GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

I have an Air Suspension Issue - Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-19, 07:50 AM
BobDigital
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have an Air Suspension Issue - Sucks

So I have a 07 Gx
Just got my truck out the shop having a sleeve put on the exhaust. I bring it home, sounds good, rides good, no issues.

The next morning I知 taking my kids to school. Take my son, truck rides fine.
Tske my button happy daughter who touches the low button and then hits the off button. I notice the truck gets lower. I pull off and the lignt goes to neutral, but the ride is extremely bouncy.
I notice the truck is low on the left rear.
I hit the height button and I notice that I don稚 hear anything from the compressor and not chance in height.
Now I知 trying to figure out if it is a sensor or the springs or compressor. Both air springs were just replaced just over 15k miles ago before I brought the
truck.
I知 pissed. When I hit the button, the height control light just blinks and after a minute or two goes back to neutral. But the bounce stays

Any suggestions on how to approach this without destruction to my wallet?
shoukd I just go strut masters or bilstines and call it a day compared to replacing sensors or a compressor?
Please tell me something encouraging people.
Old 01-17-19, 07:52 AM
BobDigital
Driver School Candidate

I realized that I知 so mad, I didnt proof read that last note. But I知 sure you understand what I知 saying.
Old 01-17-19, 03:01 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Don't hold it against your daughter!

But if you take it out of her college fund, that'd be ok.

Chip H.
Old 01-18-19, 06:42 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

This kind of thing has happened to me. You may need to pull the +ve terminal for 10 min. on the battery to reset the system. It may then go back to Normal. If not try pressing the down button. This may work. If it goes down but still isn't correct then with the GX started press the down button and when it gets to where you think it should be height wise press the button back to the Normal position and turn the ignition off immediately. Then restart the GX. It should hold and be "normal" again. This has worked for me 3 times now. I hope you can understand my explanation. Let me know how it goes.
Old 01-22-19, 12:38 PM
BobDigital
Driver School Candidate

Turns out my rear axle assembly has rusted and
the rear torsion bar had become detached from the rear and caused the rear to shift according to the shop.
I have to figure out if I知 gonna find a rear myself off eBay or let the shop find one which will be more expensive. 😒

Old 01-22-19, 04:55 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

That’s a new one...which Lexus dealer are you using in jerse?
Old 01-22-19, 05:06 PM
BobDigital
Driver School Candidate

I知 using a local shop
Old 01-22-19, 05:07 PM
BobDigital
Driver School Candidate

In closest to Lexus of Cherry Hill
Old 01-22-19, 05:17 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

I’d be having a conversation with Lexus....undercarriage rust issues seem to be coming up a lot and Toyota has had recalls in the tundra....same frames...
Old 01-22-19, 08:32 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
I壇 be having a conversation with Lexus....undercarriage rust issues seem to be coming up a lot and Toyota has had recalls in the tundra....same frames...

Different frame.
4Runner would be a match depending on options it has.
Tundra frames has a longer wheelbase and a wider track.
Tundra frames were made in Texas. (Indiana originaly) U.S.
GX and 4Runn frames were made in Japan.

I do remember getting a letter from Lexus stating a TSB to replace the Rear Suspension Control Arm and a Driveshaft.
But it was due for a "clunk/thump" noise.
I have a 05GX.

Last edited by Nad1370; 01-23-19 at 04:59 AM. Reason: * Idiana originaly.
Old 01-23-19, 06:51 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
I壇 be having a conversation with Lexus....undercarriage rust issues seem to be coming up a lot and Toyota has had recalls in the tundra....same frames...
Tundra and Sequoia are platform mates, the GX470 is a 120 platform shared with the 4th gen 4Runner and similar to the FJ Cruiser.
Old 01-24-19, 09:07 AM
BobDigital
Driver School Candidate

So I値l be converting to coils and I知 gonna but shocks on all 4 corners.
should I go Arrnott?
Im also seeing Bilstein B6 4600 and KYB Excel G Shock痴 for an FJ Cruiser of the same year.
Do the shocks for the FJ bolt right in with no modification?
Old 01-27-19, 09:05 AM
SomeDude
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDigital
So I値l be converting to coils and I知 gonna but shocks on all 4 corners.
should I go Arrnott?
Im also seeing Bilstein B6 4600 and KYB Excel G Shock痴 for an FJ Cruiser of the same year.
Do the shocks for the FJ bolt right in with no modification?
Don't buy Arnott, they're just marked up re-branded Bilsteins. If you want to do this on the cheap, use Gabriel or Monroe shocks/struts meant for a 2007 (Gen 4) Toyota 4Runner ( I paid $280 shipped for Gabriel from Rock Auto ), and rear springs off a 2007 FJ Cruiser (used on eBay will be fine). You'll need to pull a relay and a fuse to disable dash lights for the bags, but nothing for the shocks (they're not monitored).
Old 01-28-19, 12:56 PM
ArnottInc
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SomeDude
Don't buy Arnott, they're just marked up re-branded Bilsteins. If you want to do this on the cheap, use Gabriel or Monroe shocks/struts meant for a 2007 (Gen 4) Toyota 4Runner ( I paid $280 shipped for Gabriel from Rock Auto ), and rear springs off a 2007 FJ Cruiser (used on eBay will be fine). You'll need to pull a relay and a fuse to disable dash lights for the bags, but nothing for the shocks (they're not monitored).
Just a note of clarification - Arnott does not use Bilsteinshocks. Here are the Arnott options for your GX:

https://www.arnottindustries.com/pro...er/gx-470/2009

If you tow or carry heavy loads you may not want to switch to coil springs since you'll loose the auto leveling. You may want to check your air springs with a soap and water test. Bubbles will tell you if there are any leaks.
The following users liked this post:
chiph9 (01-28-19)
Old 01-29-19, 12:06 AM
SomeDude
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When did that change? I read a thread on this very forum where a guy went back and forth with Arnott customer service via email asking if Bilstein made GX470 specific shocks or if they were the same yellow/blue available off the shelf but just powder coated a different color. The Arnott rep danced around the answer through multiple emails and it never was resolved. Seems to me you just run around gathering up the same parts any customer can gather for themselves and then bundle them up and add a nice markup.

Quick Reply: I have an Air Suspension Issue - Sucks