RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 rx 350 window lock and window issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-19, 10:24 AM
dtlexowner
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2013 rx 350 window lock and window issue

I'm helping a friend troubleshoot their car. The driver's side has a window lock button, the LED/light isn't lighting up, the button doesn't do anything when engaged, meaning, lock the other windows. The driver window only goes up and down, it can't be stopped in the middle. The other windows work fine when testing individually at the respective door.

I have not seen the car, yet, this is what I have been told. I don't own an RX, is there a fuse that controls the driver side module? I'd assume if there was, then it would apply to the entire module and not just part of it.

Based on what I have been told, it seems that the module is bad and needs to be replaced, but I figured I'd ask here, first. (I had an account at my.is, but I guess that site is no longer active).

Thanks!

edit- While trying to research this forum and other links from google search results, it seems that this is common after a dead battery/battery disconnect. Not sure if that ever happened, I'll will ask.

Last edited by dtlexowner; 02-09-19 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-09-19, 11:07 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

I bet the switch is bad. Since the window moves it is not a fuse issue.
You can get a replacement used master window switch for around $40 on eBay. They are the same for all 2010-2015 RX350 and RX450h models. Note there are wood grain variations so make sure it matches what is in the vehicle. Replacement should be the same as any other Toyota/Lexus. Youtube probably has an instructional video.
Old 02-09-19, 11:11 AM
dtlexowner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I bet the switch is bad. Since the window moves it is not a fuse issue.
You can get a replacement used master window switch for around $40 on eBay. They are the same for all 2010-2015 RX350 and RX450h models. Note there are wood grain variations so make sure it matches what is in the vehicle. Replacement should be the same as any other Toyota/Lexus. Youtube probably has an instructional video.
I'm reading that there is a reset that can be performed. I'll try that, first, just to make sure it isn't something simple. Thanks for the info, if this isn't fixed with the reset, I'll look for a replacement part.
Old 02-09-19, 11:59 AM
dtlexowner
Driver School Candidate

update- Mirror controls and door unlock/lock does not work, either. Fuse in the engine bay shows 12v. Looks like the driver door module is bad.

edit- Fuses on the driver side, under dash, are good, as well.

Last edited by dtlexowner; 02-09-19 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-17-19, 08:17 AM
dtlexowner
Driver School Candidate

A replacement driver side module was purchased from ebay (all the switches, mirror lock, mirror adjustment, etc...) it arrived, I swapped it out with the one in the car and the issue is not resolved. I highly doubt the part from ebay had the same issue as the existing part in the car.

To be clear, the only thing that works is the driver window goes up and down from the driver control. It doesn't go up or down on its own, the button needs to be continually pressed/held down/up. The automatic mirror fold button doesn't work, neither does the mirror adjust or the window lock. Also, none of the windows can be controlled from the driver side controls.

All the fuses that I checked tested good (I checked all of them).

edit- I'm not sure what normal window operation is like, but I noticed when the window button is held down or held up, it flashes 3 or 4 times before it turns off. The flash I'm referring to is the small LED bar under the window switch.

Last edited by dtlexowner; 02-17-19 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-17-19, 10:12 AM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

You seem like you have a blown fuse.
I know you mentioned checking all fuses.

Please check the 7.5amp ECU-B NO.2 fuse under the hood junction block.
Dont just pull out the fuse but check if you actually have power to it.

Let me know what you find.
Old 02-17-19, 10:24 AM
dtlexowner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nad1370

I will check that one, again (in a few moments), I will check any other fuse, again, if someone has a specific fuse to check. When I checked the fuses, I touched the metal opening on the top of each fuse and looked at my meter to check there was 12v.
Old 02-17-19, 11:19 AM
dtlexowner
Driver School Candidate

Fuse is good, showing 12v on each metal opening at the top of the fuse and I pulled the fuse to check continuity, which was assumed good due to seeing 12v, but I confirmed, fuse is good. When I pulled the fuse I was no longer able to control the driver window up/down, when I put the fuse back in, I still had the same problem, but power was restored to the window.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-19, 01:48 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dtlexowner
Fuse is good, showing 12v on each metal opening at the top of the fuse and I pulled the fuse to check continuity, which was assumed good due to seeing 12v, but I confirmed, fuse is good. When I pulled the fuse I was no longer able to control the driver window up/down, when I put the fuse back in, I still had the same problem, but power was restored to the window.

Thanks.
Thank you for confirming that.

