Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review of a loaner Lexus while my GS is in the shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-19, 07:48 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Review of a loaner Lexus while my GS is in the shop

My GS is in the shop getting the sunroof problem fixed. Anyways I usually get a RX350 whenever my GS is in the shop however I got a 2017 NX200t(Luxury) (20,000kms on the ODO) since there were no RX350's left.This is my take on the loaner (as Ive never driven the NX200t before)

I didn't notice how big of a difference the quality is until today in terms of the GS and NX200t ( I know they are two very different vehicles and likewise priced accordingly). Honestly I don't like the interior of this vehicle at all, the screen in the car is tiny and looks very cheap,there is no heated seats or ventilated seats, no heated steering wheel, the passenger front seat rattles like crazy (unless i am imagining something and its actually coming from the sunroof that would mean the GS is not the only Lexus vehicle to suffer from this problem), upon acceleration the car vibrates pretty bad (not sure if its just because this rental has been abused or because there's something up with the turbos). I do like the rear exterior lights (looks unique) and the seats aren't bad either. It also drives decently and smoothly and the suspension is very soft and nice you don't feel anything over bumps. But in all honesty I don't think this is a good purchase and definitely not if you are looking to buy it new. I prefer the Acura RDX to this vehicle and would even go as far as to say the Mazda CX (although not a luxury vehicle is a better "bang for your buck").

I personally would never purchase this vehicle but this is my personal opinion so i hope no one that owns this vehicle is offended as I don't mean to offend anyone. Anyways I know that this is the GS forum but thought I'd just give my take on the NX200t loaner, moral of the story i need my GS back asap LOL.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by gs350lex; 01-19-19 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-17-19, 07:53 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

I had gotten an NX once and I hated it as well. Recently had a 2019 ES (non-F Sport) and I enjoyed that drive much more, really do want to try a drive in the F-Sport. Got an RX350L once, brand new <20 miles on the odo, and was impressed by the car despite the useless 3rd row. Still everything pales in comparison to my GS!

Whenever I go to the dealer I usually request an RC350 or their GS/LS (only have one of each in their active fleet). I have yet to get the LS but I'm sure I will at some point. I do enjoy having a low volume, privately owned dealership nearby now!
Old 01-17-19, 08:18 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I know option packages are different in Canada, but I've never seen an NX without heated/ventilated seats. Here they come, like most Lexus products, in the premium package, which is included on the Luxury trim.

Very, very true that the interior cannot compare to the GS, and having a little time in an NX (or something similar) can really highlight how wonderful the GS interior really is. However, I had an NX loaner for a week and thoroughly enjoyed it. The one I had was low mileage, with not rattles, vibrations, etc. I had a lot of fun driving it around for that week and I found the quality and design to be mostly appropriate for the price.

You'll be happy when you get your GS back!
Old 01-17-19, 08:34 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I had one as a loaner a while back and didn't mind it. I think it's perfect for the younger crowd and was impressed for what it was. I don't even know why one would compare it to a GS. I thought the quality was very good for that type of vehicle. It's all about Lexus quality and reliability and there's obviously a market for that model.
Old 01-17-19, 08:45 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

I had my 2015 GS F-Sport in the shop earlier this week to get my rear door panel replaced (warranty) and had a 2018 GS350 Luxury model loaner for a couple of days and I was shocked and noticed what a huge difference the drive, overall feel and steering was on that car had compared to the F-Sport variant. The 2018 GS350 luxury loaner I had was loaded and beautiful inside but the ride was dare I say boring, bland and nowhere near as solid feeling as my 2015, in fact it felt like an entire different car altogether. To my surprise I honestly didn't think there would be a difference between these trims but the steering was incredibly light, the suspension was soft and the transmission seemed to be in too high of a gear and just didn't handle well plus overall driving dynamics and steering felt very artificial and well Lexus plush like. Even before I purchased my GS I never even bothered drive testing a non F-Sport GS because I simply liked the look of the F-Sport model more and had I test driven a luxury/base non F-Sport GS when I was in the hunt for a car, I probably would have never owned my current GS, thank God I drove only F-Sport models first. I understand there was a life cycle change in 2016+ models and maybe something changed in the suspension and steering, in fact I didn't think there would be a significant amount of difference between the two models but I was wrong. To those owners out there with non F-Sport GS models is there a difference, what changed or perhaps that is how these two different trim levels are suppose to behave...thoughts?

