Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CA legislator proposes unrestricted Autobahn lanes between L.A., San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 10:33 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default CA legislator proposes unrestricted Autobahn lanes between L.A., San Francisco

I have a pipe dream...

---

Bill would add eight lanes to two existing highways where drivers could go WOT

California state Sen. John Moorlach has proposed building a U.S. version of Germany's unrestricted Autobahn from just north of Los Angeles to Stockton. His bill, SB-319, wouldn't need a new highway; it would add two lanes in each direction to I-5 and Highway 99. That's eight lanes in total on the two major north-south corridors in the Golden State. In any of those lanes, Moorlach said drivers could cover the distance between cities in about 2.5 hours at 100 mph.

The Republican representative of Costa Mesa said he got the idea for his bill before Gov. Gavin Newsom made recent comments seen as closing the door on California's high-speed rail project. The state broke ground on what was to be a revolutionary (for the U.S.) bullet train in 2008. Trains hitting a top speed of 220 miles per hour were meant to get passengers from L.A. to San Francisco in three hours, for half the price of a plane ticket.

Back then, projections figured a $68 billion cost and completion by 2029. By 2018, an internal audit suspected the cost was already $13 billion over budget and four years behind schedule. Earlier this month, the Los Angeles Timesput the arrears at $44 billion over budget and 13 years behind schedule. That's why Newsom, in his first State of the State speech, proposed a much smaller rail project.

Moorlach said, "We are waiting decades for high speed rail to get finished. Why can't we build 300 miles of four-lane concrete in five years at a fraction of the cost, so people aren't backed up behind trucks to get to San Francisco on the 5?" To those worried about speed-related deaths, he countered with World Health Organization stats that put traffic deaths per 100,000 people at 4.1 in Germany, 12.4 in the U.S.

Moorlach said he'd have no issue doing the drive himself in his 1996 Chevrolet Impala SS. And one thing he gets completely right: "On a clear day everyone is going 80 mph." At least. Moorlach didn't put a price tag on the project, but an outside estimate came in at $3 billion, using money from the state's cap-and-trade program.

Living in SoCal, I say there are so many enormous hurdles to laying down a safe, workable Autobahn that it would be easier to get the rail project done on time and on budget. First, the cost estimate seems quite low, based on the costs we've seen advertised on road improvement projects around the country. Germany's Autobahn is anywhere from 27 to 35 inches thick, compared to U.S. highways that are 11 inches thick, with a service life twice as long. And Germany is a fiend about highway maintenance. In California, we've seen highway improvement projects on I-5 start crumbling before the project is finished.

Germans also have a strict, lengthy licensing system, know how to drive at high speeds, have excellent lane discipline, don't pass on the right, and have their cars regularly and rigorously inspected. None of which is true for California. And good luck getting the California Highway Patrol on board.

It's no surprise, then, that the few people who would comment on the bill had anything good to say. An ex-Democratic senator remarked, "It would make more sense to invest in increased maintenance on Highway 99 and I-5, which suffer from significant deterioration due to extraordinary use, particularly from heavy-duty vehicles." And the Coalition for Clean air disparaged Moorlach's contention that speeding vehicles would emit less pollution than gridlocked cars on the highway, saying, "Emission goes up at high speeds ... and that would increase emissions coming from transportation ... the only sector where emissions are increasing in California."
Source
Old 02-21-19, 10:39 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

They might as well, I will definitely rent something more fun when I'm there quarterly if that happens
Old 02-21-19, 10:50 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Given the very low skill level of most drivers, this seems like a very bad idea.
Old 02-21-19, 11:02 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

California has the worst drivers. This would end poorly.

