ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Apple Car Play - Are you Using It, Is it Good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-19, 04:24 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Apple Car Play - Are you Using It, Is it Good?

I am not an Apple Fan Boy but I do have some Apple Products that I love. I have two 27” iMac’s, one 2.5k and one 5k, I have an iPhone 10, Apple TV (Which was a gift and I never use, because I have a 4k Smart TV), I have a 12.9” iPad Pro and a 9.7” iPad 3 and an Apple Airport Airport Extreme 2TB

This is a serious question, all my friends always mention that their cars have Apple Car Play and I have aways been like..My car doesn’t have that.

Now that I have my 2019 ES 350 Ultra Luxury, it has that big 12.3” screen and Apple Car Play, I have never used it because I just don’t know why I would, the interface is kind of bland and I think the Mark Levinson Audio system does a pretty good job.

I plugged my phone in once and maybe it is because I didn’t give it any real effort, I really didn’t understand the big deal, so, I am looking for some advice from the people who actually use it.

What is the advantage of using Apple Car Play, I thought it might be good for listening to Audio books, but, I would like to know is it good and what are the things that make it better to use than the stock Lexus/Mark Levinson interface?
Old 03-24-19, 04:54 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I'd wager that 90% of people who use it (including myself) use it primarily for map mirroring. Google/Apple Maps and Waze work so well compared to really any nav interface you can find. Also, you'll find audio quality much better over CarPlay (USB) than you will over Bluetooth.
The following 3 users liked this post by yardie876:
ES63 (03-26-19), F3Woody (12-06-22), hisstojay (04-30-19)
Old 03-24-19, 05:25 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

To me there is a major downside to Apple CarPlay and even Android Auto in cars that have it. It's the fact that it needs to be plugged in over USB. This causes three issues in my opinion.

1. The cord just gets in the way.
2. It means that I would always have to take my phone out of my pocket when I get in the car which sucks in a car like the ES with it's very few storage locations (one of the few minor complaints I have with the car).
3. It would mean my phone would have to be charging whenever I want to use the phone features which I certainly don't want to do.

I'm an Android user (I just can't stand iOS) so it doesn't matter at this point but if Android Auto ever comes to the 2019 ES from an update the same will apply.

Old 03-24-19, 05:48 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,336 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by jimv1983
To me there is a major downside to Apple CarPlay and even Android Auto in cars that have it. It's the fact that it needs to be plugged in over USB. This causes three issues in my opinion.

1. The cord just gets in the way.
2. It means that I would always have to take my phone out of my pocket when I get in the car which sucks in a car like the ES with it's very few storage locations (one of the few minor complaints I have with the car).
3. It would mean my phone would have to be charging whenever I want to use the phone features which I certainly don't want to do.

I'm an Android user (I just can't stand iOS) so it doesn't matter at this point but if Android Auto ever comes to the 2019 ES from an update the same will apply.
Some mfrs are enabling wireless carplay and perhaps andriod auto as well. Im an android user like you so moot point for an ES owner without a Crapple phone.
Old 03-24-19, 05:56 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Some mfrs are enabling wireless carplay and perhaps andriod auto as well. Im an android user like you so moot point for an ES owner without a Crapple phone.
So far I haven't heard of any car manufacturers having support for wireless Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. I haven't heard of wireless CarPlay at all and for Android Auto I've only heard of support from after market equipment. For Android Auto we'll have to wait and see if the 2019 ES gets support via a software update.
Old 03-24-19, 06:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

So far I haven't heard of any car manufacturers having support for wireless Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. I haven't heard of wireless CarPlay at all and for Android Auto I've only heard of support from after market equipment. For Android Auto we'll have to wait and see if the 2019 ES gets support via a software update.
The new Toyota Supra will have wireless CarPlay. So,does most BMW models.
Old 03-24-19, 06:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
I am not an Apple Fan Boy but I do have some Apple Products that I love. I have two 27” iMac’s, one 2.5k and one 5k, I have an iPhone 10, Apple TV (Which was a gift and I never use, because I have a 4k Smart TV), I have a 12.9” iPad Pro and a 9.7” iPad 3 and an Apple Airport Airport Extreme 2TB

This is a serious question, all my friends always mention that their cars have Apple Car Play and I have aways been like..My car doesn’t have that.

Now that I have my 2019 ES 350 Ultra Luxury, it has that big 12.3” screen and Apple Car Play, I have never used it because I just don’t know why I would, the interface is kind of bland and I think the Mark Levinson Audio system does a pretty good job.

