SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 roof hardtop won’t close

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-19, 10:10 AM
Jksc
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SC430 roof hardtop won’t close

Hi I have a 2002 SC430, my top opens up fine but when I close it, it closes halfway, stops then I push the button again and the package tray closes and the top proceeds to close completely. After this the top won’t open at all unless I reset the battery. Any suggestions ??
Old 04-15-19, 10:12 AM
Jksc
Driver School Candidate

Default SC430 roof won’t close

Hi I have a 2002 SC430, my top opens up fine but when I close it, it closes halfway, stops then I push the button again and the package tray closes and the top proceeds to close completely. After this the top won’t open at all unless I reset the battery. Any suggestions ??
Old 04-15-19, 11:14 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey,

Moved this thread from Car Chat to here... then merged with the other thread on the same subject.
Old 04-15-19, 11:21 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

To be clear, you need to push and hold down the button during the entire cycle until it completes with the door window roll up and audio adjustment. Releasing the button interrupts the cycle and may cause problems.

There are roughly 25 sensors and switches which must be synchronized for the roof to operate correctly. When an error(s) occur they are captured during the cycle and can be read by Techstream. Unfortunately they are not stored.
Old 04-15-19, 11:28 AM
Jksc
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I press and hold the button but once it freezes at the halfway point, the only way to get it to finish is by releasing the button and holding it down again. I’m assuming it has something to do with the package tray? I was going to try to use a dealer level scanner to pull a code while it fails, will that work or is techstream the only way
Old 04-15-19, 11:28 AM
VVTiBob

Go to this thread, post #26 . Examine the diagram and read the PDF https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ttently-2.html
Old 04-15-19, 11:32 AM
VVTiBob

Lexus Techstream is probably your only option as the “B” DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) are proprietary. But you can try. As mentioned sliding roof DTCs are not stored past a shutdown so they need to be read during the failure.
Old 04-15-19, 11:37 AM
VVTiBob

We’ve had members who have carefully inspected their roof mechanisms and found foreign debris at / in the area of switches and clearing it our resolved the issue. We’ve also had just as many members have to replace a worn out switch or sensor. There are more than 50 pages in the service manual covering the roof.

your case sounds like a switch failure, once we get a code we’re pretty good at solutions.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 04-15-19 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-15-19, 12:38 PM
Jksc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
We’ve had members who have carefully inspected their roof mechanisms and found foreign debris at / in the area of switches and clearing it our resolved the issue. We’ve also had just as many had to replace a worn out switch or sensor. There are more than 50 pages in the service manual covering the roof.

your case sounds like a switch failure, once we get a code we’re pretty good at solutions.
ok thank you. I’ll get my hands on the techstream and post when I have a code
Old 04-15-19, 01:30 PM
VVTiBob

This PDF should help you isolate once you get a DTC ....https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...uble-codes.pdf
The following users liked this post:
GmanSC (04-15-19)
Old 04-15-19, 01:51 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

Hey JKSC,

Getting the codes is really the only way to diagnose a Convertible Top problem.

Based on your description it sounds like your top stops at step 5 on the PDF Bob shared.

It could be a bad/dirty limit switch, or a weak motor.

The motors have to run at the same speed for the top to work and one of your may be running a little slower than the other one.

Looking through the PDF, you can see why the codes are so vital.
Old 04-18-19, 11:07 AM
Jksc
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys,
so I finally got techstream and I did a scan. I got code B2524 which looks like roof position switch No.2. So I’m assuming the next step would be to order this switch and replace it. Does anyone know where it’s located and how to replace.
Thanks for the help!
Old 04-18-19, 11:54 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Unfortunately I don't know too much about the limit switches. Before you do anything, I would recommend you take out the trunk carpet pieces and look over your hinge. Inspect it closely and see if you can see any thing out of the ordinary. Possibly dust, dirt, scraps of paper in the hinge. Then see if you can see anything that look damaged.

If you don't see anything, then you can buy the limit switch and see if you can find the part on the hinge. Based on the drawings you can get a general idea of where it is. This of course is an expensive way of troubleshooting the problem, but it is still cheaper than taking it to the dealer.

You can get a general idea by looking at this list of parts of the SC hinge and then comparing it to this picture of an actual hinge.

Please report back if you find anything
https://parts.keyeslexus.com/v-2004-...onvertible-top

Old 04-18-19, 11:56 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

I just had a thought....

The last two people that had limit switch problems, the limit switch was in the front of the car. Up by the visor. I did not look up the code you gave, but maybe it is that limit switch.

You would want to look at it for debris also...
Old 04-18-19, 12:53 PM
VVTiBob

Back to the diagram in post #26 this thread....https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ttently-2.html

Quick Reply: SC430 roof hardtop won’t close