RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

High speed vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-19, 12:43 PM
zdenog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High speed vibration

Hello Everybody,

I would like to ask if anybody has a same experience. I have bought brand new Lexus 450h luxury edition in Lexus Munich Germany. The car had a 5 miles on the clock. Original 20" Lexus wheels with summer tires installed. During my drive home I was feeling light vibration always when I reached 80-85 mph on the freeway. So when I got home I called dealer and he could not believe. He said that I should keep track this issue. I said for myself this has to be a wheel balance so I replace whole set for winter (need them anyway) and will let my original wheels balanced in spring. This could solve vibration problem I thought.

So I have bought brand new OEM 20" lexus winter sets (wheels+tires). Lexus dealer replaced the wheels for me. 20" Summer wheels took away and Winter 20" wheels installed on the car. And what a surprise. I hit the freeway and reached 80 mph and felt vibration as well with these brand new winter wheel set.

Would it be possible that Original wheels installed on Brand new car and also OEM winter wheels set are both out of balance? Both set would start a vibration at the same speed? It is not likely, right?

Now I have a original Summer wheels back on car and still can feel vibration. Not in steering wheel but the car body. Dealer told me that didnt feel any vibration during test drive.

Old 04-21-19, 07:11 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

You need to take a dealer rep with you on a test drive. Then, when you feel the vibration, you can point it out to him.
Old 04-21-19, 08:51 PM
javapro
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I also have the same problem on my 2018 RX 450h - see this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er-80-mph.html. I thought it was just the way Bridgestone Ecopia tires behave but reading zdenog's posts it seems like it's not tire related. May be it's related to the way the power split device works since I didn't have vibrations on my previous 2016 RX 350 (non-hybrid). Does anyone else own a 4th generation RX 450h that doesn't have any vibrations when driven over 80 mph?
Old 04-21-19, 09:34 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by javapro
I also have the same problem on my 2018 RX 450h - see this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er-80-mph.html. I thought it was just the way Bridgestone Ecopia tires behave but reading zdenog's posts it seems like it's not tire related. May be it's related to the way the power split device works since I didn't have vibrations on my previous 2016 RX 350 (non-hybrid). Does anyone else own a 4th generation RX 450h that doesn't have any vibrations when driven over 80 mph?
I have a 2016 RX450H F-Sport I bought used from a private party last year on Dec. 22. I haven't had any vibrations issues. In the first week I got it, I had to rush somewhere and got to speeds of up to 100mph. 2 days ago, I replaced the OEM tires and went on the freeway past 80 and also didn't notice anything odd like vibrations. Are the vibrations felt at the seat or steering wheel?
Old 04-22-19, 05:19 AM
javapro
Driver

Originally Posted by viperr
I have a 2016 RX450H F-Sport I bought used from a private party last year on Dec. 22. I haven't had any vibrations issues. In the first week I got it, I had to rush somewhere and got to speeds of up to 100mph. 2 days ago, I replaced the OEM tires and went on the freeway past 80 and also didn't notice anything odd like vibrations. Are the vibrations felt at the seat or steering wheel?
Just like the OP I feel them at the gas paddle but as someone mentioned in my original thread balancing issues sometimes are not felt through the wheel when the car has electric steering.
Old 04-23-19, 02:57 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Just like the OP I feel them at the gas paddle but as someone mentioned in my original thread balancing issues sometimes are not felt through the wheel when the car has electric steering.
That is not true. If it were, you wouldn't be able to feel anything through the wheel. But you can, on Lexus EPS and other EPS systems.

Since OP is in Germany - does the vibration go away if you get to say 90? 100? Or beyond? Or does it just continue to get worse? If it only gets worse, I bet you have a faulty half shaft. I'm not sure why but I've seen this more and more in the last 10 years across multiple manufacturers.
Old 04-23-19, 05:04 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by N4TECguy
That is not true. If it were, you wouldn't be able to feel anything through the wheel. But you can, on Lexus EPS and other EPS systems.

