LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Are Straight Pipes on LS430 Bad for the Car?

Old 03-13-19, 06:46 PM
nbizzle
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Are Straight Pipes on LS430 Bad for the Car?

So let me start with, I completely understand and respect that the Lexus LS430 is a refined luxury machine, engineered largely for it's smooth and quiet style. That being said, I have seen a few videos where people had removed the 3rd catalytic converter and run straight pipes. Not sure if they have mufflers or not.. They sound pretty good! I'm wondering how this effects the engine and computer systems. Any advice on systems such as this?

Thanks
Old 03-13-19, 07:18 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Not bad for the car, just everyone else that has to listen to it.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911LE:
nbizzle (03-13-19), potaijee (03-14-19)
Old 03-14-19, 01:25 AM
BCT
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Removing catalytic converter.... I am not a lawyer, but I am pretty sure that is illegal. Also, it is not good for the environment.
Old 03-14-19, 06:07 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Dont do it your car could possibly get feline aids!!!! Also removing oem emissions equipment is super illegal.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 03-14-19 at 06:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
nbizzle (03-14-19)
Old 03-14-19, 08:56 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

As a test I pulled off everything after the front Y on my 99 and it was LOUD and actually seemed to have lost torque. Of course this shortened the system and created resonance as the outlet was basically in the middle of the car between the road and floorboard. What is your goal?
nbizzle (03-14-19)
Old 03-14-19, 09:05 AM
robbyboy32
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

A better idea would be to get a few borla resonators, get a harbor freight tail pipe expander, and just replace your mufflers with the borlas
nbizzle (03-14-19)
Old 03-14-19, 09:10 AM
nbizzle
Rookie

Originally Posted by robbyboy32
A better idea would be to get a few borla resonators, get a harbor freight tail pipe expander, and just replace your mufflers with the borlas
So, am I right in assuming this would give me some sound, preserve all factory engineering (other than quiet of course), and not harm anything, other than noise pollution?
Old 03-14-19, 09:16 AM
nbizzle
Rookie

Originally Posted by JBrady
As a test I pulled off everything after the front Y on my 99 and it was LOUD and actually seemed to have lost torque. Of course this shortened the system and created resonance as the outlet was basically in the middle of the car between the road and floorboard. What is your goal?
My goal is to get a little bit of a sporty sound and maintain all factory engineering and not harm the car at all. The only reason I discussed the Cat's at all is because I know so little and most of the videos I pulled up involved cars with the 3rd Cat removed. I would MUCH rather not remove anything. Plus to be honest I'm still up in the air about this all together, probably won't do it until I have an exhaust issue that requires something being replaced, and want to 100% be sure this will not affect any of the rest of the operations of the car in a negative way whatsoever.
Old 03-14-19, 09:17 AM
nbizzle
Rookie

Talking

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
dont do it your car could possibly get feline aids!!!! Also removing oem emissions equipment is super illegal.
hahahahaha!
Old 03-14-19, 09:47 AM
kos
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 97 Posts

Don't think removing the final converter will adversely affect anything, seems plenty have done it in the past when doing custom exhausts. I definitely wouldn't straight pipe it, but an X-Pipe and a pair of nice mufflers would probably give you the sound you're after, and not annoy you with drone when cruising on the highway.
nbizzle (03-14-19)
Old 03-14-19, 10:19 PM
cookieend
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nbizzle
So let me start with, I completely understand and respect that the Lexus LS430 is a refined luxury machine, engineered largely for it's smooth and quiet style. That being said, I have seen a few videos where people had removed the 3rd catalytic converter and run straight pipes. Not sure if they have mufflers or not.. They sound pretty good! I'm wondering how this effects the engine and computer systems. Any advice on systems such as this?

Thanks
been thinking about This too wondering is it will hurting the motor with an h pipe and borla mufflers with e cutouts. Was gunna do 2.5 tubbing to replace the mufflers but I want that stick like look to my car
Old 03-15-19, 05:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

My understanding is that back pressure is needed. Which is why vehicles with true duals (Ford Raptor V6, certain BMWs like mine, blah blah blah) usually have X and H pipes if you look at the system in its entirety. Most vehicles of course have fake duals like our LS430, so could be altering it is fine.

Perhaps the best analogy is when one drives a car with a broken exhaust all the way to the cat. It is actually quieter at a sweet spot (rpm and mph), than it is at idle, as well as WOT.

I have always wondered when and why car cos. put fake duals on. But today? They even have fake outlets!! Look at a brand new Audi Q5 or S5. Or a Toyota Camry with dual tips. That is pretty sad imho, and takes fake duals to another level.
Old 03-15-19, 08:44 AM
BCT
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I have always wondered when and why car cos. put fake duals on. But today? They even have fake outlets!! Look at a brand new Audi Q5 or S5. Or a Toyota Camry with dual tips. That is pretty sad imho, and takes fake duals to another level.
I saw that fake duals on Camry the other day! I could not believe my eyes lmao
Old 03-15-19, 09:46 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Connected

Even two cylinder motorcycles generally have the two connected for the exhaust. A 'balance pipe' is employed that connect the two exhausts together, they then exit as two pipes.
Old 03-16-19, 08:33 AM
Vantage007
Pit Crew

Received 116 Likes on 50 Posts

It's funny, I'm actually having the opposite problem. My car has an aftermarket Magnaflow on it that's barely noticeable and adds a bit of "oomph" at wide open throttle. I just want to go back to stock tips because I'm a #StickWithStock guy, haha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are Straight Pipes on LS430 Bad for the Car?