Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

04 RX400h - ABS actuator 'bark' and rear brakes not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 09:16 AM
sdclique
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 04 RX400h - ABS actuator 'bark' and rear brakes not engaging

Hi Club Lexus,

I recently picked up a 2006 RX400h with 134k miles. I noticed the rear rotors are very rusted and the rear calipers do not seem to be fully engaging - if at all. If I firmly depress the brake pedal (even at a complete stop) the ABS actuator/pump 'barks'. I don't have any check engine or warning lights. It also makes the 'barking' noise under more abrupt braking while the vehicle is in motion. The brake fluid looks like it needs to be changed, so I'd like to try and bleed everything and refill first. I'm wondering if a previous mechanic tried to bleed the brakes but didn't follow the proper procedure and somehow/accidentally disabled the rear brakes? Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation and found success by just flushing the fluid? Could someone please share the proper procedure for bleeding the brakes? I know I'll need to get the Toyota Techstream software and cable to even begin the procedure... any other advice or insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Old 02-22-19, 04:06 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Please read this thread, lots of info
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...extension.html
I too want to do the flush, but a little scared. Toyota offered to bleed brakes a few years ago for around $160.
Old 03-08-19, 10:07 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sdclique
Hi Club Lexus,

I recently picked up a 2006 RX400h with 134k miles. I noticed the rear rotors are very rusted and the rear calipers do not seem to be fully engaging - if at all. If I firmly depress the brake pedal (even at a complete stop) the ABS actuator/pump 'barks'. I don't have any check engine or warning lights. It also makes the 'barking' noise under more abrupt braking while the vehicle is in motion. The brake fluid looks like it needs to be changed, so I'd like to try and bleed everything and refill first. I'm wondering if a previous mechanic tried to bleed the brakes but didn't follow the proper procedure and somehow/accidentally disabled the rear brakes? Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation and found success by just flushing the fluid? Could someone please share the proper procedure for bleeding the brakes? I know I'll need to get the Toyota Techstream software and cable to even begin the procedure... any other advice or insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
I am in the same boat with my 2006 Highlander Hybrid. Not sure if you are aware but these vehicles were known for actuators that were prone to failure. Toyota extended the warranty period for them but I have past that. Mine failed when I pushed back the rear calipers to replace the pads without opening the bleeder valve to relieve pressure. I followed this same procedure on all my non-hybrid cars and my 2012 HS250H with no issues. On my highlander, the dashboard lit up like a christmas tree and my left rear caliper stopped working. Toyota diagnosed brake actuator failure and quoted me $2,300 for repair. I have since obtained the Techstream software and cable connector but I have yet found the time to connect to the car and see what it tells me. Apparently the brake bleeding procedure must be done using Techstream and is tedious. I prefer tedious to a $2,300 repair!!!!! I wish I had posted a question regarding brake replacement on this car but, like I said, never had an issue with the Lexus HS250H. I know they are different vehicles but a similar design hybrid system except for the all wheel drive. I am now going to ask questions before I do ANYTHING to this hybrid.
The procedure for bleeding the brakes I believe you can find in these forums OR a Toyota forum. Hope this info helps and Good luck!!!
Old 03-08-19, 10:18 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

It's $150 well spent.
Aftermarket or bootlegged techstream is known to be non or partially functional. Plus, you must have good Mongus cable to come along.
Folks do sign for several days trial with TS to do a quick job with OEM s/w.

But either way. This is lesson to everyone who has drive by wire car with drive by wire brakes. DO NOT DIY brake bleeding, unless you have proper equipment and Know How. Procedure is 2 pages of steps to follow. It is not just hybrids. Wife's 2011 RX350 has brake actuator as it is drive by wire car. So dealership it is.
On new models, with e-brake module added to the rear brakes, you can't even replace brake pads DIY anymore. That also requires TS to do.
Old 03-08-19, 10:20 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

colenzae, you didn't damage brake actuator because you didn't open bleeder screws. You damaged brake actuator because valves it it were not operated by scanner.
Old 03-09-19, 05:20 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
colenzae, you didn't damage brake actuator because you didn't open bleeder screws. You damaged brake actuator because valves it it were not operated by scanner.
So how could I have prevented actuator damage? Is there a procedure to replace brake pads using Techstream that would have prevented actuator damage?? Any why did this not happen on HS250H? I'd like to learn so I can prevent this from occurring again. I do have a copy of Techstream and a OBDII cable that I purchased on Amazon. I have yet to connect it to the Highlander but I am looking forward to becoming more proficient it repairing these vehicles.
Old 03-09-19, 03:40 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

I just did my 60K service and purged the brake fluid and did not need any thing other than a helper and turkey baster and plenty of new fluid. Have the helper push the brake pedal and hold while you open the bleeder long enough o let the old fluid out. No need to pump as the electrical pump just keeps emptying the master reservoir. [note no cylinder]

Salim
Old 03-13-19, 07:43 AM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Anyone daring enough to change out their actuator? I found this. https://www.autozone.com/repairguide...96b43f80381870

There is a Rx400h in the car junkyard I might ask how much the part is worth.
Old 04-08-19, 04:51 AM
MrBill400x
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try it?
Old 04-08-19, 05:08 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I just did my 60K service and purged the brake fluid and did not need any thing other than a helper and turkey baster and plenty of new fluid. Have the helper push the brake pedal and hold while you open the bleeder long enough o let the old fluid out. No need to pump as the electrical pump just keeps emptying the master reservoir. [note no cylinder]

Salim
So you just had the helper push on pedal to bleed off the old fluid, than move to next wheel? I assume you did the turkey baster to remove most fluid from the master reservoir.