LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Made the mistake of driving a Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-19, 04:45 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Made the mistake of driving a Model 3

More and more Teslas are showing up in the parking lot at work. A colleague let me test drive her dual-motor, long-range Model 3 today and it is a phenomenal car, so much so that I am seriously contemplating trading in our LS for a Model S. The instant torque and quick acceleration is reminiscent of the LS600hL. What surprised me most was the ride quality and build quality. There were no creaks nor rattles and I honestly felt it rode as well as our LS on the same roads I am familiar with. The LS is quieter on the freeway but around town the Model 3 is every bit as serene. I planned to keep the LS for 10+ years but am now ready to jump ship, after less than two years, to a used Model S (only because the Model 3 felt a little cramped to me). I was perfectly happy with my LS and thinking the only thing better would be a long-wheelbase version, but then I was looking on fuelly.com and realized I spend $3100 a year on gas! Even though insurance would be 50% higher going from our 2013 LS to a 2014 Model S, overall we would actually save money and break even after four years. We would be giving up so many amenities of our Ultra Luxury package but I honestly would rather have a Model S if it performs anything like the Model 3 I drove today. I can't believe how dissatisfying it was to drive my beloved LS right after the Model 3! I am trying to take some time to keep things in perspective and appreciate that I am still driving a very fine car, but the Tesla has left an indelible imprint on my psyche and car-nut soul.
Old 02-19-19, 04:48 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Consumer Reports reliability ratings for the Model S have gone way down since it was introduced.
Old 02-19-19, 04:53 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Consumer Reports reliability ratings for the Model S have gone way down since it was introduced.
Well gosh dang it, I thought Elon was getting better with practice. I will have to do more research and at least get up close to one to see how the interior feels. I found the Model 3 front seats to be very comfortable but the seatbacks in the rear are too upright for my comfort. Thanks for the heads up, sktn77a, and reminder that reliability still is a priority for us. The thought of no more oil changes, air fikters, and routine maintenance sounded so appealing, especially the thought of not paying for gas anymore.
Old 02-19-19, 05:12 PM
REC911
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont think I would get a Tesla until they start making money without all the corporate welfare they have gotten. You could get stuck with a car nobody wants if they ever go under. my 2 cents. Good for them for making a good product tho!
Old 02-19-19, 05:34 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Old 02-19-19, 05:42 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by REC911
I dont think I would get a Tesla until they start making money without all the corporate welfare they have gotten. You could get stuck with a car nobody wants if they ever go under. my 2 cents. Good for them for making a good product tho!
I did consider this too but think, or rather hope, that another autoaker or company would jump at the chance to buy up Tesla's IP and infrastructure in the event of a bankruptcy.
Old 02-19-19, 06:05 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Lol, failed battery click bait! Good one. He is bored of it already?!?!
Old 02-19-19, 06:22 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
More and more Teslas are showing up in the parking lot at work. A colleague let me test drive her dual-motor, long-range Model 3 today and it is a phenomenal car, so much so that I am seriously contemplating trading in our LS for a Model S. ....
For me the lack of a dealer network and the sometimes difficulty of repairing them would give me pause having one as my only car. I would keep the LS for a while just in case you find there are times when a gas powered car is still needed.
Old 02-19-19, 07:02 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

hat surprised me most was the ride quality and build quality
Interesting observation on the build quality. That's the one thing I found glaringly lacking when I sat in it. I didn't DRIVE it mind you. But I remember thinking that the quality of materials was inferior to what I was used to. I assumed at the time, that this was due to attempts to save weight, due to the need to shave pounds because of the batteries. What I did like though was the look and feel of the cabin. Very modern and sleek. It jsut seemed though like everything was "pretty"... but light and weak. I will say that one of my partners has one and she LOVES it.

As others expressed, it seems a bit of a risk right now to invest in a Tesla. Even the local news here in Canada was reporting on the latest reliability woes as well as the financial issues.
Old 02-19-19, 07:37 PM
REC911
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Roadfrog,
I followed your post about the hesitation issue over the years. I just now see you sold your LS. My 07 has the issue and tried several things to cure it with no 100% success. Is this why you got rid of yours? Seems like you had a workaround with a Toyota additive. I appreciate all the info you have shared over the years about the issue though.
Old 02-20-19, 04:34 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Lol, failed battery click bait! Good one. He is bored of it already?!?!
He generally has a fleet of 15-20 cars in his possession at any one time, so he tends to get rid of cars on a regular basis. His luxury cruiser at the moment is a Rolls Royce Phantom
Old 02-20-19, 09:39 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

I drove a friend's Model X P100 and was very impressed. It has the polar opposite of hesitation - you floor it and BOOM - you are going 75MPH in a flash (It does 0-60 in 3.3). Lots of technology and neat features, but very, very expensive to fix and questionable long-term reliability. I plan to buy one in the future, after there are lots of 100k+ mile examples to prove major component reliability, coupled with sufficient depreciation to be more affordable (plus availability of battery and motor upgrades to improve range).

