ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Finally got to drive an ES

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-19, 06:25 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Finally got to drive an ES

So I needed to get my radar installed at my dealership and was heading to the gym so they gave me a loaner. I got an ES and I must see it drives way better than the outgoing ES. There is definitely torque steer when you floor it which is expected with a FWD car. The car looks really good inside compared to the older ES. I think Lexus did a good job with the design, was really impressed by it. My father had a ES so I can recall the difference and its gotten better that's for sure. I think if they really do come out with an AWD model it would be perfect for this car. The only issue I noticed was when I slammed the door there was a hollow sound, I think that was the only issue I encountered.
Old 02-18-19, 06:35 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,336 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Interesting your comment about the door. My FSport has a solid pinpoint sound when you close the door. I wouood expect the same from the non FSport.
Old 02-18-19, 06:45 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Interesting your comment about the door. My FSport has a solid pinpoint sound when you close the door. I wouood expect the same from the non FSport.
Maybe it was because it was a loaner but it sounded hollow, I tested it a couple times to make sure. This loaner also had about 4000 miles on it.
Old 02-18-19, 08:56 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The front doors of the redesigned Camry also have a hollow sound when closed hard. The rear doors have the traditional deep thunk.
Old 02-18-19, 11:28 PM
DY31
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Maybe it was because it was a loaner but it sounded hollow, I tested it a couple times to make sure. This loaner also had about 4000 miles on it.
It’s not just the case with a loaner vehicle. I had to damp my doors to get rid of the hollow sound. If you’ll look closely you can see the sheet metal vibrate when it is closed. It’s because the sheet metal is not attached to the crash beam inside the door and acts as a giant speaker when we close it. I had to damp the door to get rid of the sound.
Old 02-18-19, 11:36 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by DY31

It’s not just the case with a loaner vehicle. I had to damp my doors to get rid of the hollow sound. If you’ll look closely you can see the sheet metal vibrate when it is closed. It’s because the sheet metal is not attached to the crash beam inside the door and acts as a giant speaker when we close it. I had to damp the door to get rid of the sound.
What do you mean by "damp the door"? How do you do that?
Old 02-18-19, 11:57 PM
DY31
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jimv1983
What do you mean by "damp the door"? How do you do that?

By damping the door i was reffering to using adhesive sheets which sticks to sheet metal.

I have ML sound system in my ES. And this small piece of damping sheet was installed by Lexus.

Generic Damping sheet. One side is adhesive and other side is aluminium.

Covered inner layer of the door.

Covered inner door panel.

Now, the metal of the door does not vibrate from the resonant frequency produced by the woofer improving bass response and also providing “thunk” sound when we close the door.
Old 02-19-19, 12:07 AM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

By damping the door i was reffering to using adhesive sheets which sticks to sheet metal.

I have ML sound system in my ES. And this small piece of damping sheet was installed by Lexus.

Now, the metal of the door does not vibrate from the resonant frequency produced by the woofer improving bass response and also providing “thunk” sound when we close the door.
That looks like a pain in the ***.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimv1983:
bdroc (06-24-21), Seankim513 (06-27-19)
Old 02-19-19, 12:15 AM
DY31
Driver School Candidate

It really was! Had many cuts and bruises on my fingers . My other car is W212 E-class, so i was quite used to it's vault like door closing sound and was quite fed up with the doors of the ES.
Old 02-21-19, 04:03 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I think if they really do come out with an AWD model it would be perfect for this car.
Would it be possible to make an AWD ES, but also keep the same rear interior room? Especially the floor portion in the rear, directly behind the front seats.
Old 02-21-19, 04:29 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,336 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
Would it be possible to make an AWD ES, but also keep the same rear interior room? Especially the floor portion in the rear, directly behind the front seats.
I suspect the current body is ready for AWD and that's why there's a large hump in the back middle of the floor. Me - I don't need it and don't want it.
The following users liked this post:
MSterling (02-23-19)
Old 02-21-19, 04:43 PM
SCbarber
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Supposedly its coming in 2020, I don't need or want it either and besides, it will just add to the price.
Old 02-21-19, 10:32 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I suspect the current body is ready for AWD and that's why there's a large hump in the back middle of the floor. Me - I don't need it and don't want it.
Originally Posted by SCbarber
Supposedly its coming in 2020, I don't need or want it either and besides, it will just add to the price.
Thank you.

I don't need the hunp itself. But I like the overall space behind the rear drivers' seat, and passenger's seat.

I've been able to transport things in that space, that I couldn't do if the space was smaller.
Old 02-22-19, 04:57 AM
ES63
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

That is one thing i did notice too ,was the res freq rattle from some bass freq .with some songs that did cause a internal or panel vibration in the door . quite annoying.
Old 02-22-19, 05:50 AM
bigblack06

Its coming in 2020 and you wont lose as much as you think it should go unnoticed. The ES needs to be AWD its whats missing, would make way better to drive.

Quick Reply: Finally got to drive an ES