Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model Y

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-19, 01:56 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tesla Model Y

Revealed yesterday, surprised no one's talking about it on here yet.

This will undoubtedly become Tesla's best seller, Musk is already saying it will outsell rest of lineup combined easily. So this may put a damper on Model 3 since it's not much more but essentially a taller more practical Model 3.

Biggest surprise is the 3rd row! Who would think looking at this that there's a 3rd row back there?? Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota 4Runner, etc don't have 3rd rows, somehow this coupe like vehicle does!

So it has a 230 mile range, 66 cu ft of cargo space, AWD, 0-60 in 5.5 sec for the base model. 300 mile range for long range model.

I like it, it would be the Tesla I'd get.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 03-16-19 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-16-19, 02:13 PM
Stormwind
Racer

they demoed too early imo, people who ordered it now won't get it until 2022 and most people who wants a base model won't even see it until 23.
now the only thing i don't like about this car is the duck lip on the front bumper.
Old 03-16-19, 02:15 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The launch of this model was interesting. I was expecting something grand I guess, as this is the Model X->S to the Model 3, but really kind of a snoozefest compared to the previous launches. I bet the tesla aficionados will love this model, but its not really fulfilling, almost appliance like. The third row is kind of tight squeeze looking at the cutaway view) so basically for those you hate or physically small. Officially labeled as a crossover but it just seems like a GT sedan but with a third row. The ride height isnt that taller, again until they start rolling out to the galleries who knows.

The steering wheel design which i disliked in the model 3 is back here again. It seems like something out of a saturn parts bin, but overall the plus points are:

-Cheaper model X
-pricing is up there with the small crossovers
-most advanced level 2 system out there
-more useable space
Old 03-16-19, 02:17 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Looks like it will be a hot seller with more consumers going towards CUV's it makes sense. I would daily drive one of these.
Old 03-16-19, 02:26 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Like @coolsaber said, the reveal was kind of a snoozefest. I was pretty excited and tuned in for the livestream, but as the rumors and speculation have been saying all along, it really is just a Model 3 with a taller greenhouse. I had higher hopes and expected a bit more as well, so overall, it was kind of "meh."

The Model 3 doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, so it makes sense I give no ****s about the Model Y lol. I do think it looks more attractive the Model 3 and the overall shape is more attractive than the egg-like shape of the Model X.

I was hoping for more to look forward to as I wouldn't mind getting a Tesla one of these days, but I guess I'll have to hold out for the next-gen Model S refresh, whenever that day comes.

Overall though, for those who are looking for a smaller crossover, this is no doubt going to be a huge hit and would absolutely be my pick in the segment if I were looking for one. I'm pretty over gassing up and look forward to getting an electric car soon. Hopefully Lexus doesn't take forever to bring their electric cars to market as the entire industry is heading towards electric. I would hate to give up everything I love about the Lexus brand just to keep up with the times but the Model S really is starting to call my name...

Last edited by signdetres; 03-16-19 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-16-19, 02:37 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormwind
they demoed too early imo, people who ordered it now won't get it until 2022 and most people who wants a base model won't even see it until 23.
now the only thing i don't like about this car is the duck lip on the front bumper.
Read that it will supposedly be on sale fall 2020. Still does seem too far away though considering that this is 75% a Model 3. With competition barreling down, Tesla needs to figure out how to move things along quicker. That's where being a startup is really, really hard.

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The launch of this model was interesting. I was expecting something grand I guess, as this is the Model X->S to the Model 3, but really kind of a snoozefest compared to the previous launches. I bet the tesla aficionados will love this model, but its not really fulfilling, almost appliance like. The third row is kind of tight squeeze looking at the cutaway view) so basically for those you hate or physically small. Officially labeled as a crossover but it just seems like a GT sedan but with a third row. The ride height isnt that taller, again until they start rolling out to the galleries who knows.

