Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 4GS owner vehicles

2015 GS350 F-Sport Nebula Grey Pearl / Cabernet Simple Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 10:34 PM
Selahvie
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2015 GS350 F-Sport Nebula Grey Pearl / Cabernet Simple Build

I recently picked up this 2015 GS350 F-Sport AWD in Nebula Grey Pearl with the Cabernet interior. It was a CPO with 33K miles. I’m going to be doing a few simple mods that I thought I would document here. First up... stock photos and “big red bow” delivery shot.

The following users liked this post:
GTGS350F (01-25-20)
Old 01-29-19, 10:47 PM
Selahvie
Driver School Candidate

Default AppleTV

First mod - AppleTV is up and running on the main screen! Once I receive the DVD in Motion / Nav Unlock cable from Beat-sonic, I will be able to mirror my phone to it while moving. I should have that done this weekend.

I can go into the details of my signal chain and the products I used to do this if anyone is interested - just let me know. The quality is actually better than I expected going from HDMI to composite. Not bad at all!
USMC84 (06-01-20)
Old 01-30-19, 11:44 AM
VA75067
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

can you please share details. I am looking for a similar setup with apple tv / iphone mirroring
USMC84 (06-01-20)
Old 01-30-19, 03:45 PM
Selahvie
Driver School Candidate

The GS already as the input for video (albeit analog video) “built in” in the center console in the aux port. So, you have to get the digital signal from the AppleTV converted to an analog signal that the car can use. Here is how I did it...

For powering the AppleTV, I used an old power inverter I had that plugs into the 12 volt power outlet and converts power into 110 volt. The AppleTV doesn’t use much power, so probably almost any power inverter will work. The AppleTV is connected by a short (1ft) HDMI cable I got from Amazon:

Mediabridge Flex Series HDMI Cable (1 Foot) Supports 4K@50/60Hz, High Speed, Hand-Tested, HDMI 2.0 Ready - UHD, 18Gbps, Audio Return Channel Mediabridge Flex Series HDMI Cable (1 Foot) Supports 4K@50/60Hz, High Speed, Hand-Tested, HDMI 2.0 Ready - UHD, 18Gbps, Audio Return Channel

...which connects to an HDMI to Composite video converter. There are a bunch of options here, but I got this one since it had good reviews and seemed to be of decent quality:

HDMI to 3RCA Composite AV Converter HDMI to 3RCA Composite AV Converter

The included USB power cable just plugs into one of the open USB ports in the console for power.

Then, you need a good A/V cable that connects RCA inputs to a 3.5mm jack. I ordered this discontinued Zune video cable since it was cheap and looked to be of great quality (it is).

Zune A/V Output Cable Zune A/V Output Cable

That completes the signal chain to have the AppleTV functional in the car. To get the internet to it and have the ability to mirror from your phone, you have to connect the AppleTV to your phone’s hotspot, which essentially creates a Wifi network that connects them together. The AppleTV will automatically connect when you start the car as long as the hotspot is on. Once connected, you will see the AppleTV as an option for Airplay/mirroring from your device and in any app that supports it.

At this point, everything works and is functional, but it won’t allow the video to show while you are moving.

The last step is to get the “Beat-Sonic NDS6223EP Navigation and DVD Control Bypass Module”, which allows the video to work while you’re in motion, and also allows for navigation input while in motion. My cable from beat sonic should arrive tomorrow, and I plan to install and have it running by the weekend. I know there are other options for video in motion bypass harnesses, but their’s seems to be one of the best reviewed, they provide great customer support, and they offer special pricing for club Lexus members. You can send them a DM @beatsonic here in the forums, and they will get you set up - provide you model Year as the module is slightly different for 2015+.

I will update once I get the bypass module installed and everything working. Hopefully that all makes sense, but let me know if there are any other questions I can answer.

The following 2 users liked this post by Selahvie:
Seggy350 (04-29-19), USMC84 (06-01-20)
Old 01-30-19, 04:15 PM
VA75067
Driver

Originally Posted by Selahvie
The GS already as the input for video (albeit analog video) “built in” in the center console in the aux port. So, you have to get the digital signal from the AppleTV converted to an analog signal that the car can use. Here is how I did it...

For powering the AppleTV, I used an old power inverter I had that plugs into the 12 volt power outlet and converts power into 110 volt. The AppleTV doesn’t use much power, so probably almost any power inverter will work. The AppleTV is connected by a short (1ft) HDMI cable I got from Amazon:

Mediabridge Flex Series HDMI Cable (1 Foot) Supports 4K@50/60Hz, High Speed, Hand-Tested, HDMI 2.0 Ready - UHD, 18Gbps, Audio Return Channel

...which connects to an HDMI to Composite video converter. There are a bunch of options here, but I got this one since it had good reviews and seemed to be of decent quality:

HDMI to 3RCA Composite AV Converter

The included USB power cable just plugs into one of the open USB ports in the console for power.

