IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Puddle lights won't come on anymore

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 07:05 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Puddle lights won't come on anymore

Hey guys, noticed lately that the mirror puddle lights don't come on when I approach or unlock the car anymore. Not aware of the puddle lights being part of any particular settings in the car.

I did replace them with PrecisionLEDs this past fall, but I haven't had time (and it's still too cold out) to pull the mirrors apart and check them out. They worked up until last month when I started to notice.

Anybody experience both sides going out at the same time before? Thoughts?
Old 04-02-19, 07:47 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
Hey guys, noticed lately that the mirror puddle lights don't come on when I approach or unlock the car anymore. Not aware of the puddle lights being part of any particular settings in the car.

I did replace them with PrecisionLEDs this past fall, but I haven't had time (and it's still too cold out) to pull the mirrors apart and check them out. They worked up until last month when I started to notice.

do u drive an RX or IS?
Old 04-02-19, 08:12 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
do u drive an RX or IS?
18 IS350 listed in my signature. My username is obviously ancient...
Old 04-02-19, 08:24 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330

Hmmm, I’ve been running some cheapy LEDs in there that aren’t even water resistant. I haven’t had a problem in about a year. It is odd that both bulbs stopped working, could be they both failed due to the weather?
Old 04-02-19, 08:38 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

I thought the illuminated entry lights react to the ambient light sensor, ie., if it is
dark out when you approach they come on but if it is light out they don't. Perhaps
now that the days are longer you are seeing more daylight than puddle light?
Old 04-02-19, 09:05 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Flash5
Hmmm, I’ve been running some cheapy LEDs in there that aren’t even water resistant. I haven’t had a problem in about a year. It is odd that both bulbs stopped working, could be they both failed due to the weather?
Yeah that's why I'm curious both sides. I still have the original incandescent bulbs so I'll try them out when I can.
Originally Posted by mcomer
I thought the illuminated entry lights react to the ambient light sensor, ie., if it is
dark out when you approach they come on but if it is light out they don't. Perhaps
now that the days are longer you are seeing more daylight than puddle light?
I'm noticing this when it's nighttime out. I do a lot of night driving.
The following users liked this post:
Bp350 (05-11-19)
Old 04-25-19, 05:57 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Haven't had a chance to pull apart my mirrors yet, but noticed both my maps lights are out too now. Did a couple of tests and confirmed that the bulbs are bad - I'm guessing the bulbs for the mirror puddle lights are bad too. Weird how it's gone in pairs. Will be emailing PrecisionLED for a warranty claim soon.
Old 04-25-19, 05:24 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

This is a dealer only programmable option. So it can be turned on/off. MAYBE it needs to be reprogrammed.
No idea why or how a setting like that would revert but just throwing it out there. Maybe if the ECU was reset it would loose the setting? Maybe that's gibberish. Worth checking out.
Old 04-26-19, 12:49 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HOMER350
This is a dealer only programmable option. So it can be turned on/off. MAYBE it needs to be reprogrammed.
No idea why or how a setting like that would revert but just throwing it out there. Maybe if the ECU was reset it would loose the setting? Maybe that's gibberish. Worth checking out.
I highly doubt this is the case. It most likely is the bulbs, but if he replaces the bulbs and they still don't work, then I would start worrying about other possibilities.
Old 04-26-19, 06:38 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

I highly doubt this is the case. It most likely is the bulbs, but if he replaces the bulbs and they still don't work, then I would start worrying about other possibilities.
I'm going to put the stock bulbs back in for a bit and see how that goes.
The following users liked this post:
Flash5 (04-26-19)
Old 05-09-19, 06:43 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I wanted to check myself on my 2018 IS, but I don't recall seeing my puddle lights turn on when I approach the car, since I bought the car. I read in the owner's manual about the"outer foot lights" and it confirms what you wrote that this only is able to be programmed by a dealer. I'm actually pretty surprised why this isn't a setting you can just do from the customization screen...

Does anyone know what the dealer does to turn this feature on/off?
Old 05-10-19, 02:56 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by unioncorps
I wanted to check myself on my 2018 IS, but I don't recall seeing my puddle lights turn on when I approach the car, since I bought the car. I read in the owner's manual about the"outer foot lights" and it confirms what you wrote that this only is able to be programmed by a dealer. I'm actually pretty surprised why this isn't a setting you can just do from the customization screen...

Does anyone know what the dealer does to turn this feature on/off?
Hmm my 2018 the puddle lights and interior lights turn on when I approach the car and that wasn’t something I had to get the dealer to program.
Old 05-10-19, 03:26 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,573 Posts

The mirrors are a very intricate fit so only thing i can think of is if the mirrors werent put back together perfectly, then water could've gotten in. Also some of the cheap 194 bulbs out there don't really fit well so they could've jiggled out. Check the conditions of the bulbs. if you still can't tell, take a multimeter to the socket and open the door see if you get a reading
Old 05-10-19, 07:30 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Hmm my 2018 the puddle lights and interior lights turn on when I approach the car and that wasn’t something I had to get the dealer to program.
Interesting, I'm pretty sure mine don't turn on when I approach... I tried finding a setting in the customization menu but couldn't find anything.
Old 05-10-19, 11:21 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by unioncorps
Interesting, I'm pretty sure mine don't turn on when I approach... I tried finding a setting in the customization menu but couldn't find anything.
That’s weird as that’s supposed to be a standard thing. You said you read in the manual that it’s programmed by the dealer?

Quick Reply: Puddle lights won't come on anymore