IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

(2017 IS 200t) ok to drive in Normal mode at start up?

Old 02-20-19, 01:02 PM
lapiel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (2017 IS 200t) ok to drive in Normal mode at start up?

Hi guys!My first post I have a question for all of you. So, I have heard that you shouldn’t drive the car in sport mode at start up until your car temperature is at the half way point or else your are going to damaging the engine because of the turbo. So is ok to start up the car and drive it in Normal Mode because I drive it in Eco Mode until it warms up half way than go to normal mode. Am I just over thinking it or what? Have any of you had problems because you drove your car in normal mode at start up?Thank you.
Old 02-20-19, 01:32 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,485 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Originally Posted by lapiel
Hi guys!My first post I have a question for all of you. So, I have heard that you shouldn’t drive the car in sport mode at start up until your car temperature is at the half way point or else your are going to damaging the engine because of the turbo. So is ok to start up the car and drive it in Normal Mode because I drive it in Eco Mode until it warms up half way than go to normal mode. Am I just over thinking it or what? Have any of you had problems because you drove your car in normal mode at start up?Thank you.
First post? Welcome!

You can drive the car in any mode when starting up. Think of it this way - there's nothing about Eco Mode that will stop you from flooring it while the engine is cold. I agree with the philosophy though. On my IS 300 AWD I usually don't turn on Sport mode until the car has had 10 or so minutes of driving to warm up. However, that isn't to say there is anything wrong with turning on Sport when it's cold.
Old 02-20-19, 02:18 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

I also give about 10 minute warm up. Until then I try to keep rpms close to 2k under 3k. Any drive mode is fine but that's more easily achieved in normal or eco mode.
Old 02-21-19, 08:51 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Mode has nothing to do with your startup and won't do anything at all on a cold engine vs. other modes.

Also for the record, "warming up" your car is not necessary and is even detrimental to your engine health, environment health. The best thing to do as soon as you start it is drive. 10 second max, if any warmup at all.

I personally give 2-3 seconds then drop it in drive.
Old 02-21-19, 09:20 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Mode has nothing to do with your startup and won't do anything at all on a cold engine vs. other modes.

Also for the record, "warming up" your car is not necessary and is even detrimental to your engine health, environment health. The best thing to do as soon as you start it is drive. 10 second max, if any warmup at all.

Pease elaborate.
When you start the car the idle is higher, being that it is accelerating the initial warm up phase before you drive. This typically lasts up to 1 minute. It seems common knowledge that a few minutes of warmup is beneficial to the engine. I've always, and will continue, to allow the car to idle a couple minutes before driving. But I'm intrigued to hear more on your take as to how that's not a good idea, I've heard other's take on it but didn't sound too reliable.

And when I say 10 minute warm up I mean driving time while keeping rpms around 2k.
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (02-25-19)
Old 02-21-19, 09:25 AM
arentz07
drives cars

I think you're talking about a different issue. The OP is saying they keep the car in Eco for a few minutes while driving.

The answer to the original question, in summary, is yes. Normal mode is fine. I'd say that's what most people are doing. Either Normal or Eco, since Sport mode gets automatically reverted back to Normal when the car is shut off.
Old 02-21-19, 11:21 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

I wait until the car stops it’s cold start cycle which takes it about like 30-45 seconds. Once it makes the engine noise where it drops it down to 1K, I put it in drive and go.
Old 02-21-19, 11:57 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Pease elaborate.
When you start the car the idle is higher, being that it is accelerating the initial warm up phase before you drive. This typically lasts up to 1 minute. It seems common knowledge that a few minutes of warmup is beneficial to the engine. I've always, and will continue, to allow the car to idle a couple minutes before driving. But I'm intrigued to hear more on your take as to how that's not a good idea, I've heard other's take on it but didn't sound too reliable.

And when I say 10 minute warm up I mean driving time while keeping rpms around 2k.
After I got my first car, I took an automotive course at the local community college (mid-80s), and this is one of the things I remember from it -- despite what most think, "warm-up" is not necessary. As E46CT said, just start 'er up and drive away. It's just an old long-standing tradition, would seem.
Old 02-21-19, 12:19 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

I'm not mistaken. W/ respect to warm up, I'm replying to post #3.

