IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lifetime Transmission Fluid What's your highest mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 09:39 AM
fxturbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lifetime Transmission Fluid What's your highest mileage

if you hadn't changed your transmission fluid what's your current highest mileage. Thanks
Old 04-10-19, 12:13 PM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Plan on forcing Lexus to change it at 100K
Old 04-10-19, 03:13 PM
fxturbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssworks
plan on forcing lexus to change it at 100k
how ?????????????????
Old 04-10-19, 10:50 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by fxturbo
how ?????????????????
Just tell them you want one. If they say it's not needed, just insist that you want it done.
Old 04-11-19, 04:44 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
Just tell them you want one. If they say it's not needed, just insist that you want it done.
Same issue with me. Lexus wont TOUCH it unless there is a clear problem with it.
Old 04-11-19, 08:08 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by JNP1227
Same issue with me. Lexus wont TOUCH it unless there is a clear problem with it.

That’s because they want your tranny to blow so you have to buy a new one or get a new car. I did my flush at 55,000km that’s like maybe 35k miles and they told me same thing, it’s not necessary till 98,000km, but I told them to shut up and do it. Dealer here charges 180$ tax inc for the drain n full, u could find an independent Toyota mechanic to do it for half that.
Auto transmissions are generally the weak point of cars , I figure a little drain n refill here and there is a cheap assurance.
Old 04-11-19, 12:07 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Indeed, we often forget they're there to be of service to US. (unlike some manufacturer dealers)

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
That’s because they want your tranny to blow so you have to buy a new one or get a new car. ...
I do not believe that's the case but I like the enthusiasm. I too am pro fluid change; however, they wouldn't operate on that motive in that regard.

...Some do however make things near impossible to DIY so you're encouraged to pay dealer (BMW).
Old 04-11-19, 12:09 PM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Exactly what I will do. I asked about it at my 60K service and was told its not necessary at this mileage but if you need it done they can do it.
Old 04-11-19, 12:13 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Indeed, we often forget they're there to be of service to US. (unlike some manufacturer dealers)

I do not believe that's the case but I like the enthusiasm. I too am pro fluid change; however, they wouldn't operate on that motive in that regard.

...Some do however make things near impossible to DIY so you're encouraged to pay dealer (BMW).
if it was really a lifetime fluid that requires no service it wouldn’t only have a warranty until 110,000km... manufacturers do not want a car to last 10-20 years like the old days. If it was a tranny that could last that long with no service the warranty would be a lot longer than that. Every piece of the car has an engineered service life. They are literally built to break.
Old 04-11-19, 03:05 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

I changed the ATF WS fluid (same fluid as in your 3IS) in my 2015 CT200h F Sport at around 42k miles. This is how it looked.

FWIW

Old 04-11-19, 03:24 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by E46CT
I changed the ATF WS fluid (same fluid as in your 3IS) in my 2015 CT200h F Sport at around 42k miles. This is how it looked.

FWIW

looks really bad. Even worse than my fluid looked at around the same mileage. I know looks don’t objectively mean anything but I think you’d be hard pressed to find a mechanic that would tell you that your fluid looks good. Did you change it yourself??
Old 04-12-19, 07:16 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Appearance of the fluid doesn't mean a thing. It would be interesting to see some sent out for testing at different intervals. For what it's worth, I ran my 2IS to about 165k miles without ever touching it and didn't have a single issue. It's not the same transmission, but the same fluid seemed to do just fine.
Old 04-12-19, 07:39 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
Appearance of the fluid doesn't mean a thing. It would be interesting to see some sent out for testing at different intervals. For what it's worth, I ran my 2IS to about 165k miles without ever touching it and didn't have a single issue. It's not the same transmission, but the same fluid seemed to do just fine.
Here is a Black Lab Oil Analsys of TOYOTA WS fluid being analyzed with 70k mileage. There report says there is a very high level of metals, insoluables are high, oxidation of oil due to heat also occurring...
BLACK LABS RECOMMENDS THE FLUID BE CHANGED EVERY 40K MILES.

https://priuschat.com/threads/2010-t....128673/page-2

i don’t get how with stuff like this available online, people still just refuse to accept the fluid is garbage, and that changing it every 40k miles or so is BETTER FOR YOUR TRANSMISSION.... I just don’t get, such a cheap, simple assurance every few years to get it done and people still argue it’s “lifetime” fluid. Hopefully a report from Black Lab Oil Analysis proving the fluid is toast at 70k changes some minds, but not likely.
The following 5 users liked this post by NickCaesar:
davyjordi (07-13-22), GNS (04-23-19), Jbreezie (04-18-19), ShrinkDoc (09-11-21), Solara350 (04-12-19)
Old 04-12-19, 08:30 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,501 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
Here is a Black Lab Oil Analsys of TOYOTA WS fluid being analyzed with 70k mileage. There report says there is a very high level of metals, insoluables are high, oxidation of oil due to heat also occurring...
BLACK LABS RECOMMENDS THE FLUID BE CHANGED EVERY 40K MILES.

https://priuschat.com/threads/2010-t....128673/page-2

i don’t get how with stuff like this available online, people still just refuse to accept the fluid is garbage, and that changing it every 40k miles or so is BETTER FOR YOUR TRANSMISSION.... I just don’t get, such a cheap, simple assurance every few years to get it done and people still argue it’s “lifetime” fluid. Hopefully a report from Black Lab Oil Analysis proving the fluid is toast at 70k changes some minds, but not likely.
Did you account for this post in that thread?

I cant think of any wear parts that are aluminum. So that must be from the manufacturing process. Imagine all that metal being sloshed around by those motor armatures and pumped through the bearings. I think I would not go more than 20k on a new Prius without changing the transaxle fluid.
Old 04-12-19, 08:44 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Appearance alone isn't the end-all-be-all. But Toyota isn't exactly installing used dark fluid in brand new cars at the factory. Point is new fluid is better than old.

Oil shears, HTHS ability goes down, viscosity at temp goes down. Oil doesn't perform as good the more time and wear its subjected to.

Plenty of cars out there from all makes (Ford, BMW, Mazda etc) all with stories of original fluid in XXXXXX mile transmission and all is "fine."

Problem is "fine" is subjective. Some make it out of the woods with new fluid, some don't Some drive hard, some don't. Since there's so much variation in results, it's best, if you're an enthusiast, to just change the oil. particularly if your car is newer. If you have the option to change the oil now, take it.

and yes did it myself on my CT.

Quick Reply: Lifetime Transmission Fluid What's your highest mileage