GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS-F much better/cost effective vs,...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-19, 08:45 AM
KAH
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default GS-F much better/cost effective vs,...

After test driving a few used 2016 GS-Fs, I bit the bullet for 4 reasons:

1. The upgraded mechanical/interior/exterior/performance features are very nice—but far less $$ than upgrading my F-Sport by adding accessories.

2. Found a ‘16 GS-F with mid 30k miles, single owner lease return, extended warranty—for high $40s. Compare that with the price of aftermarket add ons.

3. V8 exhaust in the F (no droning at any rev point, but great sound).

4. I wanted more HP, as several on the board know. To each his own. If I were to spend $10k and up—it wasn’t going to be for a bolt on supercharger with bugs galore, vs a thoroughly vetted stock and warranties setup. Time/effort/labor/engineering by Lexus—seems a better call.

NOTE: I am trading in my 15 F Sport for a 16 GS F. Two pics—my traded in 15 F Sport and my new to me 16 F (silver is my color). Once it arrives on Wed-Thu, will post. First stop—tint.

Last edited by KAH; 03-16-19 at 07:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (03-16-19)
Old 03-16-19, 09:13 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Congrats!!! After you’ve been in the car for a month or two, give us an update on how the ride, handling, etc are comparing/feel to the 350. I’d love the V8 but wonder if for day to day it would be too stiff, etc.
Old 03-16-19, 09:57 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Congrats on the GS F! I completely agree with your assessment about the value proposition. Lots of time and energy would be needed to get an F-Sport to be "closer" to a GS F. As enthusiasts, we sometimes like the idea of working on our cars, adding new things, etc but for a real power upgrade without headache, what you did is a smart choice.

Curious to know about how different your MPG is with the GS F and general ride characteristics compared to your F-Sport. Enjoy and great choice
Old 03-16-19, 10:31 AM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Congrats on the GS F! I completely agree with your assessment about the value proposition. Lots of time and energy would be needed to get an F-Sport to be "closer" to a GS F. As enthusiasts, we sometimes like the idea of working on our cars, adding new things, etc but for a real power upgrade without headache, what you did is a smart choice.

Curious to know about how different your MPG is with the GS F and general ride characteristics compared to your F-Sport. Enjoy and great choice
the significant decrease in estimated mpg and lack of full use of power is why I didn’t go with the F. But you bring a good point up. He still has the option to add a super charger for even more power later than he would have with the 350 lol
Old 03-16-19, 10:47 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

I posted something similar to this thread a few months ago. Basically GSF > F Sport with RR SC. Who wants to dump $10K into something full of bugs and headaches. Prices have come down a bit on '16 GSF where it makes since now to move up. You can easily get 500HP by adding a catback exhaust to your F. So much more potential then moddin' a F Sport. Congrats 👍
Old 03-16-19, 11:25 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Nice car! I can see your logic for the upgrade. Good deals on used F cars to be had if you can find the right one. I do miss owning a V8 car.
Old 03-16-19, 01:18 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

How's the ride on the GS-F when compared to the GS350? Do you feel that the power on the GS-F is an improvement over the GS350 under normal driving?
Old 03-16-19, 02:44 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by azipod
How's the ride on the GS-F when compared to the GS350? Do you feel that the power on the GS-F is an improvement over the GS350 under normal driving?
I would like to know this as well. The 2016 GS F doesn't have AVS whereas your 2015 GS 350 does. Very curious to know about the ride quality in daily driving. That said, congrats!!! Your new car looks absolutely beautiful! Silver with the dark mirrors, headlights & spoiler looks killer! I miss driving a V8
Old 03-16-19, 03:10 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Fake Sport is no match, GS-F is the way to go.
KAH (03-16-19)
Old 03-16-19, 04:36 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by PilotX
In summary: I bought a GS-F. I was going to write a bunch of stuff about how you used four separate points that were redundant and exhibited a lack of first-hand knowledge but then I realized you went to West Point and so might have a learning disability.
Old 03-16-19, 04:43 PM
VA75067
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am in a similar boat. I have a 2015 gs 350 f-sport with 23k miles and am thinking about trading this in for. 2016/17 gs f. If you don’t mind sharing , can you share the number $$ that you paid on the upgrade. ?
Old 03-16-19, 05:12 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Congrats!

I looked at getting a used GS F, but I had a hard time getting past the fact that the 2016 didn't have AVS, and the US model excludes things like a heated steering wheel, rear sunshade, etc. That glorious V8, though...
Old 03-16-19, 05:26 PM
KAH
Rookie

Originally Posted by AJLex19

Thank you.

I test drove an F at my local dealership while my F-Sport was in for routine service, and that pretty much ruined it for me. I was done.

The ride was firmer, but everything else was to put it mildly—better. I am old school, and do like the sound of a V8. That made a difference.

Candidly, my F-Sport wasn’t exactly fuel efficient at 20-22mpg on my commute. Adding a supercharger would have made it worse. V8 engine won’t be much worse. My commute also is only from suburbs to office (30 miles round trip).

I bought mine sight unseen from out of state, but respect the seller/dealer. Once it arrives, I’ll post pics and better impressions.
Old 03-16-19, 05:50 PM
KAH
Rookie

Default PM me please

Originally Posted by VA75067
I am in a similar boat. I have a 2015 gs 350 f-sport with 23k miles and am thinking about trading this in for. 2016/17 gs f. If you don’t mind sharing , can you share the number $$ that you paid on the upgrade. ?

Trade in—given the total package is far less expensive than bolting a bunch of unproven accessories to a car. I have a factory extended warranty which comes with proven engineering. That was important to me.

NOTE: Personally I believe that some people prefer aftermarket and some people prefer to spend money to upgrade stock. Not a debate. I also saw how much trouble PilotX went through to get his car to run. I trust Lexus engineering over PilotX and his compadres. I prefer my learning disability over PilotX and his brilliance.

Last edited by KAH; 03-16-19 at 07:31 PM.
VA75067 (03-16-19)
Old 03-16-19, 06:14 PM
KAH
Rookie

Default Son, you are learning disabled

Originally Posted by PilotX

For parts, if you go with the SC, boost gauge, headers, mid-pipe, exhaust it comes in close to $9K. These are prices available from RR’s website or in some cases you can get things off Amazon, like axle back exhausts or boost gauges. I added water-meth, which added another ~$1650 (not necessary) to the job as well as some tuning issues initially. That is before labor to install everything. The SC install was quoted at about $1700. My final cost was somewhere around $100/hp but if you turn some wrenches, especially on the header/exhaust install it comes down a bit to maybe $80/hp.

Numbers aside, a few years ago I had my *** handed to me driving an S5 (4.2l V8) by an A4 with an ECU flash and little else. Sure I had linear power but I lost a lot due to altitude. Now I am pushing 8+ inches of boost (currently limited to 0 inches when my GF is in the car) and the car is phenomenal and pulls hard. It ain’t a corvette, it is Lexus but I spanked am S6 (older one with the V10) because I could. Sure a bit louder and less refined but damn this car is fast now. I’ll find me a GS-F to play with but no takers thus far.

PilotX,

I don’t live in the “Fast and Furious” world that you do.

I enjoy working on cars, but in this case—I believe you have the learning disability son.

$10k-20k is better spent on factory hardware.

I believe that any car enthusiast—whether they enjoy wrenching or not, has a budget.

I believe that OEMs do a better job when it comes to the F-Sport vs. F.

Don’t drive too fast and hurt yourself or anyone else.

Last edited by KAH; 03-16-19 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: GS-F much better/cost effective vs,...