LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Metal shavings/chips in transmission pan + rattling noise when driving 20-30 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-19, 10:52 PM
joro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal shavings/chips in transmission pan + rattling noise when driving 20-30 MPH

Hi,

Just got a 2002 LX470, 154K miles, with a 5 day money back guarantee. Everything seems to be in great condition except for a rattling noise, likely from the transmission and only when speed is 20-30 MPH, presumably when the car is in certain gear. If I let go of the gas pedal or if I floor it, noise goes away. I had the 150K service done today and my mechanic took the following pictures from the transmission pan. The worry is that the magnet at the bottom, where the amount of chips/shavings is too much. Other than that, the car seems in great condition and is a lot of fun to drive. Single owner, presumably an elderly couple who took good care of it according to dealership, but you never know. Any opinions/guesses as to how long might the transmission last before having to replace it? Would you keep the car if you had the option to return it and that was the only problem? Thanks! George

Last edited by joro; 04-24-19 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-25-19, 08:10 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs down

Good on you to take it to a mechanic.

Personally, I'd return it...not sure of the price for a new or rebuilt transmission, but I'd expect $$$$$...lots of metal on the magnets.

Did your mechanic take a look at the fluid in the differentials and transfer case?

A Lexus dealer could let you know if the trans was serviced regularly...give the service department the VIN and they can print out any services done by a Lexus dealer, as well as any recommended services that were declined by the owner.

Let us know what you find.

Last edited by hankinid; 04-25-19 at 08:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
joro (04-25-19)
Old 04-25-19, 08:51 AM
joro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, hankinid, I'll call the local Lexus dealership where I believe the car was serviced and check (I did not buy it from there, it was traded in to another one). I bought the car for $8.9K, and CarFax confirmed single local owner (WA state). Otherwise the car looks like new, so I figured even if I fork the money for a new transmission, it is still a reasonable deal. There are few others on the market from that generation, typically have 3+ owners, at least as many miles and price starts from $15K. I had the $150K service done yesterday, so my mechanic checked the other fluids and said otherwise looks fine.
Old 04-25-19, 09:18 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by joro
Thanks, hankinid, I'll call the local Lexus dealership where I believe the car was serviced and check (I did not buy it from there, it was traded in to another one). I bought the car for $8.9K, and CarFax confirmed single local owner (WA state). Otherwise the car looks like new, so I figured even if I fork the money for a new transmission, it is still a reasonable deal. There are few others on the market from that generation, typically have 3+ owners, at least as many miles and price starts from $15K. I had the $150K service done yesterday, so my mechanic checked the other fluids and said otherwise looks fine.
Congratulations. The '01 I bought 10 years ago with 90K now has 190K with no surprises.

Lots more series 100 info here...Toyota 100 series info...

I know what you mean by searching for the perfect LX or Land Cruiser. Not too many imported, and when you find a good one you need to grab it.

Enjoy

Steve