Do you have illumination lights on the MASTER switch?
Each window control switch in the MASTER switch should have an LED light lit up with key ON.

Let me know if you have these lights and note if they are on or blinking.
Try your orig master and your ebay one.
See if there are any differences.

Now we check power and ground in the master switch on the drivers side.
We probably know we have it but i just want to make sure since the side mirrors and door locks share the same ground.

--- Pop the master switch out.
--- Disconnect the connector. (should be a 20 pin connector)
--- Key ON position
--- Locate the WHITE with a BLACK tracer wire --- see if you have continuity to ground.
--- Locate the LIGHT BLUE wire (should be right next to it) -- see if you have 12v power.

If you have both of these, then you have a bad MASTER switch.
The following users liked this post:
dtlexowner (02-18-19)
Old 02-17-19, 03:45 PM
dtlexowner
Driver School Candidate

Each window control switch in the MASTER switch should have an LED light lit up with key ON.

We probably know we have it but i just want to make sure since the side mirrors and door locks share the same ground.

--- Key ON position
--- Locate the WHITE with a BLACK tracer wire --- see if you have continuity to ground.
--- Locate the LIGHT BLUE wire (should be right next to it) -- see if you have 12v power.

I am not on site to try this, today, but I will try it and report back. I have only seen a light under the switches for the windows and the driver switch blinks 3 or 4 times after use. I don't see any LEDs/lights on the door lock button or the buttons for the mirrors. I thought there is a red LED or some type of light when the driver locks the windows from the master switch. This is the same with the ebay master switch that was purchased, which is why I think the problem is elsewhere.

To be clear, the master switch is the entire module that pops out of the door panel, correct? The master switch is not something that is located inside the module, correct? I'd like to confirm we are talking about the same thing.

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-17-19, 04:17 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dtlexowner
To be clear, the master switch is the entire module that pops out of the door panel, correct?.

Thanks for your help.
That is correct.
Did you try initializing each window?
Im not sure on how to do this step.
You might need to initialize each window from its own door switch.
Try this as well on top of the power and ground checks.
Usually a blinking switch light indicates a non initialized window.

But that still doesnt explain the side mirrors and door locks not working.
Old 02-17-19, 04:22 PM
dtlexowner
Driver School Candidate

That is correct.
Did you try initializing each window?
Im not sure on how to do this step.
You might need to initialize each window from its own door switch.
Try this as well on top of the power and ground checks.
Usually a blinking switch light indicates a non initialized window.

But that still doesnt explain the side mirrors and door locks not working.
Exactly, also, in the forum posts and youtube video that I watched, the sunroof one-touch also doesn't work. In this case, the sunroof one-touch does work. I'll try to re-initialize, again, but the handful of attempts I've tried don't seem to work. Also, I'd assume I'd have LEDs/lights on the mirrors/door locks regardless of anything needing to be re-initialized, but I'm not an expert on this car/issue, I have no idea.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-19, 05:09 PM
dtlexowner
Driver School Candidate

--- Key ON position

Do you have illumination lights on the MASTER switch? Yes, I see lights on the master switch

Each window control switch in the MASTER switch should have an LED light lit up with key ON. The only window control switch with an LED light is the driver switch, the other 3 do NOT have an LED illuminated. Also, the driver LED does flash when pressed up or down. After a few flashes it goes back to fully illuminated.

White wire with Black tracer appears to have continuity. I touched the pin with one lead and a bolt on the frame with the other lead and I heard the meter beep.

Light Blue (looks more like teal/light green, to me) I could NOT see 12v on that pin. I tested the Dark Blue with Gray tracer and that one DID have 12v. I went back to the Light Blue wire and attempted many times to try to get good contact, but I never saw any voltage. When going back to the Dark Blue with Gray tracer, very easily I can touch the pin and see a voltage, no re-positioning with the lead was needed.

Thanks.

Last edited by dtlexowner; 02-18-19 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-18-19, 05:39 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the checks.

Light Blue wire should be next to the White/Black ground wire (left of it on the bottom corner) you just checked.
What wire is there if its not a Light Blue?

Can you take a pic of the back side of the connector and post it?
Old 02-18-19, 06:00 PM
dtlexowner
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the checks.

Light Blue wire should be next to the White/Black ground wire (left of it on the bottom corner) you just checked.
What wire is there if its not a Light Blue?

Can you take a pic of the back side of the connector and post it?
Sure, I can take a pic, but I do believe we are talking about the same wire. Standby for pic.

Quick Reply: 2013 rx 350 window lock and window issue