Then, you need a good A/V cable that connects RCA inputs to a 3.5mm jack. I ordered this discontinued Zune video cable since it was cheap and looked to be of great quality (it is).

Zune A/V Output Cable

That completes the signal chain to have the AppleTV functional in the car. To get the internet to it and have the ability to mirror from your phone, you have to connect the AppleTV to your phone’s hotspot, which essentially creates a Wifi network that connects them together. The AppleTV will automatically connect when you start the car as long as the hotspot is on. Once connected, you will see the AppleTV as an option for Airplay/mirroring from your device and in any app that supports it.

At this point, everything works and is functional, but it won’t allow the video to show while you are moving.

The last step is to get the “Beat-Sonic NDS6223EP Navigation and DVD Control Bypass Module”, which allows the video to work while you’re in motion, and also allows for navigation input while in motion. My cable from beat sonic should arrive tomorrow, and I plan to install and have it running by the weekend. I know there are other options for video in motion bypass harnesses, but their’s seems to be one of the best reviewed, they provide great customer support, and they offer special pricing for club Lexus members. You can send them a DM @beatsonic here in the forums, and they will get you set up - provide you model Year as the module is slightly different for 2015+.

I will update once I get the bypass module installed and everything working. Hopefully that all makes sense, but let me know if there are any other questions I can answer.
this is great thanks! Can I completely skip the Apple TV and connect directly to the iPhone ? I primarily want to use this setup for navigation, audio, apps etc but don’t see the value of using Apple TV just for mirroring the phone. Also I can not clear on what you mean when you say that the video will stop when the car is moving. Additionally will the RCA cables carry both sound and video?
USMC84 (06-01-20)
Old 01-30-19, 05:33 PM
Selahvie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VA75067

this is great thanks! Can I completely skip the Apple TV and connect directly to the iPhone ? I primarily want to use this setup for navigation, audio, apps etc but don’t see the value of using Apple TV just for mirroring the phone. Also I can not clear on what you mean when you say that the video will stop when the car is moving. Additionally will the RCA cables carry both sound and video?
Absolutely. I wanted the AppleTV so I could do it wirelessly as well as use the native apps for content. If you don’t need that, you can just use the Apple lightning to HDMI adapter:

Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter

Then, you can just plug the HDMI cable straight into the adapter (which plugs into your phone) instead of the AppleTV. Mirroring and video output will work the same way as it would through the AppleTV.

The RCA cables do carry both audio and video. What I mean by the video not working when the car is moving is exactly that. Without modification, the car will not allow video to play on-screen unless the car is in Park. The A/V input source changes to a blue screen when you take it out of “Park.” The DVD player does the same thing. That’s where the Beat-Sonic module comes in - it enables the video to play while in motion.

Last edited by Selahvie; 01-31-19 at 02:52 PM.
USMC84 (06-01-20)
Old 01-30-19, 09:18 PM
VA75067
Driver

Absolutely. I wanted the AppleTV so I could do it wirelessly as well as use the native apps for content. If you don’t need that, you can just use the Apple lightning to HDMI adapter:

Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter

Then, you can just plug the HDMI cable straight into the adapter (which plugs into your phone) instead of the AppleTV. Mirroring and video output will work the same way as it would through the AppleTV.

The RCA cables do carry both audio and video. What I mean by the video not working when the car is moving is exactly that. Without modification, the car will not allow video to play on-screen unless the car is in Park. The A/V input source changes to a blue screen when you take it out of “Park.” The DVD player does the same thing. That’s where the Beat-Sonic module comes in - it enables the video to play while in motion.
perfect . This is extremely useful. Thanks much !!
USMC84 (06-01-20)
Old 02-01-19, 08:39 AM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Car looks clean. Nice job with the Apple TV.
USMC84 (06-01-20)
Old 02-01-19, 02:38 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 266 Likes on 204 Posts

First mod - AppleTV is up and running on the main screen! Once I receive the DVD in Motion / Nav Unlock cable from Beat-sonic, I will be able to mirror my phone to it while moving. I should have that done this weekend.

I can go into the details of my signal chain and the products I used to do this if anyone is interested - just let me know. The quality is actually better than I expected going from HDMI to composite. Not bad at all!

