Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Have your favorite tires ever been discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 02:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Have your favorite tires ever been discontinued?

So after six or seven sets of Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport's, they are now discontinued. I was a big fan of these tires. They replaced my stock Bridgestone Turanza ER33's which are just terrible. Not only were the RE760s cheaper, but they provided better performance even in the wet than the ER33's which the former is a summer tire, the latter an all-season. Well I went in to get a new set of RE760s, and I was informed they were discontinued. Not going to lie, I was pretty bummed. I've tried Falken 452's in the past. Yokohama S Drive. Hankook V12. They were all alright but I always reverted back to RE760s. Well I went with Yokohama Advan Sport A/S and I have to say I'm impressed. It's been pretty rainy here in the Bay Area so I've immediately gotten to see them live up to their wet traction claims. They are also pretty quiet which was a pleasant surprise.

Anybody else have a story of new tires that impressed you?
Old 02-16-19, 02:49 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

When the Falken Ziex ZE-512 came out back in like 2003, I was in love. had them on many cars over the years, but eventually they D/C'd them. I am waiting for them to do the same with my favorite all terrains (Firestone Destination A/T) for my truck.
Old 02-16-19, 03:14 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

I guess it's technically not discontinued but Michelin doesn't make the MXV4 in 225/60-16 anymore which kinda blows
Old 02-16-19, 03:17 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

The original Nitto NT555's were discontinued last year. I always ran them on my LS430 because they were reasonably priced, gave a decent ride, and were good for stretching. When I need a new set last spring I couldn't find them anywhere. About two months later I find that there is a second generation of the tires. I ordered the new version and they're a little wider than the originals in that same sizes. They do ride a bit better though.
Old 02-16-19, 03:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Both of my Buicks have come from the factory with Continental Contipro Contacts, and I have been well-impressed with both. No shimmy/balance/runout/vibration problems at speed, good traction on both wet/dry/snow surfaces, long tread life. Extremely quiet (together with Buick's sound insulation) on smooth asphalt, but some road noise evident on porous surfaces. The only problems I had with either set was the tendency of the first, 45-series set on the Verano to pick up screws and nails from the road and get punctures.....I haven't had any problem yet with the second 50-series set on the Lacrosse.

As far as my favorites that were discontinued (at least here in the U.S.), I liked the Goodyear Regattas and the Michelin XZX. Neither one came new on my cars, but I got them as replacements for OEM. The Regatta was reasonably-priced, quiet, smooth, reasonably long-lasting, generally good wet/snow traction, and did not have runout problems, even with stamped-steelwheels, which are usually not as perfectly-rounded as alloys. The Michelin XZX was a tire of extremes.....its iron-hard tread-compound would last forever, even without a regular rotation schedule. Even back in the 1980s, with a small Mazda sedan, in only four years, I put almost 100K miles on a set of them, and they still had usable tread left, in safe condition (though not much). However, the downside to that forever-tread and low rolling resistance was (not surprisingly), crap-traction in the wet and snow....even with FWD, you had to be careful in bad weather.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-19 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-16-19, 07:05 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

on a side note, what's the deal with the Goodyear eagle RS-A? it's like literally the only tire that is the exact 225/60-16 97V that toyota specifies for my car, everything is 98H for the most part

some people say they're good, but a seemingly equal number of people also say they suck... I remember not thinking they were the greatest, and remember thinking that the turanza serenity plus seemed like an upgrade
Old 02-16-19, 08:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
on a side note, what's the deal with the Goodyear eagle RS-A? it's like literally the only tire that is the exact 225/60-16 97V that toyota specifies for my car, everything is 98H for the most part

some people say they're good, but a seemingly equal number of people also say they suck... I remember not thinking they were the greatest, and remember thinking that the turanza serenity plus seemed like an upgrade
OMG. I hated those tires. I had three flats on those tires in 35K. I think I started a thread about them. Someone even got mad at me because I called the Good Year and not Goodyear.
Old 02-16-19, 08:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So after six or seven sets of Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport's, they are now discontinued. I was a big fan of these tires. They replaced my stock Bridgestone Turanza ER33's which are just terrible. Not only were the RE760s cheaper, but they provided better performance even in the wet than the ER33's which the former is a summer tire, the latter an all-season. Well I went in to get a new set of RE760s, and I was informed they were discontinued. Not going to lie, I was pretty bummed. I've tried Falken 452's in the past. Yokohama S Drive. Hankook V12. They were all alright but I always reverted back to RE760s. Well I went with Yokohama Advan Sport A/S and I have to say I'm impressed. It's been pretty rainy here in the Bay Area so I've immediately gotten to see them live up to their wet traction claims. They are also pretty quiet which was a pleasant surprise.

