Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Cascada Getting Axed, Will Be Missed By No One

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 07:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Buick Cascada Getting Axed, Will Be Missed By No One

The Opel Cascada is slated to go out of production later this year and Buick has finally confirmed its version of the car is also going away.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/bu...uction-summer/

Even when Buick declined to confirm the Cascada’s death after Opel announced it was axing its version, it was clear that the Cascada was living on borrowed time. Thus, the announcement wasn’t too surprising.

“The Cascada has played its role in the portfolio perfectly, outselling many other premium convertibles while bringing in buyers from outside GM”, Buick told Autonews. They added that the model will be discontinued at the 2019 model year and dealers should have enough inventory to last them until then.

The Cascada was launched in early 2016 and became Buick’s first convertible in 25 years. Featuring a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder producing 200 hp (149 kW / 203 PS) and up to 221 lb-ft (300 Nm) of torque, the Cascada was billed as an affordable alternative to the Audi A3 Cabriolet.

Despite being cheaper than the Audi, the Cascada was far from a hit, and sales peaked at 7,153 units in 2016. They’ve fallen every year since then and Buick only managed to move 4,136 units in the United States last year.

While the Cascada wasn’t exactly an exciting model, it’s sad to see another convertible getting axed. Nevertheless, GM already offers a similarly priced, and much more enticing, drop top. It’s he t2019 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible, which starts at $32,495, while the Cascada retails for $33,995 (including destination fees). That isn’t much of a difference, but the Buick comes standard with leather upholstery, heated front seats and a 7-inch infotainment system with GPS navigation. Most buyers, though, are inevitably going to opt for the Camaro, so that’s that.

The death of the Cascada is the latest blow for Buick, as GM has already announced that North American production of the LaCrosse will cease on March 1st.

Old 02-16-19, 07:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I always liked the styling of this car. Very unique
Old 02-16-19, 07:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Unfortunate but not a surprise.
Old 02-16-19, 07:12 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

It is a nice looking car, from the outside.

Sit in and drive one though, and you will see why its going away. Panel gaps are horrific, and the interior looks and feels like it was pulled off the assembly line for a chevy sonic and plopped into the "buick".

If they had sold it as a chevy, say "cavalier", they would have sold a million of 'em. But selling them under a "premium" namplate just to justify charging more? Bad business IMO.
Old 02-16-19, 07:15 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I think I’ve only ever seen 2 or 3 of these in the wild.
Old 02-16-19, 07:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think I’ve only ever seen 2 or 3 of these in the wild.

Two of my neighbors own Cascadas...one of them an ex-member of our condo board. Yes, they are uncommon, even in my area, but not rare.
Old 02-16-19, 07:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
It is a nice looking car, from the outside.

Sit in and drive one though, and you will see why its going away. Panel gaps are horrific, and the interior looks and feels like it was pulled off the assembly line for a chevy sonic and plopped into the "buick".
Usually I agree with your views, Josh, but I have to respectfully disagree with this one. The Cascada is a long way from a Sonic. It is, in fact, a re-badged German Opel Cascada...virtually 100% identical in almost every way, except for the Buick Logo....interior, exterior, drivetrain, chassis.....you name it. This was probably the easiest and simplest development job the Buick designers ever did....simply transfer labels, and put in American-spec gauges instead of metric. And the interior is solidly-built, wth durable materials, just as with other Opel-derived Buicks.

When I a test-drove one, I noticed almost no cowl shake on rough roads, even with the top down....the Opel engineers also did a good job addressing that, especially compared to some rubber-band convertibles I have sampled in the past. And the ragtop is thick and well-insulated.

What this car does lack, IMO, is traditional Buick comfort. Though it has the aforementioned well-insulated top and some Buick Quiet-Tuning touches, the seats are too firmly-padded for my tastes, and the standard 20" wheels (there are no options...you are stuck with them) and rubber-band tires are a joke. On anything but glass-smooth pavement surfaces, the ride is definitely un-Buick.
Old 02-16-19, 07:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What Jill did not mention (but what I think she would agree with me on) is that the Cascada is not being axed because it is is s deficient product itself, but because of the current soft market for ragtop convertibles. Unlike the Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, and Miata convertibles, the Cascada lacks a dedicated enthusiast base...perhaps because the car itself is not really an enthusiast machine, but a simple, well-built way of getting a sun-tan. That, and the well-known fact that it is difficult to secure a true rag-top, because, usually, all one needs to break into it is a sharp knife.
Old 02-16-19, 09:15 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Well, motortrend agrees with me. LOL
Old 02-16-19, 09:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

as the tree fell in the forest... no one noticed.
Old 02-16-19, 10:28 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The Cascada was merely a shrub in the automotive forest
Old 02-16-19, 11:11 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Ha ha I had to Google it to see what it looked like. Think I've only ever seen one of these out and about.
Old 02-16-19, 11:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Well, Jill noticed....or she wouldn't have posted the story LOL.
Old 02-16-19, 11:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, Jill noticed....or she wouldn't have posted the story LOL.
Just out of curiosity. (I can't resist ) What sells better in the United States, a G90 or a Cascada?
Old 02-16-19, 11:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Just out of curiosity. (I can't resist ) What sells better in the United States, a G90 or a Cascada?

Can't speak for the whole country, but, in the D.C. area, based on the numbers I've actually seen on the road, I'd say the Cascada, hands-down. Even though the G90 is (admittedly) a lot of car for the money, one can get two typically-equipped Cascadas for the price of one typically-equipped G90. That's a lot of extra leftover money in the bank.

Quick Reply: Buick Cascada Getting Axed, Will Be Missed By No One