Since OP is in Germany - does the vibration go away if you get to say 90? 100? Or beyond? Or does it just continue to get worse? If it only gets worse, I bet you have a faulty half shaft. I'm not sure why but I've seen this more and more in the last 10 years across multiple manufacturers.
I don’t know...the RX steering is pretty devoid of feeling with little to no road feedback.
Old 04-23-19, 06:10 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
I don’t know...the RX steering is pretty devoid of feeling with little to no road feedback.
But there are sport sedans with good feedback and EPS, so I think the feel is what's designed in by the engineers.
Old 04-23-19, 06:22 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
But there are sport sedans with good feedback and EPS, so I think the feel is what's designed in by the engineers.
Maybe the issue is not a front tire? If one of the rear tires/rims has an issue would you expect to feel vibration through the steering wheel or the floor pan/pedal/seat?

Last edited by PWMDMD; 04-23-19 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-23-19, 07:22 AM
javapro
Driver

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Maybe the issue is not a front tire? If one of the rear tires/rims has an issue would you expect to feel vibration through the steering wheel or the floor pan/pedal/seat?
Well, all my four wheels were road forced balanced by the dealer and the vibration is still there.
Old 04-23-19, 07:39 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Well, all my four wheels were road forced balanced by the dealer and the vibration is still there.
So let's say your vibration is at 80mph, which translates to 2300rpm (or whatever rpm it actually is - I have a 3RX so I don't know). So then let's say instead of driving in the top gear, you artificially keep it in 6th or 7th, and drive whatever speed is required to keep at 2300rpm. Does the vibration also exist at these other speeds? I'm trying to gather whether it might be engine rpm related, which might point to engine mounts or some other engine issue (harmonic balancer maybe? Does the 2GR even have one?).

Slightly off topic but food for thought:
I have a similar issue on my 3RX (75+ mph vibration, all 4 tires new and road force balanced) so I was playing with this theory, but ran out of time to experiment. My vibration seems to get better/worse depending on load, and I have had a torn CV boot before. The shop said the CV joint was fine, but I suspect it is slightly out of spec and causes my vibration under heavy load. Prior to owning the RX I had an Accord and was active in those forums. I saw several people who had vibrations go away after replacing axles. That's why I'm pushing the axle theory, especially since it seems we've all kind of ruled out balancing.
Old 04-24-19, 05:32 AM
javapro
Driver

So let's say your vibration is at 80mph, which translates to 2300rpm (or whatever rpm it actually is - I have a 3RX so I don't know). So then let's say instead of driving in the top gear, you artificially keep it in 6th or 7th, and drive whatever speed is required to keep at 2300rpm. Does the vibration also exist at these other speeds? I'm trying to gather whether it might be engine rpm related, which might point to engine mounts or some other engine issue (harmonic balancer maybe? Does the 2GR even have one?).

Slightly off topic but food for thought:
I have a similar issue on my 3RX (75+ mph vibration, all 4 tires new and road force balanced) so I was playing with this theory, but ran out of time to experiment. My vibration seems to get better/worse depending on load, and I have had a torn CV boot before. The shop said the CV joint was fine, but I suspect it is slightly out of spec and causes my vibration under heavy load. Prior to owning the RX I had an Accord and was active in those forums. I saw several people who had vibrations go away after replacing axles. That's why I'm pushing the axle theory, especially since it seems we've all kind of ruled out balancing.
Bad axles on two brand new cars purchased a year apart?
Old 04-24-19, 07:11 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Bad axles on two brand new cars purchased a year apart?
You make it sound like two brand new cars couldn't possibly have the same issue...
Old 04-25-19, 07:09 AM
javapro
Driver

You make it sound like two brand new cars couldn't possibly have the same issue...
Anything is possible but I am hoping that bad axles is not something that two brand new Lexuses would have.
Old 03-18-21, 07:06 PM
ARISTO 161
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vibration still happening

Hey guys,
Any outcome with your guys' vibration on the 450h?

I just started noticing this issue. I had my dad drive the car for a year, and now that I got it back, I get a nasty vibration at 80 and 80+
I rebalanced all 4 wheels, but still, vibration is there, when things "align" it's bad, like an unbalanced wheel, but the whole car shakes. I went all out and approached 120mph, but had to let go right before because I felt the car would fall apart. It's pretty bad.

It's still on a lease. Maybe this is a common issue, which is what I'm trying to see by searching around.

Thanks fam.

Quick Reply: High speed vibration