You are the only person I have ever heard that liked Bridgestone tires. Only time I see Bridgestone in good light is when I watch some of the NHL Bridgestone Classic on New Year’s Day. Where the tires you wanted OEM tires? That does disappoint that you can’t get the tires that you want b
Old 02-16-19, 09:11 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
OMG. I hated those tires. I had three flats on those tires in 35K. I think I started a thread about them. Someone even got mad at me because I called the Good Year and not Goodyear.
well idk if getting flats is a reason to hate a tire... i just remember them not being that quiet and having terrible wet traction
Old 02-16-19, 09:11 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You are the only person I have ever heard that liked Bridgestone tires. Only time I see Bridgestone in good light is when I watch some of the NHL Bridgestone Classic on New Year’s Day. Where the tires you wanted OEM tires? That does disappoint that you can’t get the tires that you want b
i liked my turanza serenity plus's so you can make it 2 people
Old 02-16-19, 09:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well idk if getting flats is a reason to hate a tire... i just remember them not being that quiet and having terrible wet traction
Maybe some tires are worse than others at repelling nails. All the flats were next morning at home. No other tire ever gave so many flat. I did not find them to be bad tires for ride. They did get noisy at the end. But what tires don’t ?

As for handling. I dunno, I have seen them be used on police vehicles in the past.
Old 02-16-19, 09:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stroock639
i liked my turanza serenity plus's so you can make it 2 people
...........👍
Old 02-16-19, 11:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

If you are referring to your IS, then I feel your pain. I go through a set of tires every 17-19k miles, which has been the only major expense owning this car. I agree, the stock Bridgestones sucked. They tramlined like crazy, and wore out fast. They are a poor design out of the gate. If you simply look at the outside edge, there is very little tread there to begin with. I replaced them with the Hankooks V12's, which rode well, but were noisy and also wore out fast. Less tramlining with those. I then tried the Michelin Pilot Sport all-seasons, due to high rankings and Michelin's long-running reputation. They are a decent tire (if expensive), but the first set wore unevenly. America's Tire Company pro-rated them, which helped soften the blow. My second set, which I am on now, are wearing much better and I am surpassing the 20k mile mark for the first time. The Michelins also tramline, especially as they reach the end of their lives. I have a few more months to go if I can get through the winter. Freeway driving in the rain is at 45-50 mph in the slow lane because I don't trust them to swipe away water at speed. We are having a record rain season thus far in CA and I have a new freeway commute that is 25 miles each way. I would really love to find a better all-season tire that still has a nice appearance (I think the stock Bridgestones did look good at least). I am very picky with how the tread looks from the side. Many alternate tires for the IS I would not consider due to strange tread patterns that make the car look like it's aftermarket and band-aided together.
I have not had positive past experiences with any Yokohama tires in the past, but I like the appearance of the ones you listed above. I will seriously consider those. I just hope they don't get noisy as they wear. I don't think that is a fault I could live with.
And so the tire sega continues with the IS. A truly superb car that eats up tires and has a fetish for tramlining.

Old 02-17-19, 03:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

What I don't like is that some tires come from the factory at 8.5/32 instead of 11/32. Kind of like orange juice 59 oz instead of 64, mayonnaise 29 instead of 32 oz. A little skimmah limmah ding dong. I get that most consumers don't even notice, but it's annoying.

When I say most consumers, I guess that was me on the Michelin Premiers and Michelin Pilot Super Sports lol
Old 02-17-19, 03:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

What I don't like is that some tires come from the factory at 8.5/32 instead of 11/32.

Kind of like orange juice 59 oz instead of 64, mayonnaise 29 instead of 32 oz. A little skimmah limmah ding dong. I get that most consumers don't even notice, but it's annoying.
I noticed a few years ago when my favorite brand (Dole) Orange-Peach-Mango juice shrunk down to 59 oz. When I asked the company-rep about it, she said it was due to increased fruit-costs, and sent me a coupon in the mail for a free, well.........59 oz. container.

Now, if and when I'm near a Wegman's supermarket, I get their own store brand of orange-peach-mango....a full 64 oz for a much cheaper price.

On the tires, though, aren't there some DOT regulations on tread-depth?

Quick Reply: Have your favorite tires ever been discontinued?