I plugged my phone in once and maybe it is because I didn’t give it any real effort, I really didn’t understand the big deal, so, I am looking for some advice from the people who actually use it.

What is the advantage of using Apple Car Play, I thought it might be good for listening to Audio books, but, I would like to know is it good and what are the things that make it better to use than the stock Lexus/Mark Levinson interface?
Some of the advantages are:

1. you can choose which maps you want you use. Waze, Google Maps, or Apple maps. Your choice
2. Better use of text messaging which driving by Siri, a very good method to respond to texts
3. Superior data privacy if you use Apple Maps
4. Choice of podcast system

The following users liked this post:
F3Woody (12-06-22)
Old 03-24-19, 06:28 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,336 Likes on 1,687 Posts

here you go

Old 03-24-19, 07:11 PM
Gr8Car4Me
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to say plugging in the phone is not a minus - charging to and from work keeps the phone charged. The big draw to apple car play for me is Waze, and it's ability to report police activity. I seem to have a bit of a lead foot, and with such a quiet and smooth ride I tend to run over the speed limit.
Old 03-24-19, 08:03 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I tried it for the first time last week, and music sounded horrible. It was a night and day difference, for the worst. I can’t believe that’s normal, so I’m going to have to figure out how to tune it so it sounds better. I just don’t know if I need to adjust the phone or apple play. I’m thinking Nav is the reason to use it, but it seems like Lexus has really upgraded the navigation package.
Old 03-24-19, 08:25 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
here you go
Nice to see a manufacturer supporting wireless. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Gr8Car4Me
I have to say plugging in the phone is not a minus - charging to and from work keeps the phone charged. The big draw to apple car play for me is Waze, and it's ability to report police activity. I seem to have a bit of a lead foot, and with such a quiet and smooth ride I tend to run over the speed limit.
It depends on if my phone needs to be charged. If my phone is already fully charged like it would be on the way to work then I don't want to plug it in. If it needs to be charged then fine. I just don't want it to be necessary. If the 2019 ES gets updated to support Android Auto and it requires being plugged in I probably won't use it unless my phone needs to be charged.

Also, with a lack of a place to put a phone in the ES it's just easier to keep it in my pocket unless charging is necessary.

Last edited by jimv1983; 03-24-19 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 11:11 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv

2 iMacs
iPhone X
Apple TV
2 iPads
Airport Extreme

Sorry but if that doesn't count as an "Apple Fan Boy" I don't know what does.
Old 03-25-19, 07:14 AM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

2 iMacs
iPhone X
Apple TV
2 iPads
Airport Extreme

Sorry but if that doesn't count as an "Apple Fan Boy" I don't know what does.
I forgot, I also have AirPods, but I still don't consider myself an Apple Fan Boy, I didn't even get my first Apple computer until 2 years ago, I have always been in Systems Programming, Technical Support and Development and Mainframes, Windows and Unix/Linux have been my primary platforms of interest for at least 35 years. I don't get into all that madness about which camp is better, I leave that to people who enjoy that kind of debate. I purchase Technology based on how good it is and truthfully, Apple has made some really good products that all work very well together, so it's pointless to try and explain this to someone who has not benefited from something like continuity features. The Apple products that I own are because they were the ones that fit or performed best for me. The Key is Performed Best for Me!!
Old 03-25-19, 08:22 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Couple of points to consider, the use of any of the Navigation Apps draws quite a bit of juice from the
device battery. While it is an inconvenience to fish through (Chicago winter) clothing to cable up the
phone it does keep the phone ready to go during the rest of the 12 hour day that I am not near a plug.

I also rank the Waze App as about the best way to get traffic news because of the peer to peer
structure. When you compare the Waze map on the car screen vs. the native Lexus map however
you quickly discover some awkward differences. You can use the touch pad to "pinch" or "spread"
as with a phone screen to zoom and scroll the Lexus map...gotta use fussy buttons on the Waze map to move
it or zoom it. Have you all found the Waze App setting for Voice and Sound "Play as Bluetooth phone call"?
Just as an incoming phone call mutes your Media and then hangs up, Waze will break in a announce
the traffic situation and then hang up. Works great even while using the Lexus map. Combined with
the "phone out on the cable" arrangement you can easily (illegally) touch the phone App screen and
add your on the fly observations.
Old 03-25-19, 06:42 PM
MSterling
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Today I experimented with the same music on my phone with Bluetooth and CarPlay. The CarPlay was superior. Even my passengers notice.

I find the Hey Siri, to provide slow responses. But that may be my phone. I have a iPhone 6.

Quick Reply: Apple Car Play - Are you Using It, Is it Good?