Default High mileage IS350 worth it?

I found a 2008 IS350 that has;

- 160K miles
- 2 previous owners
- No accidents of any kind based on VIN
- Navigation
- Everything pretty much works with no issues
- $4,500

I havent talked to the sell yet but what do you guys think? Since it's up there in miles what do you guys expect/recommend to change out and is it worth it or not? Thanks.

Old 03-19-19, 02:33 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Do it. They last forever
Old 03-19-19, 03:25 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Do it. They last forever

While all around it's a great car, I wouldn't stretch it to say they'll last forever. OP needs to remember that this is a high mileage car, and he's likely to start seeing components that need replacing (mainly, suspension components. Then, gaskets, alternator, water pump, etc). While the low price on a high mileage car seems nice, always be wary of those high mileage concerns that could just be around the corner. I don't know the car's history, but with the black spray painted rims, I'd bet the car is owned by a younger guy who probably has beat on it a bit.

I'd have the owner and yourself take it to have a pre-purchase inspection done by a mechanic. They could at least identify current issues/things that are on the radar.
The following users liked this post:
amsterkiwi (12-08-23)
Old 03-20-19, 03:45 AM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmon
While all around it's a great car, I wouldn't stretch it to say they'll last forever. OP needs to remember that this is a high mileage car, and he's likely to start seeing components that need replacing (mainly, suspension components. Then, gaskets, alternator, water pump, etc). While the low price on a high mileage car seems nice, always be wary of those high mileage concerns that could just be around the corner. I don't know the car's history, but with the black spray painted rims, I'd bet the car is owned by a younger guy who probably has beat on it a bit.

I'd have the owner and yourself take it to have a pre-purchase inspection done by a mechanic. They could at least identify current issues/things that are on the radar.
I agree with everything exactly. I'll try and make contact with the seller when I find the time. It's just hard to find this generation 350 in my state with a decent number of miles for the corresponding years vs price point. Hell, there are some '11-'13 being listed for $17K USD and have like 40K miles on them.
Old 03-20-19, 09:57 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Seems like a fair deal if the car checks out.
Old 03-20-19, 03:06 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

It all depends on how the service history checks out. We purchased our one-owner '08 IS250 earlier this year that was dealer serviced with 152k on the odometer. Save for a fuel pump (which went out the next day...how's that for bad timing?) and a headlight ballast no issues since.

Have a PPI done and if everything checks out buy it!
Old 03-20-19, 07:57 PM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Sometimes it’s just luck. I purchased my 350 with 127k. All service records from Lexus. Recalls completed and synthetic oil change every 5k. At about 132k I lost a valve spring and the valve dropped in the motor. Bud luck for me. I still think Lexus IS a solid long lasting car. Go for it.
Old 03-20-19, 11:25 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Petet, what year was your 350?
Old 03-21-19, 03:30 AM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

08 the valve spring recall was completed.
Old 03-21-19, 11:09 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Sounds like a decent deal. But like everyone says, it's still a high-mileage vehicle. It's a gamble. But best to gamble on a Toyota than a BMW!
Old 03-23-19, 01:51 AM
Chewoot
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful.

I just bought an is350 almost 2 months ago with 133k miles and everything is almost perfect with it except it consumes oil like a fat kid eats cake.

I just made a post about this but in case you don’t read it be caustious of heavy oil consumption.

I did my research prior to buying this car and never saw anyone say anything but this engine is bulletproof... come to find out A LOT of people have had oil consumption issues.

Anyways I would definitely recommend the car and i still love mine, it still performs well and shows no real signs of distress( never laggy or feels sluggish or rough ride) just that damn oil consumption!!
Old 03-23-19, 08:18 AM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chewoot
Be careful.

I just bought an is350 almost 2 months ago with 133k miles and everything is almost perfect with it except it consumes oil like a fat kid eats cake.

I just made a post about this but in case you don’t read it be caustious of heavy oil consumption.

I did my research prior to buying this car and never saw anyone say anything but this engine is bulletproof... come to find out A LOT of people have had oil consumption issues.

Anyways I would definitely recommend the car and i still love mine, it still performs well and shows no real signs of distress( never laggy or feels sluggish or rough ride) just that damn oil consumption!!
I was wondering about the oil consumption myself. Did they ever confirm what causes that issue on these engines?
Old 03-23-19, 03:45 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Leaks, rings, or valve stem seals.
That said I'd lay odds the oil burners of the group had extended OCI coupled with short daily trips never reaching proper temperature AND PO treated them like a tractor motor (engine).
All WAG's but it matters. Ask them how it was used, as in, if it idled across state lines I would opt out. Engines that see RPM once warm are happy and live a long life.
JM2C...
Old 03-23-19, 03:49 PM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Leaks, rings, or valve stem seals.
That said I'd lay odds the oil burners of the group had extended OCI coupled with short daily trips never reaching proper temperature AND PO treated them like a tractor motor (engine).
All WAG's but it matters. Ask them how it was used, as in, if it idled across state lines I would opt out. Engines that see RPM once warm are happy and live a long life.
JM2C...
Probably and I've been trying to reach the owner for more info. I'm having oil consumption issues myself on my '07 Scion tC. It's mainly due to Toyota not drilling the piston return holes large enough which causes deposits to clog the holes and the oil ends up burning away in the combustion chamber. I think Toyota cheaper out big time during that decade, "2000 - 2010". So many cars from Toyota have stupid issues like that and a lot of owners are getting screwed even if they took care of their cars per vehicle maintenance schedule.
Old 03-23-19, 06:54 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Do recall they went for low friction rings to increase MPG over distance.
Although MANY state these engines are unchanged over the years, clearly things like rings and valve springs carry a revised part number today so not apples to apples.
The question is why some are OK and others are not?

All my engines pull RPM on a daily basis. Nothing has failed me yet.

Quick Reply: High mileage IS350 worth it?