literally been told I was heard long before seen. Since making the decision to go w the F, every other car on the road now are Mustangs, Chargers, and Vettes. I'm sure each RCF member here can attest they've been asked multiple times "Hey, what is that car?" which puts one in a whole different league for sure!

I think you get the picture by now Brosillo.
Old 04-26-19, 04:53 AM
Ken34
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, your pricing for mileage seems odd on the rcf , you should be able to get a 2015 RC F with under 45k miles for a little more or under 40k. A 50k mileage one should be around 37k or so. I paid 39k for one with 36k miles. I was looking for like 2 months every single day, so the pricing is stuck in my head lol.

As for the mustang, it was on my list too, but I've experienced Ford build quality and I'm pretty confident as far as depreciation goes, the Lexus will hold up better than the mustang. If you just want cheap speed out of a very common car, then go mustang. But if you want something more luxurious, better build quality and should hold up better money wise, and that will turn heads, then go Lexus.... Although it's unfair to compare an Rc f to a gt, the Shelby 350 is more of a better comparison.... Maybe.
Old 04-26-19, 06:08 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Hmm. Sounds familiar....
Old 04-26-19, 06:08 AM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I just bought my RC-F Saturday and I have to say I was going through the same dilemma; but it was between a Scat Pack Charger and the RC-F. I've driven the car for about a week now and everywhere I go someone asks me a question about it. I realized I always knew about the F, but most people have not seen one because they are so rare. Meanwhile, I have seen 100's of chargers since Saturday, of which about half of them have been Scat Packs. I hate looking like everyone else so I am even happier with my purchase. Just in stock form, this car is QUICK...and I have two other 600+hp cars- it's not like i'm coming from a Prius lol.

The pricing is off on that RC-F - I agree with Ken. I paid $41K for a '15 with 26K miles on the clock and its certified. Black on black (i'm not a fan of all that red, but to each his/her own). I figure, based on year and mileage, I would put that around the low 30's than the mid to high 30's. It may not seem like a lot to some folks, but that at least a set of wheels difference (or quality exhaust)...
Old 04-26-19, 07:52 AM
AVIAT0R
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

2018 GT's have a tick issue that is causing early piston scoring. If you search online you will see owners getting their blocks replaced due to scoring in several cylinders. It is a fun car and sounds incredible especially with the valved performance exhaust in the 18+, but I would say look at getting 2017 if you choose the Mustang route.

I agree with what everyone is saying RC F is the more special and unique car. If you go the mustang route, is supercharging something that you might be interested in down the road? Lots of aftermarket support available for that! :P
Old 04-26-19, 08:43 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

I pretty much take vehicles apart for a living and let me tell you that there's a NIGHT AND DAY difference between the quality of parts/things you don't see (connectors, pins, clips, sound deadning material, etc) between any Ford and any Lexus vehicle. Something you can't explain and would really have to see for yourself.
And ever noticed that every mustang 3+ years old all look and feel old both inside and out?!?! Parts/quality doesn't hold up one bit, along with mustangs having a new model out every 3 years, leaving you stuck with the old, outdated model.
Lexus' don't have that problem. I get asked all the time "what year is your car?!" (Referring to my '12 ISF). When I tell them, they also reply with "wow, it looks like a 2018-2019!". Lol. Have gotten that probably a hundred times in the 4 years I've owned this car. RCF will be no different....we'll put together cars, trust me.

V.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vitveet:
Limelight (04-26-19), siredward (04-26-19)
Old 04-26-19, 10:50 AM
AVIAT0R
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
I pretty much take vehicles apart for a living and let me tell you that there's a NIGHT AND DAY difference between the quality of parts/things you don't see (connectors, pins, clips, sound deadning material, etc) between any Ford and any Lexus vehicle. Something you can't explain and would really have to see for yourself.
And ever noticed that every mustang 3+ years old all look and feel old both inside and out?!?! Parts/quality doesn't hold up one bit, along with mustangs having a new model out every 3 years, leaving you stuck with the old, outdated model.
Lexus' don't have that problem. I get asked all the time "what year is your car?!" (Referring to my '12 ISF). When I tell them, they also reply with "wow, it looks like a 2018-2019!". Lol. Have gotten that probably a hundred times in the 4 years I've owned this car. RCF will be no different....we'll put together cars, trust me.

V.
Agreed, Lexus for life!
Old 04-26-19, 11:18 AM
Brosillo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all! I really appreciated the input. One thing I didn't think about is the 2018+ getting 30hp more, that probably makes the 2015-17 worth less and will depreciate faster. And the answers about build quality are helpful because I've never owned another "newer" car besides my Lexus. (All others have been 90's cars; mazda, ford, chevy) So I may just not understand about how newer non-luxury vehicles age. I'm sure it would be frustrating to have a 5 year old vehicle (the mustang in this case) that could possibly already have worn leather spots and random creaks.

Also, about the pricing. Just looking up on Autotrader, this is what I'm seeing:

44xxx miles for $37,500
48xxx miles for $35,700 (interior not in best shape)
60xxx miles for $37,500
63xxx miles for $35,000
49xxx miles for $35,500
55xxx miles for $34,300 (curb rash and painted wheels)

So I don't think my estimates were too far off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Used RCF or Newer Mustang GT Premium