ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Parking Sensor Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-19, 08:10 PM
dspcap
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parking Sensor Thread

So this past week, I noticed that my front sensor was acting all funny. Constant blinking red light. When I brought it into the stealership, they told me all the computer stuff checked out fine, but there was a rock chip in the sensor from the road. They want $700 to fix it. That really seems a bit excessive since they probably cost less than that for 8 new ones.

So, I called a local auto body shop and they'll do it for $495. I saw another post where another person did it, but I am not handy enough to take the entire bumper off and fix it. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Thanks all !!!!
Old 04-24-19, 09:06 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

The cost of the parking sensors (just the part) is a little under $250 each. I know that that price seems ridiculous, but auto manufacturers know that, when you need replacement parts, you don't have much choice, and there are huge markups for those replacement parts. There should be somewhere around 2 hours of labor to uninstall the bumper, replace the bad sensor, and reinstall the bumper.

So, the $700 quote from the dealer is the typical especially high charge that comes from Lexus dealers. Depending on the labor rates in your area, even the $495 cost from the body shop seems a bit high, but, at least, it is in the ballpark.
Old 04-24-19, 09:25 PM
dspcap
Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
The cost of the parking sensors (just the part) is a little under $250 each. I know that that price seems ridiculous, but auto manufacturers know that, when you need replacement parts, you don't have much choice, and there are huge markups for those replacement parts. There should be somewhere around 2 hours of labor to uninstall the bumper, replace the bad sensor, and reinstall the bumper.

So, the $700 quote from the dealer is the typical especially high charge that comes from Lexus dealers. Depending on the labor rates in your area, even the $495 cost from the body shop seems a bit high, but, at least, it is in the ballpark.
My local dealer said the part was $411 plus labor, getting us to $700. My local repair shop was a bit more reasonable. Any other suggestions on getting this fixed? At this point, I am going to hang a tennis ball from my garage ceiling and call it a day. I don't mind spending money to get it fixed, but $700 is just robbery. .
Old 04-25-19, 05:31 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

I had a parking sensor replaced about 2 1/2 years ago. I just checked the paperwork for that repair, and the price for the sensor was actually $257. It may be the case that the price for the part has gone up since that time, but I can't imagine that it has gone up all the way to the $411 that the Lexus dealer quoted you for the part. I suspect that, like with labor prices, the Lexus dealer is inflating its prices for parts, too.

I remember thinking, when I had the sensor replaced, that the MSRP for the park assist option on a new ES was around $500. Considering that the park assist feature consists of 8 sensors and assorted wiring harnesses, brackets, and other hardware, that would mean that the cost for replacing the entire system would likely be between $2500 and $3000 just for the parts. That really does say a lot about the markups for replacement parts.
Old 04-25-19, 05:47 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

I would also suggest that you check your insurance policy. Damage from a rock/stone should be covered by your comprehensive coverage. While it is not the case for all policies from all insurance companies, many comprehensive polices have no deductible. And comprehensive claims should not have any effect on your future premiums.
The following users liked this post:
xBROKER (05-06-19)
Old 04-25-19, 06:44 AM
dspcap
Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
I would also suggest that you check your insurance policy. Damage from a rock/stone should be covered by your comprehensive coverage. While it is not the case for all policies from all insurance companies, many comprehensive polices have no deductible. And comprehensive claims should not have any effect on your future premiums.
Thanks, I did talk to them yesterday and I can claim it, however, then there's the chance they'll raise my insurance. I already live in an area with high car insurance due to weather.
Old 04-25-19, 09:08 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Lesz is correct and being a comprehensive claim, most companies won't raise your premium. I once had a expensive fog light replaced this way and just recently had a friend with a AC condenser pierced by a flying rock on a Porsche Panamera that was covered - and that was not cheap either - without any effect on his premium. Confirm with your agent though.

