Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Please join me in wishing my friend luck...a new Outback 3.6R

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Please join me in wishing my friend luck...a new Outback 3.6R

BTW, with all of the talk in the Car Chat thread about RWD/FWD/AWD, all-season vs, winter tires, and what works best in snow, how's this for a co-incidence? I got a phone call this evening from an old ex-co-worker (who I had car-shopped with years ago, before he and I retired). He has since moved to Morgantown, WV.....a mountainous and snowy area (he and his wife had a house built for them there). He told me he was ready for a new 3.6R Outback, was working out a deal on the phone/Internet with a Subaru shop north of there in PA, and he had some questions for me on the nature of Subaru's flat-design engines and CVTs. He sounded like he's going to finish the deal at the dealership tomorrow , so please join me in wishing him luck (his name's Kevin). IMO, among everyday mass-produced cars/crossovers, there's simply nothing like an Outback in the snow.......that's why the U.S. Ski team uses them.

I worked with Kevin, in our FAA office, for many years. He was one of our two Staff Cartographers, and would rely on me for aviation questions (as related to our work), and, of course, auto questions. I, in turn, would rely on his far-superior (to mine) computer knowledge to help me, in my cubicle, with my often-balky computer terminal and its operating problems.

One nice thing about the 3.6R Outbacks, of course, is that they generally avoid the notorious head-gasket problems of the 2.5L non-turbo versions, and the newer early oil-consumption problems (from weak piston-rings) of the 2.0L and 2.5L Subarus. I avoided the head-gasket problems on my 2006 Outback, but I didn't have an extreme number of miles on it when I sold it, though I did have some reliability problems in other areas, such as the engine cooling-fans. Outbacks are usually not lemons, but they don't offer, say, the same reliability as a Toyota 4Runner or Land Cruiser. Their AWD systems, though, IMO, are second to none...just marvelous.

(He didn't tell me if it was a Limited or Touring model, and I forgot to ask). Touring models aren't cheap...they can easily run over 40K, before discounts.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-16-19 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-16-19, 06:57 PM
weezer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Kevin! You will absolutely love it. The 3.6 has great power and nothing handles like a Subaru except maybe Audi in my opinion. Now that the infotainment system Apple CarPlay its a home run all around. I owned a 2015 Subaru Legacy and absolutely loved it. The Eyesight tech is also incredible. I feel my Subaru handled even better then my 2007 Lexus GS. Congrats and wishing you many safe miles.
Old 01-17-19, 06:08 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Great choice for the 3.6R!!! I just looked these up the other day on Autotrader - some great deals out there.

Good thing he got it now, that engine option will not be available for the next gen.
Old 01-17-19, 06:17 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 158 Posts

Great choice....now convince him to buy some winter tires and he'll really have something during the snowy season.
Old 01-17-19, 06:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
Great choice for the 3.6R!!! I just looked these up the other day on Autotrader - some great deals out there.

Good thing he got it now, that engine option will not be available for the next gen.
One option the Outback is missing, of course, is a Hybrid version that was developed for the smaller XV Crosstrek. On the other hand, the Crosstrek doesn't have the interior room or carrying capability of the bigger Outback.
Old 01-17-19, 06:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Great choice....now convince him to buy some winter tires and he'll really have something during the snowy season.
He's retired like me, and probably won't really have to go anywhere except in an emergency. He also knows the area as well or better than I do. Morgantown itself sits in a comparably low and flat area, but, just east of the city, there are some long, fairly step grades up the Western side of the Allegheny Mountains (Laurel Hill, Cheat Mountain, etc...). Some of the grades are three and four miles long. I'm sure that if he has any trouble getting up and down the hills in the area (and I'd almost bet money that he won't) ...he'll go shopping for upgraded tires.

While Subaru popularity in WV is not as well-publicized as, say, in New England or the Rockies, the brand, though not as popular as traditional pickup trucks is actually pretty common throughout the state. It would probably be even more common, though, if there were more dealerships. You will find some in the northern and southern parts of the state, but the central (and most mountainous) part seems to lack them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-17-19 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-17-19, 06:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Congrats!