The level of incompetence I see everyday on the roads here is frightening.
Old 02-21-19, 11:07 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
Given the very low skill level of most drivers, this seems like a very bad idea.
I would agree. Where I live, people will come to a complete stop with a solid green light in the distance, to let someone turn left across them. Yet, I consider the people to be much better drivers where I live, than what I saw in CA. This is SoCal. I will give NorCal drivers credit in that they curb their wheels. We could be on a 70 degree hill here, and, straight ahead.
Old 02-21-19, 01:01 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

This would work in the middle of nowhere Arkansas, but in a congested city...anyways, the Unions will blow the budget out of the water and it will be built 25 years after supposed completion date.
Old 02-21-19, 01:51 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
This would work in the middle of nowhere Arkansas, but in a congested city...anyways, the Unions will blow the budget out of the water and it will be built 25 years after supposed completion date.
While a small portion of I-5 comes directly from LA, it runs a long boring straight up to outside the Bay Area (specifically Tracy). Highway 99 runs parallel to I-5 but more so in the Valley. It wouldn't be a problem, and would be welcome. The problem is the idiot drivers here who don't honor the 'left lane is the fast lane' and 'don't pass on the right' etc..
Old 02-21-19, 02:27 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

with the high speed rail plans sacked for this route, this seems like a great idea. As we learn from the Germans, nobody actually goes top speed in their cars. What we need along with this is signs to tell people to move out of the ****** left lane if they aren't passing!
Old 02-21-19, 03:15 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
with the high speed rail plans sacked for this route, this seems like a great idea. As we learn from the Germans, nobody actually goes top speed in their cars. What we need along with this is signs to tell people to move out of the ****** left lane if they aren't passing!
Agreed. Left lane driving is an American pastime. It's been an issue in every state where I've driven with the notable exception of the New Jersey Turnpike 20+ years ago. Friends told me that was just a lucky day.
Old 02-21-19, 03:20 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody who has Driven from the Bay Area to LA already knows most people go well over 100 MPH on some of those stretches anyways. My personal Best was Oakland to LA in 4 hours.
Old 02-21-19, 03:25 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

This is a bad idea. The lane discipline in the US isn't well established and passing on the right is legal. In Germany, passing on the right is heavily frowned upon and illegal. Lane discipline is heavily enforced and everyone follows these rules and it's well ingrained in their car culture. It would take years for people to relearn to drive like Germany.
Old 02-21-19, 03:37 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

time to go 200mph plus lolz
Old 02-21-19, 06:45 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a bad idea for the obvious reasons others have said. But he should call it the Mad Max Bill because that's about what would happen if California legislators ever tabled and approved such a thing, during a temporary fit of insanity. His idea is about the famous Autobahn system, but German drivers are in a completely different class than North American drivers.

Maybe some Cali posters can provide some info, but aren't there enough cheap airfares to get someone from LAX to SFO/OAK in about 90 min. for under $200? How much gas, wear and tear and assorted stress would be involved for untrained drivers to cover 400 miles at high speed? Even a lowly turboprop can zip along at 250 kts/290 mph. How fast is a Corvette going to do that distance and how much gas will it burn doing it?
Old 02-21-19, 07:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
It's a bad idea for the obvious reasons others have said. But he should call it the Mad Max Bill because that's about what would happen if California legislators ever tabled and approved such a thing, during a temporary fit of insanity. His idea is about the famous Autobahn system, but German drivers are in a completely different class than North American drivers.
And when accidents DO happen on the speed-unlimited sections of the German Autobahns, they can be absolutely horrendous with the triple-digit speeds involved. No amount of driver-training or experience (or even can overcome the laws of physics. The faster a vehicle travels, the more potential and kinetic energy it carries wth it in a crash....and the more potential for injury, death, or serious damage. That's why racing cars have so many built-in safety-devices, and why drivers wear special suits, helmets, harnesses, and crash-protective gear. You won't find that on public roads or run-of-the-mill vehicles.
Old 02-21-19, 07:44 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And when accidents DO happen on the speed-unlimited sections of the German Autobahns, they can be absolutely horrendous with the triple-digit speeds involved. No amount of driver-training or experience (or even can overcome the laws of physics. The faster a vehicle travels, the more potential and kinetic energy it carries wth it in a crash....and the more potential for injury, death, or serious damage. That's why racing cars have so many built-in safety-devices, and why drivers wear special suits, helmets, harnesses, and crash-protective gear. You won't find that on public roads or run-of-the-mill vehicles.
If anything, this senator should be advocating for "slow lanes". Lanes that are for regular drivers, RVs, truckers etc. That way our resident CL fast flyers can indulge their right to speed along at triple digit speeds on public highways.

"Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?" George Carlin

Quick Reply: CA legislator proposes unrestricted Autobahn lanes between L.A., San Francisco