LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone removed their air compressor or air lines after coilover swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-19, 07:44 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Anyone removed their air compressor or air lines after coilover swap?

Anyone able to remove any lights that comes after removing the air suspension also?
Old 03-25-19, 12:42 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

from what I gather, if you leave the height sensors in place you shouldn't get any warning signs

Most people leave the lines and compressor in place
Old 03-25-19, 12:58 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

We would need to pull the fuse or plug the lines so the compressor doesn’t run also? I don’t ever plan on using air ride once they are removed.

I do want to install a second battery near the air compressor area. I know a member on here had install an optima battery in that location in the engine bay.

My other option is installing the second battery on the driver side in the trunk for my dash cameras and pending exhaust cutoff controls.
Old 03-25-19, 09:58 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

most don't pull the fuse, I try to ask everyone who talks about doing the swap, and very few pull the fuse or remove the compressor

From what I gather so far, just leaving the height sensors in place will avoid warning lights, but I haven't done my swap yet so its just what I heard from others here
Old 03-25-19, 10:45 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

I’ve looked around as well. Just wonder what would keep the compressor from running indefinitely. I guess it’ll be the height sensor to keep it shut off.
Old 03-26-19, 12:55 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

I wondered the same thing, but most ive asked say they don't notice the compressor running

I am assuming the height sensors only tell the compressor to run when the car is too low, and since they wont be doing that anymore the compressor might just sit dormant

But please post details when you do the swap, theres a long running theme or people posting very vague info after doing the swap, that's why after 11 years of these cars on the market no one really knows exactly how to do it.
Old 03-26-19, 03:54 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

We left everything in place after my OEM air to coilover static swap. No warnings for almost a year now but I do have thoughts of ripping out those unnecessary items. I never hear my compressor working. Pull the trigger, coils really bring out the potential in this chassis if your into driving yours...
Old 03-26-19, 09:21 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
We left everything in place after my OEM air to coilover static swap. No warnings for almost a year now but I do have thoughts of ripping out those unnecessary items. I never hear my compressor working. Pull the trigger, coils really bring out the potential in this chassis if your into driving yours...
thanks, so basically you just swapped out the struts for coils and didn't touch anything else?
Old 03-27-19, 10:32 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

That’s really it.
The following users liked this post:
3GSShoe (12-09-19)
Old 03-28-19, 12:04 PM
Slickie
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Van,
Can you provide any qualitative thoughts on how the coilovers changed the ride and handling?

Thanks
Slick
Old 03-29-19, 11:25 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Over three generations of LS I have ditched the soft factory suspension for coilovers and complied nearly 100k miles.

Aside from appearance where changing the altitude changes the attitude. Swapping to coilovers will improve many aspects related to steering, braking, and handling. I won’t get too much into it but if your tired of body roll, want more accuracy and feed back through steering then add to cart.
Old 03-29-19, 12:17 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

I upgraded my Fortune 500s to 14k and 10k Swift springs. These ride so much better than my last two pairs of BC Racing.
Old 03-29-19, 03:42 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
Over three generations of LS I have ditched the soft factory suspension for coilovers and complied nearly 100k miles.

Aside from appearance where changing the altitude changes the attitude. Swapping to coilovers will improve many aspects related to steering, braking, and handling. I won’t get too much into it but if your tired of body roll, want more accuracy and feed back through steering then add to cart.
I made the hard choice to go with KYB struts and tannabe lowering springs rather then coilovers only because I rack up a ton of miles each year, its a work vehicle and daily driver, and ive heard coilovers don't last as long as regular struts

have you had to rebuild your coils every couple years or have they been fine?
Old 03-29-19, 04:05 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

I know for a fact the 8 year old set of BC Racing in my old 400 are still going strong. It also depends on how often you hit potholes. I proactively dodge them and rarely put my car through one. I can imagine that a strut spring combo will take more long term abuse. I just love the feedback and connection that coilovers provide. Leveling up to a good set like Fortune 500s I can really tell they are a step above BCs. It was a no brainer to go with Swift springs. I’ve also replaced my UCA bushings with Figs poly adjustable camber units. In PWR/M mode full Trac disable it just wants to smoke the 285s if I dig in too much. Time for a OS Giken LSD.
The following users liked this post:
1WILLY1 (03-29-19)
Old 03-31-19, 03:37 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

There are no camber adjustments on the FA500. I had the Figs bushings pressed into the OEM arms. I even kept it neutral and ended up with 1.6 degrees front and 2 degrees rear with my height.

Quick Reply: Anyone removed their air compressor or air lines after coilover swap?