The steering wheel design which i disliked in the model 3 is back here again. It seems like something out of a saturn parts bin, but overall the plus points are:

-Cheaper model X
-pricing is up there with the small crossovers
-most advanced level 2 system out there
-more useable space
I'd like for Tesla's "crossovers" to actually be more crossover/SUV like. So far we have the X and Y that like you said are more like GT hatchback cars. A crossover is supposed to have added ground clearance, a more squared off rear with a liftgate (not hatchback), beefier stance, etc. A little bit of off road cred essentially.

Originally Posted by plex
Looks like it will be a hot seller with more consumers going towards CUV's it makes sense. I would daily drive one of these.
Already seeing talk as to this rendering the Model 3 obsolete or almost pointless. Many Model 3 owners are predicted to trade for the Y. The 2 models are just too close leaving the 3 look less compelling. I liked the 3 but now would absolutely opt for the Y.
Old 03-16-19, 03:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

they demoed too early imo, people who ordered it now won't get it until 2022
I thought they said delivery late next year (2020) not 2022.

but i believe they revealed it to get deposits for desperately needed cash to finance current operations.
Old 03-16-19, 05:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-

Biggest surprise is the 3rd row! Who would think looking at this that there's a 3rd row back there?? Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota 4Runner, etc don't have 3rd rows, somehow this coupe like vehicle does!

So it has a 230 mile range, 66 cu ft of cargo space, AWD, 0-60 in 5.5 sec for the base model. 300 mile range for long range model.

I like it, it would be the Tesla I'd get.
FYI - the 4Runner has had a 3rd row option for about 10 years now. I'm curious what the 3rd row in this Tesla is like.
Old 03-16-19, 05:55 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
FYI - the 4Runner has had a 3rd row option for about 10 years now. I'm curious what the 3rd row in this Tesla is like.
That's right, for some reason I forgot that. It's tiny much like the Y's will be. Still nice to have. Most people just throw young kids in the 3rd row anyway. Sometimes, too much attention is put on how big 3rd rows are. How many 6 footers really go back there?
Old 03-16-19, 07:17 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I thought they said delivery late next year (2020) not 2022.

but i believe they revealed it to get deposits for desperately needed cash to finance current operations.
they stated production "expected" to start at 2021 and who know what kind of delays they will have (almost guaranteed they will have delays) so no one will get it until '22.
Old 03-16-19, 07:30 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
That's right, for some reason I forgot that. It's tiny much like the Y's will be. Still nice to have. Most people just throw young kids in the 3rd row anyway. Sometimes, too much attention is put on how big 3rd rows are. How many 6 footers really go back there?
While the 4runner maybe small, this iteration of a 3rd row is crazy small, similar to what Lexus implemented in the RX-L...its unnecessary and thankfully something thats a optional extra. Tesla hasnt released actual dimensions besides the cargo capacity number, and during the post launch test drive that day they kept the 3rd row folded for the most part. A couple videos however show some enterprising folks who took a sneak peek, and it seemed like there were absolutely zero room for legs lol.
Old 03-16-19, 07:32 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Another bit is location of mfg. The Model 3 platform of the Model Y allows it to be produced at the fremont plant, but so far this vehicle maybe produced at GF-1 or exported from china.
Old 03-16-19, 07:43 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
While the 4runner maybe small, this iteration of a 3rd row is crazy small, similar to what Lexus implemented in the RX-L...its unnecessary and thankfully something thats a optional extra. Tesla hasnt released actual dimensions besides the cargo capacity number, and during the post launch test drive that day they kept the 3rd row folded for the most part. A couple videos however show some enterprising folks who took a sneak peek, and it seemed like there were absolutely zero room for legs lol.
Really, the 3rd row in the Model Y should be an option. Most won't use it in this size car and all it does is take away total cargo volume that more people DO use.
Old 03-16-19, 09:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

they stated production "expected" to start at 2021 and who know what kind of delays they will have (almost guaranteed they will have delays) so no one will get it until '22.
no website says standard range expected start is 'early 2021' but long range and performance models (all more $$$) expected 'late next year'.
Old 03-16-19, 10:12 PM
ronmaiden
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully they really start to improve quality control since a lot of Teslas are in the shop from the factory before even being sold. My friend does body work and is Tesla certified and he says he'd never own one.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model Y