Of course AWD with 4 snows is going to be the best, imho the only debate is cost. And, of course, if you're talking about ordinary RWD cars with AWD available, AWD is a disadvantage with cost, complexity, handling, 90% of the time. I do always get a kick when a RWD owner claims his car is just as good as AWD, when both have snows. Not the case, I have 2 RWD cars with 4 snows on both and they would not be as good as an AWD with 4 snows.

Then you have those tests where none of the vehicles are able to pull themselves up except for Subaru, which exposes the so-called AWD systems as well. We're not talking about 4WD and Jeeps per se...
Old 01-19-19, 11:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the good-luck wishes, Folks. Got an E-mail today. He's bringing home a new white 3.6R tomorrow. I'll post pictures if he sends me any. In the meantime, this is what they generally look like.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-19-19 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-19-19, 11:46 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I have the Legacy with 2.5l 4cyl.
Overall the car is solid and very well made. I don’t have even 1 rattle and no issues with about 25k miles on it.

The 3.6l motor is great upgrade.
The issue is the stupid CVT - its tuned for efficiency and drones like crazy.
i rather give up 1-2mpg for 8speed auto.
Old 01-19-19, 12:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While Subaru popularity in WV is not as well-publicized as, say, in New England or the Rockies, the brand, though not as popular as traditional pickup trucks is actually pretty common throughout the state. It would probably be even more common, though, if there were more dealerships. You will find some in the northern and southern parts of the state, but the central (and most mountainous) part seems to lack them.
This is definitely true. Down in southern WV where I'm from you see Subarus all over the place. They're great in the winter, they get a lot of snow and the country roads don't get cleared well. They're also still enjoyable to drive in nice weather, and their brand popularity with outdoorsy type millennials suits the sort of people who live down there now (hikers, rafters, etc). Subaru corporate sponsors a lot of their annual events such as Bridge Day, etc

https://officialbridgeday.com/bridge...-to-bridge-day
What Subaru Means To Bridge Day

Have you ever had a good neighbor that is the first to help out anytime you need a hand? Well, that's what Subaru has become to the Bridge Dayfestival. Both Subaru Corporate and Hometown Subaru are wonderful neighbors. Their contributions to the event have helped Bridge Day keep getting better every year. We appreciate the partnership that we have built with both these groups and wanted to take a minute to “toot Subaru's horn.” No pun intended.

Subaru's Role

This is the third year Subaru has been involved in Bridge Day. We couldn't be any happier to have them as a presenting sponsor.

Subaru Corporate was once again “on board” with helping sponsor the BASE jumper rescue boats. This is a crucial role in the day, ensuring the safety of those jumpers who land in the river.

Hometown Subaru is responsible for the Into the Gorge shuttles that allow folks to experience Bridge Day from the bottom of the Gorge. And speaking of shuttles, Hometown Subaru also partners with the Oak Hill Rotary Club on the spectator parking lot shuttles.

Subaru Corporate also sponsors the Tandem BASE Jump Contest, where adventure seekers can compete to win a tandem jump on Bridge Day. Part of that sponsorship includes a $1000 donation to the winner’s specified charity. See what we mean about being a good neighbor?

This year the tandem BASE jump was even more special than usual. The winner, Erika Terranova, married her fiancé Patrick just before jumping off the Bridge. Subaru hosted a reception for the newlyweds in their ‘Igloo’ at the top of the Bridge. The Igloo also is the hub for live video of the BASE jumpers.

And perhaps most exciting of all, Subaru Corporate helped sponsor the newly unveiled Bridge Day catapult. A few select BASE jumpers were launched from the catapult this year instead of using the usual platform or diving board. The catapult was immediately a spectator favorite.

Thank You

Bridge Day was a great success, once again. Thank you Subaru, for being such great neighbors and lending so many helping hands to Bridge Day.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-19-19 at 12:52 PM.