Dave Mac
Old 04-25-19, 09:59 AM
dspcap
Driver

My agent is the one that suggested I not claim it. I think I will ask another agent (friend) of mine.
Old 04-25-19, 10:39 AM
ALL4SPL
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, so I had SORTA this same issue on my 17 ES, these sensors believe it or not are held in with "double sided tape". My front passenger one was falling into the area behind it causing the sensor to go crazy all the time, I turned the alert off and set off to fix it myself even though my car is still under regular and CPO warranty. So, to get to this sensor without taking off the entire front bumper, there are 4 10mm bolts/screws holding up some plastic panel under each side of the front of the car, simple enough remove them and then you can pry the plastic shield out of the way. The sensor itself has a small two wire clip you will have to remove, then there's the wings clip (as I call it) Its a white plastic piece that has a hole in the center and is what the double sided tape sticks to in order to hold the sensor in place. After I removed the two wire connector I pulled out my sensor, the wing clip snaps onto the sensor in the same fashion the wire plug does just in a larger format. So I unclipped the wing holder, cleaned off the old double sided tape, then applied 3M emblem double sided tape to it, cleaned the inside of the bumper cover with alcohol, and then test fit it a couple times before pulling off the backing and finally re-attaching the sensor to the bumper. Clipped in the wire harness, bolted those 4 bolts back in after slipping the plastic cover back into place and done.

I did this about 2 months ago and not a single issue, why I say this is you can order a new sensor yourself and do this yourself, its not rocket science nor does it take a lot of tools.
Old 04-25-19, 10:49 AM
dspcap
Driver

Originally Posted by ALL4SPL
Ok, so I had SORTA this same issue on my 17 ES, these sensors believe it or not are held in with "double sided tape". My front passenger one was falling into the area behind it causing the sensor to go crazy all the time, I turned the alert off and set off to fix it myself even though my car is still under regular and CPO warranty. So, to get to this sensor without taking off the entire front bumper, there are 4 10mm bolts/screws holding up some plastic panel under each side of the front of the car, simple enough remove them and then you can pry the plastic shield out of the way. The sensor itself has a small two wire clip you will have to remove, then there's the wings clip (as I call it) Its a white plastic piece that has a hole in the center and is what the double sided tape sticks to in order to hold the sensor in place. After I removed the two wire connector I pulled out my sensor, the wing clip snaps onto the sensor in the same fashion the wire plug does just in a larger format. So I unclipped the wing holder, cleaned off the old double sided tape, then applied 3M emblem double sided tape to it, cleaned the inside of the bumper cover with alcohol, and then test fit it a couple times before pulling off the backing and finally re-attaching the sensor to the bumper. Clipped in the wire harness, bolted those 4 bolts back in after slipping the plastic cover back into place and done.

I did this about 2 months ago and not a single issue, why I say this is you can order a new sensor yourself and do this yourself, its not rocket science nor does it take a lot of tools.
Hey there, so thanks for this post. Was your sensor that was falling in, was it one of the black ones from the center part of the bumper or the side ones that are painted?

I have been told that if they are new, they have to be programmed. But not having to take the entire bumper off makes this a bit more interesting.
Old 04-25-19, 10:57 AM
dspcap
Driver

The black grill is behind the bumper, how can that come off without taking the entire bumper off?
Old 04-25-19, 11:10 AM
ALL4SPL
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My sensor was one of the outter bumper ones, NOT the grill ones.
Old 05-05-19, 05:31 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

I've had better pricing from Toyota service dept. with some items that are interchangeable. Worth a call and they have the training and computers to do it right.
Old 05-05-19, 06:58 PM
dspcap
Driver

Originally Posted by swfla
I've had better pricing from Toyota service dept. with some items that are interchangeable. Worth a call and they have the training and computers to do it right.
Thanks.. that is a really good idea. For oil changes, I found that Toyota was actually $5.00 more than Lexus and they do less. But definitely worth a shot. Right now, I have it turned off and using a tennis ball in my garage. Frustating, but don't want to spend all that money on a sensor right now.
Old 05-06-19, 12:59 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

dspcap... don't sell yourself short on possibly fixing it yourself... not exactly the same situation, but my 35 year son has a Dodge Durango Citadel... one of his headlights went out.. he called the dealership and they told him it would be around 650 bucks to replace it.. part of the reason for the inflated cost was they said they would have to remove the front bumper to get to it... my son ( who is by no means an auto mechanic ) googled it.. found a video on you tube and then did it himself. Only expense was the cost of the head light ( which was not cheap )... so you might want to see if looking at a youtube video on replacing the sensor will give you an idea if you're up to the task. Just something to think about.

Roland

Quick Reply: Parking Sensor Thread