Last edited by HontoKuro; 01-17-19 at 11:21 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-17-19, 08:54 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
I had my 2015 GS F-Sport in the shop earlier this week to get my rear door panel replaced (warranty) and had a 2018 GS350 Luxury model loaner for a couple of days and I was shocked and noticed what a huge difference the drive, overall feel and steering was on that car had compared to the F-Sport variant.
I believe the Luxury package was deleted for the 2018 model year, so you most likely had the Premium package which does indeed feel quite a bit different, as it does not have the adjustable variable suspension that the F Sport and Luxury models have.

Last edited by JDR76; 01-17-19 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-17-19, 11:30 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

OP: The NX is definitely on the lower-end of the spectrum when it comes to Lexus's category of offerings. The comparable sedan would be the IS. If you sat in an IS300 with the 241hp turbo and then a GS350, you'd probably feel the same way about the layout, the quality, the drivetrain, etc.

The NX is pretty heavy as well at almost 4,000 lbs it seems like it lacks power but competitors in the segment offer similar turbo 4's thus Lexus went with a turbo as well! That new turbo isn't exactly their most proven drivetrain for an SUV (or even a Sedan for that matter actually). The V6 in the GS has been around for a while and is one of the better engines in the lineup as they've iteratively refined/improved it over the years.

The NX appeals to folks that likely aren't enthusiasts or care much about fit/finish...spend a little time away from your GS and you're sure to remember how awesome it is once you get back in it!
Old 01-17-19, 02:22 PM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I actually have both a 2015 NX 200t and a 2017 GS 350 F sport. The GS is definitely the more luxury of the two. While the fit and finish of the NX is quite good on the exteriof, the interior of the NX is what lets it down with some cheap plastics on the dash and other interior bits. And that haptic feedback for the info system sucks. It is by no means slow, but has a bipolar personality when the turbo kicks in. I have had zero problems with both cars.
Old 01-17-19, 03:58 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDR76
I know option packages are different in Canada, but I've never seen an NX without heated/ventilated seats. Here they come, like most Lexus products, in the premium package, which is included on the Luxury trim.

Very, very true that the interior cannot compare to the GS, and having a little time in an NX (or something similar) can really highlight how wonderful the GS interior really is. However, I had an NX loaner for a week and thoroughly enjoyed it. The one I had was low mileage, with not rattles, vibrations, etc. I had a lot of fun driving it around for that week and I found the quality and design to be mostly appropriate for the price.

You'll be happy when you get your GS back!
I was wrong about the heated steering wheel and heated/ventilated seats (my mistake haha i found it later today). I honestly didn't appreciate the GS as much as I should have but now i am missing it big time. I can't wait to get the GS back!
Old 01-17-19, 04:02 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Smile

Originally Posted by AJLex19
OP: The NX is definitely on the lower-end of the spectrum when it comes to Lexus's category of offerings. The comparable sedan would be the IS. If you sat in an IS300 with the 241hp turbo and then a GS350, you'd probably feel the same way about the layout, the quality, the drivetrain, etc.

The NX is pretty heavy as well at almost 4,000 lbs it seems like it lacks power but competitors in the segment offer similar turbo 4's thus Lexus went with a turbo as well! That new turbo isn't exactly their most proven drivetrain for an SUV (or even a Sedan for that matter actually). The V6 in the GS has been around for a while and is one of the better engines in the lineup as they've iteratively refined/improved it over the years.

The NX appeals to folks that likely aren't enthusiasts or care much about fit/finish...spend a little time away from your GS and you're sure to remember how awesome it is once you get back in it!
I completely agree with you here. I definitely remember how awesome it is right now and can't wait to get it back
Old 01-17-19, 04:11 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rVague
I actually have both a 2015 NX 200t and a 2017 GS 350 F sport. The GS is definitely the more luxury of the two. While the fit and finish of the NX is quite good on the exteriof, the interior of the NX is what lets it down with some cheap plastics on the dash and other interior bits. And that haptic feedback for the info system sucks. It is by no means slow, but has a bipolar personality when the turbo kicks in. I have had zero problems with both cars.
The interior is definitely a let down and the rattles may just be prevalent on the loaner i got as it seems others have not experienced this
Old 01-17-19, 04:12 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