For a city car or for trips shorter than 100 miles, it's an easy decision. But for 400-500 mile trips, the time you spend sitting waiting to charge begins to exceed what you would normally spend in stops while driving an LS on the same trip.
Old 02-20-19, 09:59 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Tec80
I drove a friend's Model X P100 and was very impressed. It has the polar opposite of hesitation - you floor it and BOOM - you are going 75MPH in a flash (It does 0-60 in 3.3). Lots of technology and neat features, but very, very expensive to fix and questionable long-term reliability. I plan to buy one in the future, after there are lots of 100k+ mile examples to prove major component reliability, coupled with sufficient depreciation to be more affordable (plus availability of battery and motor upgrades to improve range).

For a city car or for trips shorter than 100 miles, it's an easy decision. But for 400-500 mile trips, the time you spend sitting waiting to charge begins to exceed what you would normally spend in stops while driving an LS on the same trip.
It is just amazing how the auto landscape has changed. I remember daydreaming of an NSX while in high-school, a 1999 NSX-T Zanardi edition. Now we have non-gas vehicles that easily eclipse the acceleration of the NSX, without breaking the bank (at least for a used one). I too would rather have a Model X but a used one is still beyond our budget. Interestingly, I've seen comparisons that show a Model S having more cargo carrying capacity than the X, and maybe even more people carrying too if one is willing to get the jump seats. In any case, I am very impressed by Teslas in general.

The drive units do seem to have reliability issues with the bearings in early years, but many have been replaced by upgraded units under warranty. I know door handles can be an expensive problem too when they refuse to slide out, but again, that is supposed to be less common after 2014+. The consumer reports charts do paint a pretty dismal picture of reliability, especially when the LS is included in the same chart, lol. I am still researching more to see how much sense it makes to get the Model S now. At the rate I drive, if I have to fix the LS air suspension then the Model S breaks even in just three years instead of four years. On top of that, the used Teslas I'm looking at will have half, or less than half, of the miles I currently have on the LS. We will see how things go as I enjoyed the commute this morning in the LS...but yea, that instant torque and speed of a Tesla is intoxicating. Technically, a regular S 85 is not any faster, 0-60, than our LS but the torque makes driveability much more fun.
Old 02-20-19, 04:28 PM
mmalik
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

More and more Teslas are showing up in the parking lot at work. A colleague let me test drive her dual-motor, long-range Model 3 today and it is a phenomenal car, so much so that I am seriously contemplating trading in our LS for a Model S. The instant torque and quick acceleration is reminiscent of the LS600hL. What surprised me most was the ride quality and build quality. There were no creaks nor rattles and I honestly felt it rode as well as our LS on the same roads I am familiar with. The LS is quieter on the freeway but around town the Model 3 is every bit as serene. I planned to keep the LS for 10+ years but am now ready to jump ship, after less than two years, to a used Model S (only because the Model 3 felt a little cramped to me). I was perfectly happy with my LS and thinking the only thing better would be a long-wheelbase version, but then I was looking on fuelly.com and realized I spend $3100 a year on gas! Even though insurance would be 50% higher going from our 2013 LS to a 2014 Model S, overall we would actually save money and break even after four years. We would be giving up so many amenities of our Ultra Luxury package but I honestly would rather have a Model S if it performs anything like the Model 3 I drove today. I can't believe how dissatisfying it was to drive my beloved LS right after the Model 3! I am trying to take some time to keep things in perspective and appreciate that I am still driving a very fine car, but the Tesla has left an indelible imprint on my psyche and car-nut soul.
@FatherTo1 I understand you dilemma - I currently own a 2007 LS460 and 2018 Tesla Model S and I can easily describe the differences between the two vehicles.
- LS by all means is a Luxury vehicle. Tesla Model S (MS) is a sports sedan.
- LS suspension is very soft and I bearly feel any bump on the road. MS suspension is very sporty and very responsive and you feel like driving a sports car.
- LS acceleration, to me, is tasteful and gracious. MS is aggressive and cocky.

Now when it comes to gas, of course, MS does not take any gas and Lexus is not shy when it comes to gas. But, again, how much gas is an issue. Do someone who owns an LS really care about gas?

Overall, I think LS and MS are two completely different class vehicle. LS is luxury at its best and MS is sporty sedan with best technology. I wish Tesla and Lexus to combine and make the best technologically advanced luxury vehicle that the world has yet to see.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (02-20-19)
Old 02-20-19, 04:41 PM
lizhekb
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Model S is sporty and has more technology feel. But when it comes to reliability it may not have a chance comparing to LS. The recent model 3 even has paint and assembly issues, poor build quality.

Electric car is the future, but it has not come yet. Tesla and Musk are strange combination to me.

I was fascinated by the acceleration of the S too. But later I ask myself how often will I floor it?

Quick Reply: Made the mistake of driving a Model 3