GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Can't get comfortable in driver seat!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-19, 01:43 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Can't get comfortable in driver seat!

I have a 2014 GS 350 AWD. Has the cold weather package but not the Luxury or F Sport package which I learned upgraded the driver seat after I purchased my car! Really frustrating.

I have tried adjusting every setting and still can't get comfortable. The outside of my left knee rubs on the door and gets uncomfortable, the right knee is better but still gets uncomfortable after longer drives.

I can't seem to get the height and back settings to my liking either. I know this issue is going to be drastically different per person, but have any of you fellow GS owners had issues with your seat? What was your solution?

I drove my buddies 05 BMW 330CI convertible for a week and I found my perfect setting within 30 seconds. I get in my wife's 04 Prius and am comfortable with one or two adjustments. Am I going crazy here!?

I have been looking online at junk yards and insurance cars that might have the driver seat available from an F Sport or Luxury package but I have the Flaxen color seats which are not the normal tan seats.

Am I just crazy and way too picky or have others experienced this??

Also, I'm coming from a 2008 Lexus ISF and never had any issues with that driver seat. I assumed the GS seat would be much more comfortable. I wish there was a company or way to test drive a car for a week or so before purchasing the vehicle.

Last edited by leisinjp; 04-23-19 at 06:27 AM. Reason: added info
Old 04-22-19, 01:53 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

The standard seats aren't that great in my opinion. The seats in my previous '11 IS and '01 GS were much more comfortable/supple/supportive for some reason compared to the seats in my current '13 GS AWD. I'm able to adjust the seat/seating position to my liking but it takes some time to get it right for each person.

It will take some time but you'll find the right combination of adjustments to make it work.
Old 04-22-19, 02:03 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Weber Bros Auto in Pennsylvania has an F-Sport GS driver seat in flaxen. They quoted me $400 for the seat if picked up. I considered it until I found all the seats from the lux model in Flaxen for $1350 shipped to my door.
Old 04-22-19, 02:38 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AJLex19
The standard seats aren't that great in my opinion. The seats in my previous '11 IS and '01 GS were much more comfortable/supple/supportive for some reason compared to the seats in my current '13 GS AWD. I'm able to adjust the seat/seating position to my liking but it takes some time to get it right for each person.

It will take some time but you'll find the right combination of adjustments to make it work.

I agree, I used to have a 2004 and 2008 GS and they both seemed to be more comfortable. I wish we could add padding to the seats!

Originally Posted by peasodos
Weber Bros Auto in Pennsylvania has an F-Sport GS driver seat in flaxen. They quoted me $400 for the seat if picked up. I considered it until I found all the seats from the lux model in Flaxen for $1350 shipped to my door.

Thanks for the info! I haven't sat in a F Sport or Tech package GS. Do you think the F Sport is better than the Tech seat?
Old 04-22-19, 03:04 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I assume by "tech" seat you mean the Luxury seat/package.

The Luxury seat will be better than an F Sport, in that the F Sport seat is 16 way adjustable and the Luxury seat is 18 and is upgraded leather (semi-analine).
Old 04-22-19, 03:08 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDR76
I assume by "tech" seat you mean the Luxury seat/package.

The Luxury seat will be better than an F Sport, in that the F Sport seat is 16 way adjustable and the Luxury seat is 18 and is upgraded leather (semi-analine).
Yes! I mean luxury, not tech.

Ok, so luxury has two more adjustments and has softer leather. Do you happen to know if the actual seat is made more comfortable or has more padding than the F Sport seats?
Old 04-22-19, 03:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by leisinjp
Yes! I mean luxury, not tech.

Ok, so luxury has two more adjustments and has softer leather. Do you happen to know if the actual seat is made more comfortable or has more padding than the F Sport seats?
I do not believe there is more padding. Just more adjustments.
Old 04-22-19, 07:08 PM
Ecloebl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are tall enough, sit in the back seat.
Old 04-22-19, 08:06 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

The Luxury 18 way seats in my 2013 are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. I could go to sleep in them so you might like them.
Old 04-22-19, 08:16 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDR76
I do not believe there is more padding. Just more adjustments.
Ok, thanks.

Originally Posted by thallium
The Luxury 18 way seats in my 2013 are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. I could go to sleep in them so you might like them.
Good to know, one of the guys who posted earlier said there are some F Sport seats available. Now I need to see if it's worth waiting for the Luxury seats over the F Sport seat.
Old 04-23-19, 04:03 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 310 Likes on 211 Posts

Ok, thanks.
Good to know, one of the guys who posted earlier said there are some F Sport seats available. Now I need to see if it's worth waiting for the Luxury seats over the F Sport seat.
I'm totally confused because the models are labelled differently in my market - however I can add that I have the F Sport. The seats are 16? way and firm. They are comfortable but I could do with another centimetre of 'sink' when I sit down. The amount of configurability makes up for the firm undercarriage, it is the sports model after all.

I'm sure the 'sports luxury' model(sorry it's called something different here) would have softer seats which are made from semi analine leather. That said I've never sat in one.

You'll want to head to a dealer that ideally has more than one in stock to compare.
Old 04-23-19, 06:27 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cwang
I'm totally confused because the models are labelled differently in my market - however I can add that I have the F Sport. The seats are 16? way and firm. They are comfortable but I could do with another centimetre of 'sink' when I sit down. The amount of configurability makes up for the firm undercarriage, it is the sports model after all.

I'm sure the 'sports luxury' model(sorry it's called something different here) would have softer seats which are made from semi analine leather. That said I've never sat in one.

You'll want to head to a dealer that ideally has more than one in stock to compare.
From what I have read, the leather itself is softer. But nothing states if the actual seat or padding in the seat is more substantial because it is the Luxury model seat. I will have to keep my eyes open at my local dealerships but they don't get too many 13-15 GS's in.
Old 04-23-19, 07:32 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 310 Likes on 211 Posts

From what I have read, the leather itself is softer. But nothing states if the actual seat or padding in the seat is more substantial because it is the Luxury model seat. I will have to keep my eyes open at my local dealerships but they don't get too many 13-15 GS's in.
The actual seat backs and bottoms (the foam, not the covers) have different part numbers between the luxury, f sport and sports luxury. Take from that what you will!
Old 04-23-19, 08:03 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cwang
The actual seat backs and bottoms (the foam, not the covers) have different part numbers between the luxury, f sport and sports luxury. Take from that what you will!
That is good info to know! Now just have to figure out if there is a difference in the padding. If I'm able to find one and sit in it I will report back.
Old 04-23-19, 08:13 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

That is good info to know! Now just have to figure out if there is a difference in the padding. If I'm able to find one and sit in it I will report back.
When I test drove my '13, I drove a Premium, Lux and an F-Sport version. By far, the Lux had the most comfortable seats (it could be the padding, the leather quality, the additional adjustments, the headrests).

I actually considering doing something similar to @peasodos by replacing the driver/passenger seats with Lux seats but the price is too steep for my budget. And getting great used condition Lux seats in my color (Flaxen) is tough as it is!
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (04-23-19)

Quick Reply: Can't get comfortable in driver seat!