Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

IS350 - RCF bushes installed today

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-19, 07:27 AM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default IS350 - RCF bushes installed today

Hi all, after reading a ton of threads on this, decided to go OEM route and replaced my LCA bushes with RCF bushes today. Only driven 20 miles on it so far and I can tell that the steering is slightly heavier for sure. Also I feel more of the road on the floor of the car. Nothing annoying just feels the car is stiffer. No micro corrections required when going on uneven surfaces either. Anyways, will keep updating this post as I put more miles on it. My car only had 13.8K miles and tires were replaced at 11K miles. Will see how these hold up.

(Update) 100miles later: i don’t notice any extra road noise or anything. Steering feel has improved but still not like a hydraulic steering. I feel my wife’s odyssey has more stiffer and direct steering. May be the electric power steering is killing it for me. I need to drive a car with figs or usrs to know what it brings.

(Update) 450miles later: Gotten used to the bushes now. I do feel the vibrations on the floor has increased a little and steering feel is decent enough. I have also taken some turns at higher speeds where I was previously uncomfortable as the car wouldn't stick to the line as you expect. I don't feel that way anymore. But I think I could have taken a little bit more harder bushes to get better feedback. At some point when budget permits, I will go with the 80 durometer Figs bushes.

Last edited by Gsr3is; 02-19-19 at 07:14 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Gsr3is:
E46CT (02-07-19), Jazzrock (10-29-19), Jbreezie (04-02-19), VKM (07-16-20)
Old 02-07-19, 09:04 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Please continue to update, really would like to hear more of this.

Congrats on the upgrade!
Old 02-07-19, 10:59 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Does it feel a bit like the difference in going to Sport+?
Old 02-07-19, 11:27 AM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsr3is
Hi all, after reading a ton of threads on this, decided to go OEM route and replaced my LCA bushes with RCF bushes today. Only driven 20 miles on it so far and I can tell that the steering is slightly heavier for sure. Also I feel more of the road on the floor of the car. Nothing annoying just feels the car is stiffer. No micro corrections required when going on uneven surfaces either. Anyways, will keep updating this post as I put more miles on it. My car only had 13.8K miles and tires were replaced at 11K miles. Will see how these hold up.
The bushing wouldn't lead to 'heavy steering'. It will reduce sloppy handling if that's what you meant. Not too sure I agree with the initial feedback, I have air suspension with GSF bushings and the ride is very comfy, I don't feel anything. What do you have for suspension?
Old 02-07-19, 11:54 AM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
The bushing wouldn't lead to 'heavy steering'. It will reduce sloppy handling if that's what you meant. Not too sure I agree with the initial feedback, I have air suspension with GSF bushings and the ride is very comfy, I don't feel anything. What do you have for suspension?
Mine is a stock IS350 without any mods. This was the first mod I have. When I say heavy, I meant that there is some feedback on the steering compared to stock bushes.

Last edited by Gsr3is; 02-07-19 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-07-19, 11:57 AM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Does it feel a bit like the difference in going to Sport+?
​​​​​​​Mine is a non-Fsport model. So I didnt have the adaptive suspension. And I dont think my steering feel was any different among the 3 modes. Even if it did, it was barely noticeable anyways.

What the bushes help with is that the car does not seem to wander a little under braking or taking turns. earlier, I had to keep correcting the steering. its definitely reduced now. I would not say that it is completely gone. But if you get the FIGS or USRS bushes, it should pretty much keep the car planted on the path.
The following users liked this post:
AtomicAWD (02-07-19)
Old 02-07-19, 12:01 PM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
Please continue to update, really would like to hear more of this.

Congrats on the upgrade!
Thanks. will keep updating the post after I put some miles on it.
Old 02-07-19, 01:52 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

OP is correct, stiffer bushings would provide more feel and feedback. Having extensive track and canyon experience, I would not call the stock bushings sloppy. They're just not very stuff. The sloppiness in the 3IS comes from the rear subframe and rear lower control arm tuning.

This car could benefit from some poly subframe bushings and solid balljoints on the rear lower control arm along with the GS-F bushings up front, this car would be rocking.
Old 02-08-19, 01:04 PM
PHASMA_3IS
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsr3is
Did you do the install yourself? If so, how easy was it? I want to tackle this on my own if it’s easy enough.
Old 02-08-19, 05:49 PM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PHASMA_3IS

Did you do the install yourself? If so, how easy was it? I want to tackle this on my own if it’s easy enough.
No. although I was competent enough to do it myself, didn’t want to risk going under the car. Used a mobile mechanic. Cost was about $130 for labor. He did rip me off. If you have a good impact wrench, you could tackle the whole thing in under 45mins for both sides.
Old 02-08-19, 06:16 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Yup this is an easy procedure. I knocked it out in an hour.
Old 02-19-19, 07:14 AM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Updated OP after 450 miles.
Old 02-19-19, 07:28 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

I have about 6500 miles on the RCF bushing also

less wandering on the highway
better steering wheel feedback
no noticeable noise or negative vibration
tires show no signs of toe wear

I did set my toe .05-.08 in the positive to offset the negative dynamic toe
Old 04-02-19, 01:31 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How is it now? Did you guys use grease? Getting these soon!
Old 04-02-19, 08:43 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
How is it now? Did you guys use grease? Getting these soon!
These don’t take grease because they are rubber like the stock ones. The stock ones don’t use grease either.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flash5:
Jazzrock (10-29-19), Jbreezie (04-02-19)

Quick Reply: IS350 - RCF bushes installed today