A lot of people "warm her up in the mornins'" thinking they're babying the car.

Basically a cold engine wears more. In addition, cold oil doesn't protect as well. The faster you get your engine up to opertaing temp, the minimum time you spend spinning it cold. Putting load (driving it gently) is the fastest way to warm up an engine.

This brings to point 2. The catalytic converter is most efficient when hot. That happens quickest--again--when the car is driven and has load on it. You want to start your car up and immediately drive.

This method is backed by BMW and is recommended to NOT let the car idle to warm up.

I used to preach this for over 10 years on the BMW forum.

Turns out engineering explained did a video on this a year or so ago.

For me no more than 10 seconds. and that's really only to put my seat belt on.

Think of the Prius too, the most efficient car in Toyota's aresenal. along with all the lexus hybrids. its ICE engines start and load up immediately as you are already driving. There's no waiting. It starts and immediately has load on it. Those engines go 600k and beyond.

Warming up a modern car by idling it doesn't do it any favors. just wastes gas.
Old 02-21-19, 12:35 PM
lapiel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, guys, for all your responses! Now I feel much better about my car. It feels good to know I am not the only one waiting to go on Normal mode till my baby is warm
Old 02-21-19, 01:19 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
I wait until the car stops it’s cold start cycle which takes it about like 30-45 seconds. Once it makes the engine noise where it drops it down to 1K, I put it in drive and go.
^Exact same way i've been starting my car everr since the 2IS.

Newer engines dont require the long " warm up" times like before. Engineering speaking, the oils need to flow and lubricate all the pistons rings etc etc etc and thats best achieved driving the vehicle rather than at an idle. Just dont gun it on a cold engine.

Old 02-21-19, 01:24 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

A lot of people "warm her up in the mornins'" thinking they're babying the car.

Basically a cold engine wears more. In addition, cold oil doesn't protect as well. The faster you get your engine up to opertaing temp, the minimum time you spend spinning it cold. Putting load (driving it gently) is the fastest way to warm up an engine.

This brings to point 2. The catalytic converter is most efficient when hot. That happens quickest--again--when the car is driven and has load on it. You want to start your car up and immediately drive.

This method is backed by BMW and is recommended to NOT let the car idle to warm up.

I used to preach this for over 10 years on the BMW forum.

Turns out engineering explained did a video on this a year or so ago.

For me no more than 10 seconds. and that's really only to put my seat belt on.

Think of the Prius too, the most efficient car in Toyota's aresenal. along with all the lexus hybrids. its ICE engines start and load up immediately as you are already driving. There's no waiting. It starts and immediately has load on it. Those engines go 600k and beyond.

Warming up a modern car by idling it doesn't do it any favors. just wastes gas.
i think it’s climat dependent. A guy is California is not “warming up” his car the way I am, in Canada, on a -40 degrees winter day so cold my nav screen and hvac buttons barely work. In cold weather I always give the vehicle a few min to warm up. You want the oil and transfluid to warm up a bit before you take off... usually 5 min warm up on a cold day. The rest of the year I just wait maybe 15-30 seconds than go. Also I don’t drive it fast till it’s reached operating temperate which is half way on the temperature gauge.
Old 02-21-19, 02:38 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Ah ok. Next time you think it would be a good idea to quote what you're replying to? Besides, HOMER didn't say anything about idling until after you replied. Maybe you guys are reading each other's mind. Either way, the 10-minute warm up obviously meant while driving; what kind of a psycho idles their 2010-era car for 10 whole minutes before driving it?

Just to clarify, I 100% agree, anything more than say 10 seconds, even on a cold day, is just wasting time and gas. Maybe if you have to send a quick text before shifting into park, let it sit, lol. That's more than enough. The idea of warming up the engine while idling is outdated and mostly benefits carbureted engines.
Old 02-21-19, 04:04 PM
jnesss
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

*about to reverse*

hold on, i need to put it into sport+ first.
Old 02-21-19, 05:23 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

It's normal to start up and go in Normal Mode. You can start in any mode you want, but the vehicle will not start in Sport even if that was the last setting. I assume for eco reasons.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: (2017 IS 200t) ok to drive in Normal mode at start up?