ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2006 ES 330 Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 01:49 PM
dan9100
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 ES 330 Starting issues

One morning a few weeks ago wife's car would not start. Battery was near five years old so without hesitation I replaced the battery with a new Group 24F battery. Problem solved. Car started fine and no further issues.
Now one evening my wife goes to drive it and car won't start. I check the battery and it appears to be okay. I hook up the battery charger for overnight and next day still no start. Now this has my attention. Battery check show voltage is at 12.6 volts after the charge. I put the key in ignition and turn key to ON position and this time I notice the dash lights are not on. Only the red seat belt light and amber/orange check engine light are on but not the dash lights. Further turning the key to the start position does nothing. No clicks, no buzzing no starter drag, just nothing. Further check show the following have no power - radio, fan, windows, seat. The power door locks still work and the remote key door lock/unlock function for key still work. The headlights still work. Didn't check brake lights yet. So I removed the neutral start safety and push button to put the gear selector into neutral and still nothing. Or any other gear selection is still nothing.
Watched a few youtube videos and decided problem was the ignition starter switch as this has all of the symptoms, or so I decided. So now I have it switched out with a new made in China switch.
Still same problems. Didn't mention I checked out all fuses and they are okay but the cigarette lighter fuse (15A) that I was aware of. Have not verified any relays as of yet or any wiring. Battery terminals are cleaned from doing the battery change and never any corrosion.
Car is well maintained with 86k miles and still runs, drives very well with no reason to replace it.
Any thoughts or suggestions or past experience with this issue is welcomed.
Old 03-06-19, 02:24 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Try turning the battery cable terminal on the battery post by hand. One of them may be loose.

sometimes one of the battery clamps wears out to the point where it could not be tightened fully. If that’s the case, you can get s new clamp from Lexus for under $20

Last edited by PFB; 03-06-19 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 03:57 PM
HomerJay
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Did you try a different key?
Does the car have an aftermarket alarm or remote start?
Old 03-06-19, 06:50 PM
dan9100
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HomerJay
I have not tried a different key. It was lost a few months ago and not replaced yet. While searching for this "no start" issue I read some info about some software called Techstream to program my own key rather than dealing with a Lexus dealer and those prices that go with it.
No after market stereo or remote start. ALL wiring is as it came from dealer new.

Last edited by dan9100; 03-06-19 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 06:58 PM
dan9100
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HomerJay
Originally Posted by PFB
Try turning the battery cable terminal on the battery post by hand. One of them may be loose.

sometimes one of the battery clamps wears out to the point where it could not be tightened fully. If that’s the case, you can get s new clamp from Lexus for under $20
Testing the terminals for tightness and see they are snug and look to be in great shape. No corrosion and I have those anti-corrosive pads underneath with a dab of anti-corrosive dielectric grease I use for all my electrical connections similar to this.
Old 03-07-19, 10:13 AM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

If you are certain your cable connections are secure,
Check your 30A AM2 and 5A AM1 fuses.
See if they are getting power there.
Old 03-07-19, 12:16 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Of course if could also be a defective NEW battery. Dead cell??

Have it checked free of charge at a car parts chain. (Autozone, etc )

i just changed a defective Lexus battery that I purchased from the Lexus dealer 6 Months ago.

No charge at all. Free car wash, free windshield fluid, and free espresso coffee of course.
Old 03-09-19, 08:10 AM
Brando
Driver

Mine did the same thing and it was the starter. Pull the air box,battery and battery tray and bracket. The starter is real easy to get to. Swapped mine out and it started right up. I had the original starter and it would do nothing but light the dash when trying to start no noises or anything.
Old 03-12-19, 12:09 PM
dan9100
Driver School Candidate

This is what the Alternator 120A fuse looks like before and after I pulled out that piece of wire. Turns out that is a short piece of a fusible link that was done before I purchased the car nine and half years and 65k miles ago. All I did was put the fusible link back a more secure then before and this will solve my problem until I do a proper repair and replace it with a correct 120A fuse.
Thanks to all your replies as it is always helpful to hear another persons opinion.

Last edited by dan9100; 03-12-19 at 12:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-12-19, 04:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,740 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Replace with the correct fuse ASAP a high current fuse that is shorted can cause a fire and literally burn your car to the ground.
Old 03-13-19, 07:45 AM
Brando
Driver

Wow that is scary!! Why would someone rig a high amp fuse like that when they are so cheap to just replace. Not worth the risk of burning your car to the ground. Replace that fuse ASAP!!
Old 03-15-19, 04:17 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Brando
Wow that is scary!! Why would someone rig a high amp fuse like that when they are so cheap to just replace.
Because replacing that fuse is a real PITA. You have to pull the whole fuse box and release the fuse from underneath. They were lazy, not cheap. Doesn't justify it, just explains it.
Old 03-18-19, 08:45 PM
dan9100
Driver School Candidate

I have watched a few videos on replacing this fuse on Lexus and Toyota's and it does appear to be a really difficult process, but still doable. As I said before, this fuse was replaced before I purchased the car nine and half years ago and no problems until now. The wire is not just a scrap piece of copper jammed in the hole but it is a 100 amp fusible link. A fusible link is a short piece of insulated low-voltage cable within an automotive wiring harness that is designed to protect the harness in applications where a fuse is unsuitable.
My short term plan is to replace the fusible link with the correct fuse. When I do, I'll be back with an update and picture.
Old 05-18-19, 01:53 PM
dan9100
Driver School Candidate

Default 120 amp alternator fused replaced.

120amp alternator fuse replaced and all is well. Just a note that during the separation of the fuse panel, I used toothpicks to release the locking tabs. So much easier than I was expecting.
The following users liked this post:
pramod109 (05-18-19)
Old 09-27-19, 03:00 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

What does the nav screen show for hybrid battery charge, how many bars?

Quick Reply: 2006 ES 330 Starting issues