ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

I had my ES for awhile before I figured out...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-19, 07:19 PM
Steve300h
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I had my ES for awhile before I figured out...

What new thing did you learn about your ES only after you had been driving it for awhile?

Today I found out if you sit with the break hold on for too long it starts flashing warnings that you need to put your foot back on the break.
Now I'm curious what happens if you don't. I'll have to try that soon to find out.

Old 03-23-19, 07:49 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve300h
What new thing did you learn about your ES only after you had been driving it for awhile?

Today I found out if you sit with the break hold on for too long it starts flashing warnings that you need to put your foot back on the break.
Now I'm curious what happens if you don't. I'll have to try that soon to find out.
I pretend that is my line lock 🔒 and it helps me get a holeshot

Philip
Old 03-23-19, 08:16 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve300h

Normally when I have passengers that are going to enter the vehicle with me, I grab the rear door handle before grabbing my handle so that it will unlock the doors for the passengers.
This is my 4th ES 350 UL and I'm not even sure about the previous ones, but if you just grab and hold the Drivers door handle for 5 seconds, it will unlock the other doors.
The following users liked this post:
Steve300h (03-23-19)
Old 03-24-19, 07:02 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,350 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Brake or Break🤔
The following users liked this post:
don1 (03-25-19)
Old 03-24-19, 01:55 PM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

The 360 camera is great for parking either parallel or perfectly centered between the lines in a regular lot. I rarely park without checking it.
Old 03-24-19, 03:18 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
Normally when I have passengers that are going to enter the vehicle with me, I grab the rear door handle before grabbing my handle so that it will unlock the doors for the passengers.
This is my 4th ES 350 UL and I'm not even sure about the previous ones, but if you just grab and hold the Drivers door handle for 5 seconds, it will unlock the other doors.
Are you saying that all 4 doors have unlock sensors in the door handles? Also, unlocking all doors from the front requires you to hold the driver's handle for 5 seconds? I don't have my ES yet(on the boat from Japan right now) and I didn't test that during my test drives. My current car is a 2011 Camry. The rear doors don't have sensors. Just the front doors. However grabbing one of the front doors unlocks all 4 doors. That's cool if all 4 doors on the ES have unlock sensors but annoying if the driver's door doesn't unlock all at once.
Old 03-24-19, 03:19 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jimv1983
Are you saying that all 4 doors have unlock sensors in the door handles? Also, unlocking all doors from the front requires you to hold the driver's handle for 5 seconds? I don't have my ES yet(on the boat from Japan right now) and I didn't test that during my test drives. My current car is a 2011 Camry. The rear doors don't have sensors. Just the front doors. However grabbing one of the front doors unlocks all 4 doors. That's cool if all 4 doors on the ES have unlock sensors but annoying if the driver's door doesn't unlock all at once.
All four doors have the sensors indeed and five seconds is not the case. Opens basically as soon as you touch. I'll add that I have it programmed to open all doors at the same time so perhaps the poster doesnt have it set up that way.
Old 03-24-19, 03:41 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
All four doors have the sensors indeed and five seconds is not the case. Opens basically as soon as you touch. I'll add that I have it programmed to open all doors at the same time so perhaps the poster doesnt have it set up that way.
That is correct, I Do Not want all of my doors to unlock unless it is intentional, So, I have it set to unlock only the drivers door when touched and if I want to unlock the others for passengers or to do something else, then I have complete control by either touching the rear door handle or holding the driver's side front handle for 5 seconds.
Old 03-24-19, 03:55 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
That is correct, I Do Not want all of my doors to unlock unless it is intentional, So, I have it set to unlock only the drivers door when touched and if I want to unlock the others for passengers or to do something else, then I have complete control by either touching the rear door handle or holding the driver's side front handle for 5 seconds.
So it's something you can set? Good to know. Is it a setting you can change or one of the settings that requires a dealer to do it? What's the default?
Old 03-24-19, 04:02 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Originally Posted by jimv1983
So it's something you can set? Good to know. Is it a setting you can change or one of the settings that requires a dealer to do it? What's the default?
It is a user selectable option and the default I believe is to have all doors unlock when the driver's door handle is touched, I Don't like that idea at all.

I also Don't like the other default behavior where when you put the car in drive, it locks the doors, and when you put it back in park it unlocks the doors.

I changed that so it locks the doors when you put it in drive, but does not unlock when you put the car back in park. Again, I just think it is safer that way.

Old 03-26-19, 06:47 AM
Gr8Car4Me
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If I press and immediately release the talk button on the steering wheel I connect to the car's voice control system. If I hold that button down for a moment longer I end up talking to Siri on my cell phone. I'm sure everyone else is thinking "obvoulsly", but it confused me for quite a while.
Old 03-26-19, 08:26 AM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Originally Posted by Gr8Car4Me
If I press and immediately release the talk button on the steering wheel I connect to the car's voice control system. If I hold that button down for a moment longer I end up talking to Siri on my cell phone. I'm sure everyone else is thinking "obvoulsly", but it confused me for quite a while.
Thanks for that info, Not as obvious as one may think, I am trying to get used to this.
I believe in my 2016 I had to hold that talk button for a second for it to function, Now I press the function button quickly and I can command it to call or do something, I keep thinking to press the phone button to command it to call but that's not how it works. :-)

I guess I have to get used to this, but again thanks for that information.
Old 03-26-19, 08:26 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gr8Car4Me
Maybe everyone else excluding Android users
Old 03-26-19, 08:39 AM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Something simple that I just noticed for the first time today is that the Glovebox door is padded, I know my previous ES's had a kind of rubberized plastic, but this one is actually padded.
Old 03-26-19, 09:09 AM
imz14u2nv
Driver

I had my car in drive today and a stray cat walked across in front of the car and the Front Camera up on the Nav Display, I didn't see the cat until that happened, didn't know the car did that.

Quick Reply: I had my ES for awhile before I figured out...