I had my 2015 GS F-Sport in the shop earlier this week to get my rear door panel replaced (warranty) and had a 2018 GS350 Luxury model loaner for a couple of days and I was shocked and noticed what a huge difference the drive, overall feel and steering was on that car had compared to the F-Sport variant. The 2018 GS350 luxury loaner I had was loaded and beautiful inside but the ride was dare I say boring, bland and nowhere near as solid feeling as my 2015, in fact it felt like an entire different car altogether. To my surprise I honestly didn't think there would be a difference between these trims but the steering was incredibly light, the suspension was soft and the transmission seemed to be in too high of a gear and just didn't handle well plus overall driving dynamics and steering felt very artificial and well Lexus plush like. Even before I purchased my GS I never even bothered drive testing a non F-Sport GS because I simply liked the look of the F-Sport model more and had I test driven a luxury/base non F-Sport GS when I was in the hunt for a car, I probably would have never owned my current GS, thank God I drove only F-Sport models first. I understand there was a life cycle change in 2016+ models and maybe something changed in the suspension and steering, in fact I didn't think there would be a significant amount of difference between the two models but I was wrong. To those owners out there with non F-Sport GS models is there a difference, what changed or perhaps that is how these two different trim levels are suppose to behave...thoughts?
I've driven the luxury model as well and would have to agree with you on this. My father on the other hand thinks nothing beats the feel of the luxury model (he likes anything that feels like an ES).
Old 01-17-19, 04:23 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by charley95
I had one as a loaner a while back and didn't mind it. I think it's perfect for the younger crowd and was impressed for what it was. I don't even know why one would compare it to a GS. I thought the quality was very good for that type of vehicle. It's all about Lexus quality and reliability and there's obviously a market for that model.
I know i can't compare it to the GS as they are truly in different "classes" but just felt the need to compare it to my GS as I've never taken in how good the GS actually is until today. I would have to disagree about it being perfect for the younger crowd as my age group is in the mid to late 20's and most my friends seem to share similar views on this vehicle. Yes there is definitely a market for this model as I see several of them where I live( and the majority of drivers seem to be people in their mid 40's )(to each their own I suppose). From my point of view, where I live a brand new NX starts at $44,000 Canadian and after options and taxes you are looking at about $50,000 to me that is a bit pricey for what you actually get. Obviously its just my opinion on this car and several people will probably disagree it's just not for me i guess.
Old 01-17-19, 04:27 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by np20412
I had gotten an NX once and I hated it as well. Recently had a 2019 ES (non-F Sport) and I enjoyed that drive much more, really do want to try a drive in the F-Sport. Got an RX350L once, brand new <20 miles on the odo, and was impressed by the car despite the useless 3rd row. Still everything pales in comparison to my GS!

Whenever I go to the dealer I usually request an RC350 or their GS/LS (only have one of each in their active fleet). I have yet to get the LS but I'm sure I will at some point. I do enjoy having a low volume, privately owned dealership nearby now!
I have always wanted a LS owner as well but its never happened and i don't think i will ever get one. I have never got a GS or RC350 either (wouldn't mind getting the RC350 just to test out). The loaner i get is usually the RX350. I'm actually going to try to get a LS next time doesn't hurt to ask i guess
Old 01-17-19, 09:09 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I believe the Luxury package was deleted for the 2018 model year, so you most likely had the Premium package which does indeed feel quite a bit different, as it does not have the adjustable variable suspension that the F Sport and Luxury models have.
JDR76 is correct.

This is all beginning to make sense. A number of times in this forum, some members owning 4GS (with no Sport+ mode) have said that the steering feels heavier in Sport mode than in Eco/Normal but I could never feel any difference in steering in my 2016 GS (with no Sport+ mode) between Eco/Normal and Sport modes. bclexus has shared a chart from Lexus showing the steering changes in Sport mode. It is possible that the difference in steering feel between Eco/Normal and Sport modes occurs only in 2013-2015 GS models and not in 2016+ models. Like HontoKuro, I too feel the steering is too light in all three modes in my 2016 GS (with no Sport+ mode). In fact, the steering in my 2009 Maxima was clearly heavier and it only had one mode.

Last edited by bb700092; 01-17-19 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Review of a loaner Lexus while my GS is in the shop