Default Recommended Services ? 60 K

It's coming up please advise the ones I really need for preventative. Thanks
Old 02-13-19, 11:31 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by fxturbo
It's coming up please advise the ones I really need for preventative. Thanks
i did everything imaginable when I bought my car used a few months ago, 2015 is350 awd with 37k Miles....
i did transmission fluid, front + rear differential fluid, upgraded lower control arm bushings to RCF/GSF bushings & engine/cabin filter. I had no idea how hard previous owner drove it so i wanted to start fresh. I would advise doing all the above if you already have not at your mileage.
I’m at just over half yours and I personally watched them change all those fluids and everyone needed to be changed, keep in mind I’m in Canada where it’s -50 degrees in winter and +40 degrees in the summer so I’m considered “extreme” conditions.
What model and where do you live?
Old 02-13-19, 11:41 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

i had a transmission flush done, but i haven't changed the differential fluid. i have to do that.
Old 02-13-19, 12:08 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i had a transmission flush done, but i haven't changed the differential fluid. i have to do that.
On our cars the drain and full procedure to change the tranny fluid only gets around 2-3 quarts, entire capacity is around 10 quarts... I’d recommend doing a few in a row to really make an impact, I’m switching to AMSOIL automatic transmission fluid also, the Toyota fluid is not very good.
Old 02-13-19, 12:22 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar

On our cars the drain and full procedure to change the tranny fluid only gets around 2-3 quarts, entire capacity is around 10 quarts... I’d recommend doing a few in a row to really make an impact, I’m switching to AMSOIL automatic transmission fluid also, the Toyota fluid is not very good.
i went to a dealer that had specialized equipment to flush the entire transmission fluid out and replace it in one go.
Old 02-13-19, 12:40 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 285 Posts

i did everything imaginable when I bought my car used a few months ago, 2015 is350 awd with 37k Miles....
i did transmission fluid, front + rear differential fluid, upgraded lower control arm bushings to RCF/GSF bushings & engine/cabin filter. I had no idea how hard previous owner drove it so i wanted to start fresh. I would advise doing all the above if you already have not at your mileage.
I’m at just over half yours and I personally watched them change all those fluids and everyone needed to be changed, keep in mind I’m in Canada where it’s -50 degrees in winter and +40 degrees in the summer so I’m considered “extreme” conditions.
What model and where do you live?
Do all IS's have a rear differential? When are you supposed to change that fluid?
Old 02-13-19, 12:41 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

the Toyota fluid is not very good.
Any reason you say that?
Old 02-13-19, 12:58 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

60k also calls for spark plugs.

Although, several people reported waiting until 80-100k and they looked fine. Why not though?

Another "why not?" for me is PCV valve. Underrated little part performing a great service and only $8.
Since you're already under there doing plugs. The PCV hose can wait until next time.
Old 02-13-19, 01:07 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HOMER350
60k also calls for spark plugs.

Although, several people reported waiting until 80-100k and they looked fine. Why not though?

Another "why not?" for me is PCV valve. Underrated little part performing a great service and only $8.
Since you're already under there doing plugs. The PCV hose can wait until next time.
Not sure about that plug part...they are iridium plugs, so should be good for 192,000kms or 12 years...whatever that is in miles
I would agree with you on the PCV valve.
Why the hose though?
Old 02-13-19, 01:08 PM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
Do all IS's have a rear differential? When are you supposed to change that fluid?
Yes and your suppose to change the fluid at 60k. I had the dealer do mine recently, front and rear since I am AWD
Old 02-13-19, 01:47 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Any reason you say that?
yup hundreds of forums with people who have sent analysis to a company in the us called black labs they do oil analysis and send you report back and despite Toyota claiming it’s lifetime fluid the many times the fluid is shot by 50-60k.... it’s especially poor performing in “extreme” climates like Canada, certain states, Middle East etc... or under hard driving/towing where temperature can exceed the 175 degrees or so the fluid can handle before it starts to breakdown.they say for every 20 degree increase past that threshold the service like of the fluid is cut in half. If you don’t drive hard, don’t live in an extreme climat & won’t keep your car that long Toyota fluid is fine, but if your driving hard, in a extreme zone & keeping the car till it breaks I would switch to AMSOIL or change the Toyota WS more like every 20-30k Miles.
youtube search “AMSOIL vs Toyota WS” or google the same thing

Last edited by NickCaesar; 02-13-19 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 01:50 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i went to a dealer that had specialized equipment to flush the entire transmission fluid out and replace it in one go.
where? I’m in Canada I called every Lexus dealer, and every independent mechanic/transmission shop and everyone said there’s no way to flush, only drain and refill/drop pan.
Old 02-13-19, 01:57 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

where? I’m in Canada I called every Lexus dealer, and every independent mechanic/transmission shop and everyone said there’s no way to flush, only drain and refill/drop pan.
The Lexus dealer near me has a flush machine...I'm pretty sure.
To flush it you would just disconnect one of the cooler lines and hook the machine in series.
With the vehicle running as the old fluid enters the machine the new fluid is pumped into the tranny.
Ideally you want to use way more fluid than the tranny will hold to allow it to get as much out as possible.
You'd have to make sure the level is set properly after...that's about it.
Old 02-13-19, 02:18 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

There are special machines that will do it, but check the owner's/service manual -- it specifically says the transmission is NOT a serviceable item. It is a sealed unit and does not even have a dipstick. Likewise for the differentials and transfer case -- they are sealed units and maintenance says "inspect for leaks" only. Only if they need repairs are they to be opened up or otherwise monkeyed with.

The (used) dealer I bought my IS from warned of this very thing. His gf had a newer Dodge truck and the dealer did a tranny flush on it. Two weeks later it was blown. When you flush it, all the particles held back by magnets in the unit can be dislodged and clog up in the filter, potentially causing it to fail.

Sounds great -- just got the car, flush out all those old fluids and start fresh. Sure, the Lexus dealer quoted me some $1500 to do all that they recommended, but after researching I had them do the basic maintenance and inspection and nothing more. Left there for under $250. Now, maybe after 100,000kms I'll have them take a sample of the oils, and at worst have them replaced via a drain-and-fill. The only fluid change in the manual aside from engine oil is the brake fluid, which I'll get done when I do my front brakes shortly. The dealer also recommended a coolant flush at 60,000kms, yet the manual says 160,000kms.

The manual says, "Dealers may recommend other services" and they sure do that, alright. Do the research, and save your $!
Old 02-13-19, 02:51 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Not sure about that plug part...they are iridium plugs, so should be good for 192,000kms or 12 years...whatever that is in miles
I would agree with you on the PCV valve.
Why the hose though?
why not the hose you mean? I was saying it can wait cause...well if you're doing it at 60k hose should still be ok and be able to seal back in a-ok. Mine at 87k miles I may change the hose but it's doesn't feel like its hard/dry enough to crack.

I'll double check it I'm 99% sure Lexus calls for plugs at 60k.

Quick Reply: Recommended Services ? 60 K