I have all the parts and have been mulling over doing this for the past 3 months; how is the experience?
USMC84 (06-01-20)
Old 02-02-19, 07:45 AM
Selahvie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bob256k
I have all the parts and have been mulling over doing this for the past 3 months; how is the experience?
It works really well... the only ‘inconvenience’ is that I have to turn on my phone’s hotspot when I get in the car since it doesn’t stay on all the time, but everything else is automatic and works great. I spend a lot of time in the car for my job, and this is setup is really awesome for my needs. I love being able to use Google Maps or Waze and have them mirrored. I would not condone watching movies while driving, but that would theoretically work too ;D.

Note that For controlling the AppleTV (not mirroring) via the IR remote, I just slide the center armrest back a bit and point the remote at the center stack. It bounces off of there and hits the AppleTV, which sits on the tray under the armrest. It would be even easier if you use a newer 4K AppleTV, since the control is Bluetooth, or you can also use the Apple remote app on the phone which also works wirelessly over WiFi. Overall, it works extremely well and definitely worth the relatively minimal expense and effort.
Old 02-02-19, 05:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That apple tv pairing sounds crazy, still don't fully understand how you would do that through the screen. Do you navigate and access everything through your phone or are you able to use the mouse on GS to select what you want to do.
Old 02-03-19, 01:31 PM
Selahvie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UDel
That apple tv pairing sounds crazy, still don't fully understand how you would do that through the screen. Do you navigate and access everything through your phone or are you able to use the mouse on GS to select what you want to do.
I use the AppleTV remote to navigate - you can’t use the Lexus “mouse” unfortunately. I got the Beat-Sonic module installed and it’s very slick... I drove around today with my kids and they were watching The Grand Tour on the Amazon Prime app on The AppleTV. I didn’t have to mess with my phone at all.
Old 02-03-19, 04:44 PM
Selahvie
Driver School Candidate

I had some time last night and today to work on the car and did a few more things.

1. Installed LEDs in all the turn signals, trunk dome light, and reverse lights. Inexpensive and so much brighter and crisper.

2. Installed 20mm spacers all around. I love this one - changes the stance and overall appearance so much having the wheels flush with the fenders. It just looks so much more aggressive.

3. Blacked out the chrome front grill with Plastidip. I’ll be doing the door surrounds and back piece soon - I just didn’t have the time.

4. Installed “Skipper” style front lip from eBay. For $65, it’s pretty sweet...

I also got the supplies to paint the brake calipers. Waiting on decals to come in and a few hours of time, and I will get them done.

The car also goes in tomorrow for 20% tint. Here are a few pics of the work done to this point. Sorry the car is a bit dirty... I will post some more after tinting...

Last edited by Selahvie; 02-03-19 at 06:11 PM.
GTGS350F (01-25-20)
Old 02-04-19, 09:32 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I use the AppleTV remote to navigate - you can’t use the Lexus “mouse” unfortunately. I got the Beat-Sonic module installed and it’s very slick... I drove around today with my kids and they were watching The Grand Tour on the Amazon Prime app on The AppleTV. I didn’t have to mess with my phone at all.
That is so cool, did not even know that was possible, did someone say you could do that or did you just start messing with things and got it to work? With your setup are you able to play video files from your phone through the nav/vid screen?

Old 02-04-19, 09:35 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I had some time last night and today to work on the car and did a few more things.

1. Installed LEDs in all the turn signals, trunk dome light, and reverse lights. Inexpensive and so much brighter and crisper.

2. Installed 20mm spacers all around. I love this one - changes the stance and overall appearance so much having the wheels flush with the fenders. It just looks so much more aggressive.

3. Blacked out the chrome front grill with Plastidip. I’ll be doing the door surrounds and back piece soon - I just didn’t have the time.

4. Installed “Skipper” style front lip from eBay. For $65, it’s pretty sweet...

I also got the supplies to paint the brake calipers. Waiting on decals to come in and a few hours of time, and I will get them done.

The car also goes in tomorrow for 20% tint. Here are a few pics of the work done to this point. Sorry the car is a bit dirty... I will post some more after tinting...

Car looks great. Did you paint the grills matte black, is the Plastidip matte black? I sprayed my grills, SK a primer that was pretty much matte black and liked the look but my car is black and thought it would probably look better gloss black, grey and matte black is a really nice combo though.

Does it ride/handle any different with the spacers? Are you going to do anything with the AWD ride height or leave it?

Last edited by UDel; 02-04-19 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply: 2015 GS350 F-Sport Nebula Grey Pearl / Cabernet Simple Build