GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Pulls to the left and environmental fan making high pitched electrical noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-19, 01:53 PM
Aseweepay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulls to the left and environmental fan making high pitched electrical noise

I did a search and found threads on the fan making different noises, but nothing like this.

2018 GS350F-sport with less than 500 miles on it.

When I took the car into the dealer, I told them I may be a little paranoid since it’s a new car, but that it seems to be drifting to the left, mostly noticed on the highway. I know some cars/tires can follow the crown of the road, but didn’t know if this car does it since this is the first GS I’ve owned. Ends up that they swapped the front tires around, and both the camber and toe-in were off, which surprised them and me, being it’s a brand new car with now less than 500 miles on it. It seemed great for a few days, now, if I’m on the highway and let go of the wheel the car drifts to the left, if I straighten the wheel, it drifts left....In other words, I need constant right pressure on the steering wheel to drive straight. I’ll have to take it back to the dealer to have them recheck the alignment, but seems strange for a brand new car to have this happen, especially after they just did a 4 wheel alignment.

On the fan issue, I get in the car, press “auto” for climate, and then sometimes, there is a very high pitched electrical sound. It’s not real loud, with the radio on, you obviously can’t hear it, but sitting in silence, it’s definitely making noise. I haven’t narrowed down whether it only happens with it’s really cold etc, it’s intermittent at this point. Sometimes I hear it after a while with the climate on, sometimes it’s right away. I’ve changed fan speeds while hearing it and it doesn’t go away.....A buddy of mine sat in the car yesterday, and when I heard it I asked him, and he definitely heard it, also. It kind of sounds like when you fly an old airplane with unshielded ignition and your wearing a headset hooked into a portable radio....a high pitched electrical whine.

Last edited by Aseweepay; 02-18-19 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-18-19, 01:59 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Did you happen to hit a pothole at some point since your in the rust belt? Our roads are terrible in Illinois.
Old 02-18-19, 02:03 PM
Aseweepay
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, forgot to mention that, no, no potholes....
Old 02-18-19, 02:43 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

So after they crossed the front tires and aligned it was fine for a while.
Then started drifting left again?

Take a pic of the Alignment sheet and post it here if you can.

No clue on the blower noise.
What did they say about this issue?
Old 02-18-19, 02:47 PM
kode3
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

I just got a lease return 2015 in January and I noticed the same fan noise you describe... I'll give me dealer a call and see what they say.
Old 02-18-19, 03:44 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

The fan noise might be the small cooling fan for the radio head unit. Or the seat cooling fans. Try turning them off. Somebody on here had that small PC-type fan go bad and make noises, hope this helps.

edit... If you thin it's the climate control fan then open the glove box and take off the a/c filter door. Then pull out the filter. The "hamster wheel" for the blower motor is right there. You should be able to hear if it's the blower motor.

Last edited by jkeller; 02-18-19 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-18-19, 06:12 PM
SpicedRum
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeller
The fan noise might be the small cooling fan for the radio head unit. Or the seat cooling fans. Try turning them off. Somebody on here had that small PC-type fan go bad and make noises, hope this helps.

edit... If you thin it's the climate control fan then open the glove box and take off the a/c filter door. Then pull out the filter. The "hamster wheel" for the blower motor is right there. You should be able to hear if it's the blower motor.
That's what I would suggest too. Turn off radio and seats to listen for noise, or lack of, in those areas. Then test fan noise with cabin air filter out. My GS is new too, so I don't have any issues, but I used to get leaves and junk in there on other cars that would lead to excessive noise. I used to take a flexible hose and attach to a vacuum to extract the debris. Each time I had noise this was the problem.
Old 02-19-19, 01:58 PM
Aseweepay
Driver School Candidate

Huh, I typed a reply yesterday and it didn’t post. Thanks for all the reply(s). I looked today and they didn’t give me an alignment sheet. The car drove straight and true for a few days after the alignment, now I need to hold continuous “right” pressure in order to not drift left on the highway. I’m pretty sure that it’s the environmental fan making the noise, it does change a little as I increase or decrease the fan speed. I’m leaving town for the next two weeks, so will need to get with the dealer when I get back and I’ll let you know what they say.....other than those issues, I like the car, I’m really surprised and disappointed to have any problems with a brand new Lexus....
Old 02-19-19, 03:12 PM
davyboygs
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe that the fan noise is normal. My 2015 makes the same sound when the seat heaters are on high in cold weather. The sound disappears after the vehicle interior warms up.
Old 02-19-19, 04:02 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by daveruble
I believe that the fan noise is normal. My 2015 makes the same sound when the seat heaters are on high in cold weather. The sound disappears after the vehicle interior warms up.
Heated seats are accomplished by the heating elements in the seats, which do not make any noise. The fans are used to ventilate the seats during hot weather, and the fan noise can definitely be heard when leaning forward whenever the seat ventilation system is running.
Old 02-21-19, 04:04 PM
warmdye
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2015 makes the fan noise too. It has done it since I've had it only when very cold outside.
The following users liked this post:
kode3 (02-21-19)
Old 02-22-19, 11:22 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The fans are used to ventilate the seats during hot weather, and the fan noise can definitely be heard when leaning forward whenever the seat ventilation system is running.
I always forget about the noise.
Sometimes I reach for something, and the fan gets louder, and alarm bells in my head go off: "What's that noise??"

Relax, brain...it's that thing you know about already. Just listen to the music.
Old 03-10-19, 05:07 PM
Aseweepay
Driver School Candidate

So, I finally got back into town and took the car back to the dealership. They checked the car for a four wheel alignment, and the car was well within specs. They said that the GS is very sensitive to the crowning in the road, so that is how they are explaining the “left drifting tendency.”

As far as the fan noise, they agreed with me that the blower fan is too loud, and they are ordering a new one to replace it this week. I’m feeling like I got a lemon of a car, I’m hoping that’s not the case. I just turned 800 miles on it, so it’s still brand new.
Old 03-10-19, 06:59 PM
ahsm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aseweepay
So, I finally got back into town and took the car back to the dealership. They checked the car for a four wheel alignment, and the car was well within specs. They said that the GS is very sensitive to the crowning in the road, so that is how they are explaining the “left drifting tendency.”

As far as the fan noise, they agreed with me that the blower fan is too loud, and they are ordering a new one to replace it this week. I’m feeling like I got a lemon of a car, I’m hoping that’s not the case. I just turned 800 miles on it, so it’s still brand new.
I have a 13 luxury awd and it's been driving my crazy how my car always pulls to the right, I got brand new tires and alignment 3 times and still pulls to the left and I have to maintain slight pressure on the wheel to make it go straight. The dealer got the shop foreman to drive with me and drove my car too and said it's normal and within spec. I still believe they are wrong and it's driving me insane. I had them inspect the whole suspension of the car and they said everything is fine, rim shop checked the rims and said they are straight and not bent... the shop foreman said the same thing that these cars are very sensitive to the groves in the road
Old 05-17-19, 01:00 PM
DZI
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone found a solution to the "left pull" on the GS350? I have a 2014 F Sport and it pulls to the left when I drive on the highway also.

Quick Reply: Pulls to the left and environmental fan making high pitched electrical noise