NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

It took a few days, but i found something I don't like on my NX

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 06:10 AM
NXNoob
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It took a few days, but i found something I don't like on my NX

I dont know if Toyota/Lexus occasionally reads these forums, but if they do, please pay attention.

Why in the world does my Lexus have a gas cap? These days even regular Honda models have eliminated a gas cap in favor of self-closing opening for the fuel. Additionally, the panel can be opened by simply pressing on it. Why? Even on an old Corolla I used to own it could only be opened by a small lever on the floor next to the drivers seat. That is a more secure option rather than allowing any random passersby to just open it up and could dump some crap down my fuel tank if they so desired.

What's the reasoning behind this?
Old 02-21-19, 06:13 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I believe when the car is locked, the fuel door is also locked. This is common on many cars these days.
Old 02-21-19, 06:14 AM
NXNoob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I believe when the car is locked, the fuel door is also locked. This is common on many cars these days.
Hmm ok, I did not know this. I'll verify this later and if it turns out I'm wrong, I'll recant what I posted.
Old 02-21-19, 06:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Seems domestic cars don't lock the fuel door at all, was never sure why. My uncle stated it's likely because in this day and age, it's not practical to attempt to siphon fuel out (but at the same time, couldn't someone pour water in to mess up the vehicle?).

But still, why wouldn't the door be locked? I remember in the Dallas Galleria, there was a decked out Escalade on display. I said to my coworker (this had to be 2012), watch, the car is locked, but I'll open the fuel door, and I did.

I tried to figure out the logic with BMW and actually nobody on the forum knew or wanted to get that deep. I fill up in NJ, full service only. So when I roll into a station, my doors are locked. How come, the fuel door can be pressed and opened, as opposed to when the car is parked, the fuel door is locked? It's not as simple as following the condition of the doors. People in self-serve states assumed the fuel door was not locked, because their car was not locked, i.e. they unlocked their door to get out, to pump the fuel. What would make sense, is that when the car is unlocked to get in, the fuel door stays unlocked, until the car is locked again in a parking, not a driving, scenario. I'm going to have someone cling to my trunk as I drive, to verify.

At any rate, I think it makes sense to push the door and it toggles open, and closed, as opposed to having a release, which is an unnecessary extra step, like in the LS430.
Old 02-21-19, 08:39 AM
NXNoob
Driver School Candidate

Ok I have verified my fuel door does lock whenever the vehicle itself is locked so I am pleased with that. I am curious though why they chose to continue using a gas cap when there are other solutions available now.
Old 02-21-19, 12:24 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Here's a very philosophical answer to your question. Though, personally, I find that fuel door just hilariously ridiculous and having no idea, what possessed them to design it that way. It's neither modern, nor cool, nor some sort of advanced design.
But here's my answer:

Point to this posted here is simple. What actually costs more money? We do what costs LESS money. We are not VW, that will make and sell Veyron for less than it costs to make one.
And by the way. How do you like dash trim reflection on the windshield?
Old 02-21-19, 12:47 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

What’s the dash trim reflection issue? I haven’t experienced that one.
Old 02-21-19, 06:48 PM
EminentNX
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats correct, the gas door is locked once the car is locked. When you walk away and forget to lock your vehicle, it will lock automatically. Pretty secure- I am very happy.
Old 02-21-19, 08:36 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ross7777
What’s the dash trim reflection issue? I haven’t experienced that one.
Look at the windshield right above the infotainment screen when going under a street light at night.
Old 02-23-19, 07:01 PM
tincan13
Driver

Originally Posted by NXNoob
Ok I have verified my fuel door does lock whenever the vehicle itself is locked so I am pleased with that. I am curious though why they chose to continue using a gas cap when there are other solutions available now.
To keep the gas tank pressurized. Your "Check Engine" light comes on if you either drive without a cap or a loose cap.